The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Pete Biro Ramsay Cups (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 23:20, Pete Biro wrote:
I don't think Galloway had the same finale as did Ramsay (the paper coils). Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's an interesting point.

If I remember correctly, this is how it went. The main Ramsay routine in Farelli's book is with the tomatoes. However, Farelli says that Ramsay had contacted him near the time of going to press with a new idea that he had had of ending the cups routine - by using paper coils. So, the ending with paper coils is presented seperately - almost as an afterthought. But what an afterthought it is!

Andy Galloway sticks to the tomato ending (at least, that what's in The Ramsay Classics and on his DVDs). It would be intresting to know if he also does the coils and if not, whether sticks to the tomatoes for personal preference or because it's what Ramsay mainly did.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 17:23, Richard Evans wrote:
I can't claim any credit for that - that's John Ramsay's idea.

Mighty nice execution, though!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Now I gotta go dig up my reference material.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
[quote]On 2007-08-10 06:44, Richard Evans wrote:
Quote:

If I remember correctly, this is how it went. The main Ramsay routine in Farelli's book is with the tomatoes. However, Farelli says that Ramsay had contacted him near the time of going to press with a new idea that he had had of ending the cups routine - by using paper coils. So, the ending with paper coils is presented seperately - almost as an afterthought. But what an afterthought it is!

Andy Galloway sticks to the tomato ending (at least, that what's in The Ramsay Classics and on his DVDs). It would be intresting to know if he also does the coils and if not, whether sticks to the tomatoes for personal preference or because it's what Ramsay mainly did.

I need to correct myself: I just checked the books. The details regarding the Farelli book are correct. However, my recollection was wrong about The Ramsay Classics, which does detail the paper coil loads. Andy Galloway doesn't show the paper coils on his DVD, though.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ramsay was using the paper hat coils when he visited America in 1950. There are some photos of him performing the trick and the coils in Galloway's book The Ramsay Finale.

The videos are fine if you want an idea of how the moves should look. Galloway does not try to do a Ramsay impression. There are a few short clips on the videos of Ramsay himself in action. All I can say about those clips is "Wow!"
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BenHFarrar
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of BenHFarrar
Richard...what a great job. Those cups look amazing.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-10 06:44, Richard Evans wrote:...

If I remember correctly, this is how it went. The main Ramsay routine in Farelli's book is with the tomatoes. However, Farelli says that Ramsay had contacted him near the time of going to press with a new idea that he had had of ending the cups routine - by using paper coils. So, the ending with paper coils is presented seperately - almost as an afterthought. ...

There was another guy, Rezvani whose book featured a cup routine using tomatoes at the time.

The Ramsay routine itself plays as if you were doing the standard chop cup routine but using two cups, sort of pete and repeat.

The "afterthought" may be a thanks to Vernon thing where Ramsay got wind of the cup through cup bit and saw how that applied to the coil loads.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is some very interesting misinformation about Ramsay floating around. One piece is that he was unable to do a classic palm. According to Bobby Bernard, who was a good friend of Ramsay's, he could do a classic palm just fine. However, he always felt unnatural with it and chose his own way.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Bill. This certainly clarify the misinformation floating around.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Rezvani "Tomato Trick" is a KILLER routine with a bowl (or bowls?) anyway there is a ball vanish that I have taken to another level that FRIES... I use it to start my Benson/Tomsoni/Biro version.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I might explain (the effect). You have a ball on the table and the bowl in hand. You seemingly just THROW the bowl down over the ball from a distance. When the bowl is lifted (by anyone) the ball is gone.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Pete, that is a real killer vanish!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Wow Pete, that sounds great. I'd like to learn more about that. I guess PM or email would be called for unless you want to share it here.

:)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is in the Rezvani book, but I do it whilst holding a wand -- which makes it even more decptive. Man it is hard to describe. Will try via PM.
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
another ramsay's cups, I belive they are beautifull

http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JohnRamsay/Cup.html
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Kindly do not confuse any metal or specially made cups for what Ramsay used.

But do consider that if you would use something other than the paper icecream cups you may want to use every other available technology to help make the trick more magical for your audiences.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Jake,
I can't access my E mail account at the moment but hopefully you'll see this....
If you still have that last set of Pete's "Ramsay Cups" I'd like to buy them!
I'll be back home on Sunday 10/7 and hopefully we can make it happen!
Thanks,
Mick
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Anyone that has the Galloway-Ramsay dvds...I couldn't tell from the routine listings: does he teach Ramsay's "tissue paper" trick? I'm referring to the one which uses the tissues and the two glasses...
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Yes that trick, the Triple Restoration, is taught as the first item on the first DVD.

Learning that trick one is led to wonder about using the cop principle with the cups and so to make a ball penetrate a cup in a most strange manner.

And if you get your hands on the Farelli booklet you also get a fleeting glimpse into what JR claimed to be doing for billet work. Smile

So getting back to the metal Biro cups... I strongly suggest you ask about having them chopped so you can explore what Ramsay did not have a chance to even consider. Smile
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
***so you can explore what Ramsay did not have a chance to even consider***
Hmmmmmmmm..... you make me think to much Jon! (Thanks)
Mick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Pete Biro Ramsay Cups (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL