The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Got this coffin with a gargoyle on it and... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I got a coffin with a gargoyle on it, it's lid comes off. It is about 7 inches long by 3 inches wide and 3 inches high. It is made of resin. It is black in color. Any ideas how to use this for an effect. I was thinking of a Vampire story where the coffin becomes filled with blood or something. HELP!
Mostmagically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Covernton
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of Covernton
Heh... Do you have container-buying-syndrome too? I belong to the Royal Society of Putting Things Inside of Other Things. Usually they end up being the end location for a coin-to- *insert name of container*

Off hand, I'd say since it's a coffin it would be appropriate for a cointranspo. You could develop patter about how it was a tradition among some cultures to place coins on the eyes of the deceased so that they might pay their way across the River Styx.

Here's an interesting idea...

Make a drawing on a piece of paper of a living-impraired individual. Place this in the box, commenting on what a terrible fate it was to be buried alive. Pretend to hear some sound coming from the box. Open it to reveal the drawing has changed to that of a contorted human form which has perished in obvious agony. Then maybe reveal deep gouges in the underside of the lid. You might even be able to have a spectator sign or mark the card in some way.

Good luck!

-Sean Covernton
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Perhaps a Poeistic Buried alive theme... and yes I own tons of things I am sure I WILL use someday.
Most magically yours,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
cmwalden
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Park, TX
150 Posts

Profile of cmwalden
That would make a WONDERFUL container for an artifact. A mumified wrapping hand, or some sort of artifact. Dust up the box as though it was dug up.

"Once there was a man who performed such unspeakable acts of evil [embelish, embelish] that the people rose up and destroyed him. He was dismembered by the ravenous crowd and each part of him was burned separately. All except for one. It was rescued by a faithful servent and buried with ceremony, so that his soul would not be bound to eternal ***ation. However, his spirit still walks, and is bound by anyone who would find his remains, and know how to call upon him.

"Some months ago, I found this box buried ..."
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

- William Shakespeare
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Sounds about the right size to put the VAMPIRE TAROT in.) Smile
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Graham_Salisbury
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Graham_Salisbury
You could use it for a version of an effect called REQUIEM which revolves around how a spirit can always find it's own coffin.

You let a volunteer select a "soul" card with the name of a deceased person on (or can be any 'soul' doesn't have to be human...).

You then open up your coffin and inside is a picture of the chosen soul, or a letter from the other side, or an artifact associated with them, or etc, etc...
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
In my lecture notes, Bizarre Magic, I have a routine based on W.W. Jacobs' short story, The Monkey's Paw.
This sounds like an ideal container for the paw!
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3063 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
It might also be a good container for another vampiric Marucci effect, The Vampire Lives http://www.online-visions.com
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
You know that when vampires sleep they need someone or something to watch over them and protect them when they are most vulnerable. Usually they use &^)) Hounds.

I would ask my spectators if they knew what this object was. They would say a coffin with a gargoyle on top. That's when you give them a little background and explain that this is indeed a *&)) Hound.

To prove the point you reach towards the coffin and the beast begins to snarl and bark. Explain that only a female with the mark of the vampire can approach the beast and not raise it's hackles.

You have certain females try and they get the barking treatment till you come to your
"Marked Wench" and as she reaches toward the beast nothing happens. She is allowed to raise the lid only to find a note that says,
"My beloved, I have gone out for a snack. I'll be back from the village soon to give you the eternal kiss. Wait for me won't you." Signed Drago (roll the 'r' in your best Romainian accent).

I think I'll put this one in my contributions section. Now Anthony. Tell me where I can get these coffins. Hopefully online.
Doug
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Great ideas, everybody. I especially liked Doug's ****hound one. Anybody else remember that film? I think that it was called
'Zoltan, hound of Dracula', or something like that.

In the Poe effects thread, I posted a true story about a woman, claiming through a medium, that she'd been buried alive, and when the coffin was dug up and opened, there were scratches on the inside of the lid. Such marks, mysteriously appearing, might be the way to express your Poe 'buried alive' idea. Of course, you could have the box shake agitatedly, and a muffled voice gasp
'Let me out'. Then all is still. But then again...

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Graham_Salisbury
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Graham_Salisbury
A great resource on this sort of material is "Buried Alive" by Jan Bondeson.

I was fortunate enough to see Mr Bondeson lecture on this topic last year. He is an extremely engaging and entertaining speaker and made a somewhat gruesome subject incredibly fascinating.

His book is highly recommended.
Covernton
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
124 Posts

Profile of Covernton
I picked up that book some time ago myself. It's interesting although I thought it became repedetive and redundant in the latter half. Even so, there's some great information in it. The word "leichenhaus" has since made it's way into my everyday vocabulary. Which is silly really since nobody ever knows what I'm talking about =)

-Covernton
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
In case anyone's not noticed, Doug's routine is now up at bizarremagick. com.

Great work. I LOVED that creepy ending. That particular method opens up all kinds of creepy sheenanigans, for witchfinder generals, and conspiracy theorists alike.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Thanks Caleb. I figured since I was asking everyone else to contribute to the cause that they might expect to see something from me as well. Smile

Your Friend in Fright,
Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Got this coffin with a gargoyle on it and... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL