The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Blackstone Sr. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Has anyone came across video of Blackstone Sr. on the internet?
Best Wishes,
James
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Here's a place that sells $20 DVDs, a couple of which have short appearances by Blackstone, Sr.: http://www.magicvideoarchives.com/ (no endorsement, as I've never bought from them)

Also, he appeared (uncredited) in the introduction to in a 1961 film (in Glorious 3D!) called 'The Mask' but I don't think he actually performed any magic: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0085847/
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Uncle Harry wasn't filmed that much, an appearance on TV a couple of times, etc. Not much out there with his performances on them. I think the IMS has a dvd with a clip of him doing the dancing hankerchief. Most of his career was pre-television, and magicians didn't like to be filmed too much back in Vaudiville. The ones mentioned above are probably your best bet. I'll see Gay next week I'll ask her if there are anymore that she knows of.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
Harry Blackstone was honoree on the Ralph Edwards hosted, "This Is Your Life" in 1960.

That would be fun to see again.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, I think one of those old laser disks was done of that show, but I don't recall it ever being put out in any other medium. 1960 was before video tape came into mainline use for TV shows. As I recall they sent home a film of the episode with the family, not sure if Gay has it or even knows where it is. Not all of Uncle Harry's stuff made it down to Harry, Jr. I'll ask Gay and see if she knows it's whereabouts.
Damon
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Damon
Thanks,

From a historical point of view (which is my love), I would think there would be a lot of interesting stuff there. I would really like to see it!!!

Just as a little side note. My uncle, James P. "Jimmy" Damon (1896-1979) of Oshkosh, WI became friends with Blackstone back in 1914 when Harry was going to be billing himself as Fredrick The Great. He was building his show at the old Grand Opera house in town. Harry was befriended by many of the local boys like J.C. (Joe) Walter (1881-1951) and others and they would meet and spend time at the Oaks Magical Company. The proprietor, John "Mighty" Oaks (1889-1918) was also a fine young performer and showman, and well respected by Harry, having worked with him on the showboats around 1910. From that time on, my uncle remained friends with Harry and always said he was truly one of the nicest men he ever met in magic.

I am currently doing research on John Oaks and the Oaks Magical Company. Anyone with anything to share concerning either would be greatly appreciated. No item, or piece of information is too small. Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

Regards, Mark Damon
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
I think that Collector's Workshop still sells a video of Blackstone Sr. on his television show. I bought one from them a while back and really enjoyed it.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

I just checked neither Collector's or Viking has a video of Uncle Harry. Ar you sure it wasn't the video of Harry, Jr. you got from them? Uncle Harry never had a television show. He didn't appear on television much at all. Probably the longest TV piece he did was the "This is Your Life" episode.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I almost got my hads on the "This Is Your LIfe" Records to
transfer to DVD. But they were being sent up with a bunch
of things to MInnesota. I don't where they are now.

Anyway, I have some video of Harry performing. Some BW
and some Colour. Unfortunately I don't have transfered
digitally. But its great. to watch this tape. Because
it has Thurston and Dante too.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
The video I got from Collector's Workshop is called We Remember Blackstone and features television appearances of Blackstone Sr. It has a copyright of 1994 and features many of Blackstone Sr.'s routines performed by him. I know that I also saw it being sold by Steven's but maybe it's no longer available?
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Thank you for the info...I will let you know what I come up with.
Best Wishes,
James
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
You might check with the S.A.M. National "Film & Tape Library". I imagine everything is on dvd by now and members can access vintage records on just about every performer who ever appeared in a visual medium at a very reasonable cost.

Julie
dabru
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of dabru
As I remember, station WBTV in Charlotte, N.C. carried during the
early 1950's, a five minute nightly film of Blackstone performing
some of the feats that he had become known for. The films were shown
every night at around 6:55 PM and were wonderful. For years I have wanted
to see them again. I believe there were about ten or fifteen episodes,
and I waited with intensity every night for their appearence. Does anyone
remember these little gems?

dabru
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
I believe that these are the ones on the We Remember Blackstone video. I loved seeing all of his old routines,
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Harry Jr. hosted a late night campy show in which he performed some magic with a movie called "The Mask". It was in 3D but was not aware that Sr. had ever did the same hosting.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
omk
View Profile
Regular user
Florida's Space Coast
108 Posts

Profile of omk
"The video I got from Collector's Workshop is called We Remember Blackstone and features television appearances of Blackstone Sr. It has a copyright of 1994 and features many of Blackstone Sr.'s routines performed by him. I know that I also saw it being sold by Steven's but maybe it's no longer available?"

It's still available from Stevens on their media closeout section for $12.50.

Dave
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

Yup, and about the only one still out there now. Talked with Gay this week, she says the This is Your Life video has come up several times, all the rights to it is owned by Ralph Edwards productions. It was once put out on laser disk, but is no longer available. There have been some This is Your life vids recently released by Edwards production, Gay was going to try to talk to the guy who now runs Edwards production and see if he would consider putting that one out on video.
They did a tribute to both Blackstone's at IBM convention, generally there is an official photographer and video done at such conventions, you might see if you can get a copy of that from the IBM. Gay did the floating lightbulb as part of it.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Photius, were you at the 1985 IBM when they
celebrated Sr. 100th birthday?

Curious if you have any photos of when they
had the panel discussion.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17161 Posts

No in 1985 the U.S Naval Reserve required my time for summer camp when the IBM convention was going on, so I didn't get to go. I wanted to be there, but Uncle Sam insisted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Blackstone Sr. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL