We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Pete Biro Ramsay Cups (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I was on Lewis one August. It was drizzling and the temperature was 5 degrees Celsius. That's summer on the Western Isles for you!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1472 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
There are two Seasons in Scotland, July and Winter!
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In Texas, we have January and Summer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 16:30, Bill Palmer wrote:
In Texas, we have January and Summer.

You remind me of Hank Hill sometimes Bill Smile

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Mind you, if you don't like the weather in the Scottish Borders, wait 10 minutes, it'll change.
"But there isn't a door"
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
It's not as though we typically get blazing hot summers, but at least the rain is usually warm.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Richard, ever been to Anglesey?

The rain there is warm but horizontal!
"But there isn't a door"
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2007-08-08 08:24, Tom Fenton wrote:
Richard, ever been to Anglesey?

The rain there is warm but horizontal!

We had an infamous holiday in North Wales when we were kids. Middle of August - rained the whole time (yup - it was horizonal). It's the only time we left a holiday early and came home! Happy days!
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
In the back of a filing cabinet I just found 2 sets of the Johnny Paul Cups. First two to respond with offer of $200 (free shipping in continental USA) gets them. Respond to petebiro@aol.com (Paypal preferred). These are the original run and in heavy brass.

Posted: Aug 9, 2007 12:01pm
ALL GONE.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yep. The early bird gets the worm. The second mouse gets the cheese.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Son of a...

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 12:40, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 08:14, Richard Evans wrote:
Small tubs of ice cream are commonly available in the UK. It's these small tubs that Ramsay would have used.

If you have a chance, would you take a few pictures of what's available there?

I got a chance to get some tubs of ice cream. With the tips provided by Bill and Mobius I got to work with a couple of cans of spray paint (the hot water bath worked beautifully - it made a huge difference - thanks both).

Here's the ice cream tub I was talking about. It's not as squat as the one illustrated in the Farelli book, but is identical to the type used by Andrew Galloway (as illustrated in the Ramsay Classics and on Andy's DVDs).
Joe's Ice Cream

Before and after:
Unpainted and painted

To give a sense of scale. Regular Paul Fox cup (left), painted ice cream tub (centre) and one of Jim Riser's Ramsay cups (right)
Fox vs ice cream vs Riser

Painted ice cream tubs (left) and Riser cups (right). As you'd expect, Jim got the dimensions pretty much spot-on.
Ice cream tubs & Riser aluminium

The complete Ramsay set. Painted ice cream cups, small cork balls (14mm; 1/2") sprayed black; foam practice golf balls sprayed black and two tomatoes.
Complete Ramsay set

Another view of the complete set
Complete set - second shot

This was much more successful than my first attempt. Still a couple of things to improve. I think the larger black balls are a fraction too big. Ideally, I'd like to find some cork balls that are about 1" to 1-1/4" diameter. Matt paint may be better for the cork & load balls.

Richard
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
Richard,

Those look great. The contrast between the black balls and red tomatos is stunning.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Thanks Dave. I can't claim any credit for that - that's John Ramsay's idea. That man knew how to put things together, didn't he? The props are so simple, the routine is great - the thought put into it is a work of genius.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those look FANTASTIC!!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Richard,

Where can I find Ramsay's routine?
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Thanks Bill - I'm pleased with the way they turned out.

Dave, the Ramsay routine has been published in two sources: firstly in Victor Farelli's book 'John Ramsay's Routine with the Cups and Balls' (1948) and also in Andrew Galloway's book 'The Ramsay Classics' (1977). Both are excellent books, but neither is cheap - copies come up occasionally on eBay. Farelli's book usually sells for around $200 and Andrew Galloway's for $300+. There's a copy of The Ramsay Classics on eBay now - available for $350 on a 'Buy It Now'. There have been rumours for a while that Richard Kaufman will be reprinting the routine in Genii, but that's not happened yet.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 18:07, Dave McFarland wrote:
Richard,

Where can I find Ramsay's routine?

Look on the first Galloway tape or DVD available from International Magic in England or some larger shops here in the US.

Here is a link to one dealer just to show you the item and its contents: http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?key=3269&html=full
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Jonathan,

Thanks for the link. I haven't seen a review for these DVDs on the Café. Are they good?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't think Galloway had the same finale as did Ramsay (the paper coils). Correct me if I'm wrong.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Pete Biro Ramsay Cups (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL