The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » LED Par Lights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Anyone have any experience with these? I am wondering if they would wash the front of my small stage area as well as regular portable pars with gels? I'd like to switch to these so I could forget about gels, and I understand that they are naturally low watt and operate way cooler.

Chris
DAVE_ATLAS
View Profile
New user
Morganville, NJ
32 Posts

Profile of DAVE_ATLAS
I have a good bit of experience with LED lights, both pars and moving head. They don't have the throw length of a conventional fixture, and you cant put a gobo in the moving head styles, which are really the only major drawbacks. You are right about the lower wattage and operating temperatures which is always a plus. As far as gels go, there are some LED par cans that require the use of a gel and others that do not. the ones you don't need to gel are much more expensive ($300-$2,500 range) but do offer RBG or CMY color mixing. I personally prefer the CMY color mixing over RBG.

--Dave
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Thanks for the reply Dave.

For an act working small meeting areas, what would you suggest (brands) for lighting? Can these RBG LED fixtures produce a white light? Or should I mix say 2 white LED pars with 2 RBGs?

Thanks,
Chris
DAVE_ATLAS
View Profile
New user
Morganville, NJ
32 Posts

Profile of DAVE_ATLAS
Yes, they can produce white light as well as any other color you could possibly dream up. How long of a throw length do you want and at what intensity?

--Dave
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
We use LED par cans for truss warmers. They work great, run on DMX, have built in dimmers and only use 30 watts of power. The white is muddy and leaves much to be desired, but they are great for darker, rich colors.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
DAVE_ATLAS
View Profile
New user
Morganville, NJ
32 Posts

Profile of DAVE_ATLAS
Chris,

This seems to be about what you're looking for. the price is pretty good too. http://stagelightingstore.com/store/item......Can.html

--Dave
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I've programmed them for a nightclub. Worked really nice for style.

I agree about the white being off. I prefer incadescent white, but you really don't want to use white anyhow.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Currently, I am using a couple of Chauvet Par 56 trees, four cans in front, stage left & right, for some lighting enhancement on provate party gigs. I was wondering if these LED pars had the same kind of comparable throw that those standard little pars do?
DAVE_ATLAS
View Profile
New user
Morganville, NJ
32 Posts

Profile of DAVE_ATLAS
It depends, you can get LED pars that do have that sort of throw length. I have attached a link to one I use fairly often below. The smaller ones I posted above do not. They have more of a par 34ish sort of throw.

It also depends on the saturation of color. A dark blue will obviously not have the throw of a peach or a light *** amber. So that will also affect the throw length/falloff

Here is that other par that I have used before. Great product, a little on the pricey side thoe.

http://www.prosound-dj.com/prolight-led-......b928583c

--Dave
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Dave gives some great advice here -
Although the LED technology is going places, the destination is not really clear -
As a wash light, they are GREAT when the throws is not that far -
I suggest looking into the LED fixtures that are using the larger diode - 1W
They are more expensive but the are also brighter.
When the technology comes around where one will be able to focus an LED, then applications other than truss warmers and "scenic" lighting will become more of the norm.
Christopher - If you are still interested, I ( as I'm sure many other on the board ) can steer you in the right direction for a LED set up right for your application.
Steven
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » LED Par Lights (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL