The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » This sounds like a scam! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Couldn't find a better place to post this other then here.

I was browsing the internet when I came across the International Magicians Society. What caught my attention was that they offered only one type of membership and that was lifetime membership for only $25! unlike SAM or IBM which have lifetime memberships for almost a quarter of a thousand dollars with only a membership card, a certificate and a publication. IMS says that they will throw in a DVD on mentalism, a publication, website access and discounts on their shop.

nothing special about this particular organization except that their lifetime memberships are only $25!
does anyone have any background info on this organization?
their webpage is http://www.magicims.com
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
IMS has been around for a while, and they have a really good collection. This Sir, is no scam.

Your screen name is really interesting. You also claim to be interested in Magic History. Well, one learns new things each day, I guess.
To believe is Magic.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Ever heard of Tony Hassini?
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
To ibm_usa:

I've known Tony Hassini, through telephone conversations and emails. for many years. He was my invited guest at the Magic Castle about 20 years ago. He loves magic and has devoted much of his life to it. He is the president of IMS.

Gay Blackstone, who is also President of the Academy of Magical Arts, Inc., better known as The Magic Castle, serves as the IMS World Ambassador, according to its website.

You MUST have heard of Tom Mullica, who serves on the Board of Directors of IMS and is in charge of Public Relations, according to the IMS website.

About 15-20 years ago, I purchased about a dozen of their VHS tapes on various fields of magic. I especially remember the Finn Jon tape, which was excellent.

I suggest you research facts before you entitle your thread "This sounds like a scam!"

All the Best,
Arnon
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Tony Hassini a NYC magician and film maker put the IMS together. His original purpose was to put together an organization that would put out a lot of good teaching videos from top magicians to teach magic. Membership in the IMS got you a discount on those videos. The idea being that by contributing 25 dollars to defray cost of making future videos they could get more out sooner. He produced a few series, don't think there has been any new ones recently. He has had a number of good teaching magicians perform on his videos for the courses. I've heard mixed reviews of his videos. I've seen some, they were OK, but companies like L&L , better financed, set out to do something similar, that is make teaching videos by top magicians, but without the membership. I met Tony at WMS a couple of years ago. Nice guy. Some of the teaching videos of his I've seen were certainly good for beginners, which I believe the series was designed for. The IMS also gives out some annual awards, but I am not sure of the criteria for them or who exactly chooses the recepients.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1055 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Any time you subscribe to a new magic publication or organization, you always stand the risk they will go away and leave you high and dry. Sure there are crooks... but more often than not, they are simply well intending businesses that just go broke.

I once subscribed to a long time and well known publication. After a while, the journal stopped coming and I had no idea why. No notice was mailed to me whatsoever. It turned out they ceased publication in the middle of my 3 year subscription. Eventually, that person did reimburse me for the difference, which is commendable. However, It took a posting on the Café and several reminders over months of time for any action to happen. I persisted as a matter of principal because I was especially annoyed that I was not notified by mail (he had my address for crying out loud) which would have cost a $.36 stamp per subscriber.

The lesson I learned is... buyer beware. That said $25.00 is not a lot of money, so the risk is low. If you see immediate benefit to joining... maybe it's worth the risk. From now on, whenever I join an organization or publication, I do it in the mind frame that I may loose my money.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2130 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
15 years ago, when I first looked into them, they had an amazing video catalog with each one being only $10...anyone with Tony A.'s videos remember the old Burger King commercials with the magic tricks.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Have a look at my correspondence with what seems like a scammer, below. (Reverse chronological order).

The fact that he was ready to book magicians or "strippers", for his tenth anniversary shoul dhave alerted me to the fact that thsi is a scam right away. His response about how he could understand that I might suspect this to be a scam, but assuring me that it was not, made me wonder if this "might" be on the level.

Seems I am a "sucker" for these scams. I hate to trun them down without knowing for sure, and always waste a ton of time on emialing the scammer to verify.

Hi Kelly,

Please specify the date, time and exact address of the event. Also, please describe, in more detail, the plan for the event, how many guests, the envrironment where the performance will take place, etc.

I will require my flight and hotel to be pre-booked by you or your father-in law, with proof of booking in my name.

Then, you can pay me in full, at the event, in person, in cash. I will provide you with an invoice, verifying that payment has been made in full at this point.

Please confirm that you are agreeable to this arrangement.

Also, please send me the name of either the company that you and your father-in law wither owns or is employed by with the company’s web site.

Many thanks.
Jonathan

PS: Just to let you know, Kelly, that these scam artists have a pattern of overpaying the performer and then asking the performer to send back the difference.

Hi Kelly,

This maybe the right time to remind people 'NEVER' accept overpayment for goods and a request to wire the underspend to an account

Jonathan Levey
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magiciens avec un touche de comédie!
514-484-2524 (bus) 514-944-5525 (cell)
Web: http://www.maxmagicien.com
E-Mail: max@maxmagicien.com
Sent: June 25, 2007 6:53 AM
To: max@maxmagician.com
Subject: RE: ENTERTAINER IS NEEDED PLEASE!!!

Thanks Jonathan,
I have forwarded all the informations to my father in-law and his okay with your price so he asking of your payment informations so that the payment can be made to you....That is your full name and contact address.
Thanks and I do hope to read from you.
Kelly.

Jonathan Levey <max@maxmagician.com> wrote:
Dear Kelly,

Thank you for your interest in the Magic of Max & Maxine Entertainment for your upcoming 10th wedding anniversary celebration.

For your special event, Max can perform his silent-comedy magic show that includes Max's original and hilarious pickpocket routine and lots of audience participation. This after-dinner show is 30-40 minutes in length. He can also perform interactive mingling magic for your guests during the cocktail hour.

The minimum fee for his show and mingling magic is $2,500, plus travel expenses, meals and lodging.

For more information and to discuss your event in more detail, please call us at: 514-944-5525

We also encourage you to visit our official web site at: http://www.maxmagician.com It includes photographs, testimonies , video clips and more.

We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Magically,
Jonathan Levey
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
http://www.maxmagician.com
514-944-5525 (cell)

Sent: June 24, 2007 11:00 AM
To: max@maxmagician.com
Subject: RE: ENTERTAINER IS NEEDED PLEASE!!!

Thanks Jonathan,
I do understand you okay..but this a real request not a scam okay....
presently am in Uk now for a business meetings okay......
What are your packages and I will get back to with every necessary informations needed please.
Thank you.
Kelly.

Jonathan Levey <max@maxmagician.com> wrote:
Dear Kelly,

Thank you for your initial interest in the magic of Max & Maxine.

You may visit tour official web site at: http://www.maxmagician.com to find out more about the type of silent-comedy magic that we offer.

Many entertainers have been receiving scam type of booking requests.

Kindly tell us more about your particular event (time, exact address) and anything that can help us to know that this is a serious request.

Also, kindly provide us with the name , telephone number and email address of at least one character reference.

Thank you for your understanding in advance.

We look forward to receiving more details from you soon.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Levey
Magiciens avec un touche de comédie!
514-484-2524 (bus) 514-944-5525 (cell)
Web: http://www.maxmagicien.com
E-Mail: max@maxmagicien.com
Sent: June 23, 2007 12:35 PM
To: rany@bcsc.ca
Subject: ENTERTAINER IS NEEDED PLEASE!!!

HELLO TODAY,

MY NAME IS.....KELLY ROWLAND AND MY LOVELY WIFE JENNIFER ROWLAND.

WE NEED A GOOD ACTOR,DANCER,STRIPPER,COMEDIAN OR ANY ENTERTAINER ON 10TH AUGUST 2007.AS WE WANT TO CELEBRATE OUR 10YRS OF HAPPY MARRIAGE

@ 7022 20th st.
SE Calgary ABT2C 0P6.

MY FRIENDS/FATHER-INLAW WANTS TO CELEBRATE THIS DAY FOR US.
PLS GET BACK TO ME WITH YOUR TOTAL COST OF YOUR SERVICE FOR 4HOURS OF DISPLAY ON THIS DAY COMING UP SOON.

WAITING TO READ FROM YOU AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
KINDEST REGARDS
KELLY ROWLAND.
Jonathan
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
My ast email, sent to Kelly seems to have scared this scammer off.
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » This sounds like a scam! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL