We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Pete Biro Ramsay Cups (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Awesome, I hope richard gets that printed. call me old fashion but I perfer to learn from text
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2007-07-05 21:35, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
May I buy your book for the price of the genii issue? Smile

I might just be able to work that out for you Jonathan.

Shipping and handling will be around $200. Smile

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
And that will cost me $1,000 or more to reach Malaysia, LOL
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1152 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Those are really beautiful!

But I thought Ramsay was famous for using dixie cups (or something similar) for his C&B routine?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He was. He used ice cream cups, which he spray painted with silver paint. They don't hold up too well. Many years ago, Pete Biro had the idea of having Rings and Things make him a set of cups that were shaped similar to the Monti cups, but had the necessary recess in the bottom for the final production. Those are now in the cups and balls museum.

Jake got permission from Pete to reissue the cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
FYI in 1986 or 87, John V. Hope made a set of metal cups from some candle holders at his house.

For those who want paper cups, try the Haagen Dazs or Ben & Jerry's four ounce cups.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are in the South, Blue Bell has some small cups, as well.

I also picked up some cups in the Hauptbahnhof in Munich when I was there the first part of June.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Small tubs of ice cream are commonly available in the UK. It's these small tubs that Ramsay would have used.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1152 Posts

Are these cups for doing the same routine with much nicer props then, or do the ice cream tubs have a different routine?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
They are for the same routine with more durable props.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Ramsay routine, as he did it, needed a recessed bottom to hold the coils for his special way of ending the routine. The ice cream cups, painted silver, is what he personally used. When I designed the metal cups, now available from RNT II, it was so I could have a durable, metal cup, nicely made with a nice weight and feel. Jake has decided to market these so others can enjoy a cup with this feature.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 08:14, Richard Evans wrote:
Small tubs of ice cream are commonly available in the UK. It's these small tubs that Ramsay would have used.

If you have a chance, would you take a few pictures of what's available there?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1152 Posts

Thanks for all the information on ice cream cups!

The PBRCs look great ... kind of a "Metropolis" vibe to them (the movie, not Superman's hometown.)
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 12:40, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
If you have a chance, would you take a few pictures of what's available there?

I'd be happy to. Give me a couple of days to get a few 'sets' & I'll post the pics.

I've had a go at painting some in the past, but they often have a waxy coating that can be difficult to paint on. If anyone has any tips on how to get around that I'd be grateful.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I found that Krylon spray paint worked fine on the ones I got from Germany and the ones I picked up here.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Thanks Bill. I'll see if that works. Last time I tried a pewter-coloured spray paint - maybe I was trying to be too smart. I couldn't get an even coat.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1303 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Rich to get a great even coat you must warm the can up.
The normal procedure for doing this requires a pan of water and a stove, heat the water to hot but not boiling ..place the can in 3/4 of the way...oh and turn off the flame or heating element. wait about a min. shake the can and then spray for a nice even coat. That seems to break down any partticles that are in the cans as they sometimes sit on the shelf too long before being used.
Do not overheat or it will explode. Turn off the heat before placing the can in the water ....very important point.
Mobius
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 16:23, Mobius303 wrote:
Turn off the heat before placing the can in the water ....very important point.
Mobius

I'll be sure to remember that bit Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Since I live in Houston, and I keep my paint stored in the garage, it isn't necessary for me to heat the cans up. The weather does that for me! But it's a good suggestion. Just make sure you don't exceed the temperature recommendations on the can.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
This summer the garage has been decidedly cool here in the UK Smile It's going to have to be a pan of hot water.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Pete Biro Ramsay Cups (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL