The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » First Video Post (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
Hey guys,

This is my first video post on this site. Infact I think It's my first post lol.

These clips I'm hoping you will enjoy. Please don't be to critical, the video qauilty is not the best so keep that in mind.

City T.V. Apperance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_BXPCC404

Two Effects Using Jay Sankey's Paperclipped Handling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRyaZbt_NuA

A Short Zombie Routine( Could Be Better)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08bOPxbRvAs

Magic Uncut ( Some true funny momments)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iedNgLY35YA

Their you go folks, a whole wack of videos for your enjoyment. I just hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making them!

Cheers

Francis
andrew martin
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of andrew martin
The T.V. Piece is great Francis. With your name and web site info. at the end. Man o man o man you can't buy that kind of advertising. Did you get any bookings??
You look like a young David Hoy.
One tip
write out what you're going to say.
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Thanks Andrew for the tip!!

Yes I got many bookings after that apperance. They want me back again sometime this summer, so I'm pretty excited.
MDew
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
125 Posts

Profile of MDew
Nice work, Francis! Good to know that you got so many bookings from that appearance. I hope your next appearance will be just as good, if not, better than the first one.

All the best,
MDew
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2007-06-24 06:19, McAllisterMagic wrote:

Please don't be to critical

It is good if people are critical. Don't take critique as a bad thing, but as people trying to help you...

Now, onto the videos. The first video...you were very nervous, and kept sayingummm...ummm...ummm... which isn't the best filler. When people say 'Ummm' it is a filler as they don't know what to say. You don't hear Copperfield or someone saying 'Ummm' as it isn't part of their patter, you need to get something set and learn to not say ummm... it seems like you don't know what you are doing or saying. The first effect...i think you could have gone the whole way and actually memorised the four cards you were going to use, it wouldn't have taken much. Also, use the whole page when writing so everyone can see clearly. The switch needs a little bit of work as well, I know I knew it was coming, but still was very...awkward looking.
The second effect, very hard to do on TV, as though the person you were showing had no idea how you were doing it, TV is a 2D vision, so you can't fool it, and you can see what you are doing. People are watching the TV show to see you, not the spectator, so all attention is on you, and you are doing the move...right in front of them. Though when you are on TV you are meant to fool the person you are showing, you have to remember there is a few hundred thousand, maybe even millions of people watching, and the effect is for them to see how good you are. Personally, I think you chose the wrong effects, just my opinion.
After the video finished it came up with your first time on the programme, again, I think you chose the wrong tricks. Also, perform to the camera! On TV, show the people at home, not in the studio. The card effect at the end...i couldn't see at all what you were doing, it all happened too quick. Also, stand still! People who move around a lot and bob around on the spot are nervous people, who use it as a filler, like with saying 'Ummm'. Also, take your hands out of your pockets, looks very unprofessional standing, talking to someone with your hands in your pockets. Now, the selection of the card, the riffle f**ce, she couldn't see what you were doing and had to move to see, she shouldn't have to do this...also, what did you do after?!?!?! It looks like she said stop, and you didn't cut at all, you just put the top section...back on top! And did it very weirdly.

Now, for the Sankey vids...What was with the clapping...weird...fit...at the start! That was THE scareiest thing I have seen in a long time! The cameraman needs sacking, as I couldn't see what you were doing, I saw your shoulder a lot...could I see the effect at all? You could have been doing anything out of shot! Then as for your reaction...a little...no no...sorry, but was way over the top in my opinion, may have tried to be funny, but I didn't find it funny, but scary. The second effect, again, I saw a lot of shoulder, oh and table, but not much effect!

The Zombie routine was so repetitive, and strange...and at one point...in fact, I'll keep that bit to myself

The final video...one of your clips says 'It's fun confusing your audience'...where did you learn that? In Magic, the worst thing you can do is confuse your audience. The can be fooled, but no confused. If they are confused, they aren't at all sure what is actually going on. Not even the effect!
The rest seemed ok, except for the pick pocketing...needs quite a bit of work. As I have seen a few pick pockets live, including James Brown, you can see you have quite a way to go on this.

As I said, don't take these all as knock backs, I am only trying to tell you from my point of view what needs improving, and how you can improve, take or leave what I have said, your choice
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
OMG - minute 1:14 to 1:25 of the Zombie routine, was one of the most uncomfortable and funny things I have seen in magic in just about forever!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Hope you credited that idea to the amazing Jonathan Smile
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
* Amazing Jonathan doing that Zombie move in the context of his show, as a nearly 50 year-old adult = FUNNY

* 17 year-old kid doing that same move in the corner his living room and posting it on YouTube = CREEPY!

- Edwin Louis Cole
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Thank you all for your feedback. Chris I thank you very much for being honest, and I agree with most of what you're saying. I have no reason to get angry at people who post very helpful tips and advice. I thank you all for that. I have to admit I was nervious on T.V. I wont lie, once again thanks for the advice.

thanks everyone

Cheers
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2007-06-26 19:11, McAllisterMagic wrote:
Thank you all for your feedback. Chris I thank you very much for being honest, and I agree with most of what you're saying. I have no reason to get angry at people who post very helpful tips and advice. I thank you all for that. I have to admit I was nervious on T.V. I wont lie, once again thanks for the advice.

You took that advice very well Francis - good for you!
One other thing I noticed, is that your performance style seemed to vary a lot. When you were on TV, it was relatively subdued and low-key. And when you performed the Paperclipped-inspired effects, you almost became Sankey (over-the-top bizarre theatrics and the clapping thing).

I don't know which is the real you, and maybe you don't either. When I was 17, I really had no clue who I was - most teens don't. But start to look for it, and develop your own consistent performing personality.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
I think Danny Diamond nailed it. I first read that in Eugene Burgers trick. When he was a kid up to college when he performed tricks he became the orignitor of the trick. Kind of like paying homage to the actual performer. But nobody can pull off lines like the performer. Seriously, you can try be Bill Malone, or David Williamson, or David Roth, but it would just come off goofy and unnatural. Take these routines and develop your personality with them. My favorit example is Roths Portable Hole routine. David Williamson has a routine in his book called Change bag and it's the same routine but changed a lot to fit David Williamson. Almost to the point where it looks like a completely different trick. Be yourself and you've got something

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

That is why learning from books is the best way! A) You get so much more from a book B) Yes it takes longer and is harder, but you have to concentrate so much harder which makes you actually perform the sleights and effect as it should. The presentation isn't what the book is getting acorss. Though they may suggest patter etc, this is THIER patter they use. And the great thing is in text, you can't tell how it has been said. Whereas on a DVD of Malone, Sankey, Williamson etc, you will pick up the effect quicker, but you WILL copy the patter, and use the jokes, and shout, or whisper when they do, you can't get that from a book, so you stamp your own personality on the effect.

Francis, you have a lot of balls to react the way you did after what I said. Many people would have had a go, or said 'Fine I quit' or something, however, you took it like you should, and you will learn! You have to remember that youtube is one of THE biggest video websites to advertise now. If someone hears of you, they might type your name into Youtube and see your videos, and they could get scared or something from the performance. That is why so many people complain about kids these days on youtube, as thousands of people see effects performed badly etc Magicians get a bad name. Yes videos are fun and exciting for you and your friends, but you have been on TV, major advertisement!!! So if someone wants to see it, and stumbles on your other videos, those reflect on you as a performer. Some kids can carry it, as they will never turn pro, they will remain as people who just show family and friends. To take the next step, you need to rise above the childishness and take pride in the art and show off the art, as it gets a bad name at times, and us professionals need to stick together to keep teh art the well respected art we love, don't degrade it in sake of a laugh. Again, you are incredibly brave to take what I said in the manner you did, so credit to you for that. If you want to know what to perform on TV etc, ask! We are here to help, and there are many knowledgeable people who can help and advise effects which look good on TV, as in my personal opinion, to which people will disagree, all the effects you have performed on TV were not suitable for TV, yes to the person you showed, but not the 2D TV
www.magicman13.co.uk

McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Chris and everyone I couldn't agree with you more. You guys know what you're talking about, and you are willing to help me in areas I clearly need help in. I cant thank you guys enough. I am going to take the first action and remove all of
the videos from youtube,might as well start fresh.
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Ok that's taken care of. Which Effects do you consider great to be on T.V. I know for a fact I'm going to be asked back, as they told me they want me back on a regular basis.

Cheers

Francis
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Ok that's taken care of. Which Effects do you consider great to be on T.V. I know for a fact I'm going to be asked back, as they told me they want me back on a regular basis.

Cheers

Francis
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Francis, you have a taken the first step of someone wanting to be a bit more professional.
Now, if you are starting a fresh, does that mean for effects as well? You need to have an idea of what you can perform, to a big audience, but someone close as well. Look on youtube for effects already performed on TV, not to copy, but to see what has been used.
Also, when you have a TV spot, YOU control the cameras. You tell them not the method, but what it is you are going to do, and where you want the camera. Be in control.
www.magicman13.co.uk

McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Thanks A lot Chris Will Do!!!!!!!!

any suggestions of your own?

Cheers

Francis
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Well...as I said, the TV is a 2D shape to everyone, so you don't want to do things which require a move, and if it does, you need to tell the camerman before hand what will happen.
You don't want to be stealing things like in Nailed. Also the slop shuffle, atleast let the camera zoom in if you are going to do such a thing, as I said before, I didn't see anything when you did it.

Now, as for effects, it depends what you like. Mentalism is good, such as OOTW, Smash and stab, a peek of a name and reveal it or something. Colour changing deck perhaps, something visual, but doesn't reply on sleights, and if they do, make sure as I keep saying, you tell the cameras where you want them.
www.magicman13.co.uk

McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Will do, thanks a bunch

cheers

Francis McAllister
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » First Video Post (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL