The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Do you think it is possible to fold a bill... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
...like this without any glue ?

Check :
http://ibelgique.ifrance.com/tropsimple/neale.html

It is from Neale's genius mind !
:goof:
CloseUpMagicKid
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
105 Posts

Profile of CloseUpMagicKid
That's cool. And yes it looks possible. Just need to know where the cuts are.

Now... why would you do this?
"Careful! The beverage you are about to enjoy is extremely hot!" -Starbucks Coffee

GlennMagasDotCom
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Fold...
I suspect not with just one bill and no cuts
...to all the coins I've dropped here
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Quote:
Now... why would you do this?

I think it's great looking and I LOVE strange and topologic things of this type ! It's like impossible object, you get crazy just looking at them Smile
Smile
I think there are 2 cuts lengthwise…and 2 bills ? Why not…
Lance Pierce
View Profile
Special user
878 Posts

Profile of Lance Pierce
That's very interesting. In one of Martin Gardner's books (one of his compilations of articles from SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, I believe), he showed how to take a strip of leather that had two vertical and parallel slits in it and braid it, even though the slits didn't reach all the way to either end of the strap. I could be very wrong, but in looking at the picture of the bill, it resembles very much what I think a bill would look like if two slits were torn across its length and then the bill was braided in the same fashion as Gardner outlined.

Cheers,

Lance
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Yes, Okay one bill and a few cuts and it pull the strips through the slits and you are set.
Not exactly a quickie, though perhaps a cute way to add to the 'torn and restored'
think before you cut the bill.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
CloseUpMagicKid
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
105 Posts

Profile of CloseUpMagicKid
Yeah looks like one bill and a few cuts.

Smile
"Careful! The beverage you are about to enjoy is extremely hot!" -Starbucks Coffee

GlennMagasDotCom
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I have one of those. Neale gave it to Greg Wilson and I talked him into giving it to me. No cuts.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
NO CUTS !!!! Smile

It sound/look impossible Smile
but that would be even greater !
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Looks to me (and LOOKS pretty obvious) that there are four small pieces the size of a die torn on 3 sides and folded back out of the way.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Like I said, there are no cuts. The bill is torn and folded in and pulled through. But the tears are INSIDE the borders. There's nothing folded under (like it was made with two bills.) You turn it over and the other side looks the same. I'm sitting here with it in my hands and I STILL don't understand it. Greg was going to put this on his video but he said it would have taken too long to explain. It's a VERY cool impossible looking object.
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
I have Roberts video and he is a thinker. His orgami rabbit is really cool too. Does he have this fold avaliable somewhere?
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
You can find the "orgami rabbit" (in the hat ?) in Robert Neale's book "Folding money fooling" !
I put a thread on this book "in the good, garbage..." and it seems to be a nice book
Smile but doesn't work for bill which has not a 7:3 ratio (dollar) Smile
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
In Neales folding money book are there a lot of different things he teaches to fold. If so what are they?
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
This item appears to be Neale's "Baffling Bill Braid" from Folding Money Fooling p. 90. There are defintely cuts in the bill, but as stated above, they don't cut through the border. They are slits in the interior of the bill. Neale says that the braided bill is based on something familiar to workers in leather craft. He credits Martin Gardner's "The Church of the Fourth Dimension" from his work "The Unexpected Hanging And Other Mathematical Diversions" p. 71-74. Neale's contribution was achieving the effect in paper without any extra length in the slits.

I've got the book open and am going to go make one of these!

Mike
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Is this book readily availiable and if so where can it be purchased?
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
Wow, I am an advanced origamist (Robert NEale is one of my favorites especially his modular origami) and that looks really weird... I have one picture where he "weaved" a dollar bill on a train in France or something and it looked incredulous...Does anybody here do origami or amI (like always) the only one? LOL

-Max
white hats rule.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
I would buy the book just for this "Baffling Bill Braid" but the problem is the ratio Smile
I like to know if this fold need a specific ratio bill or not ??
Mike Powers, can you tell us what currency you are using ?

Thanks a lot
- Nicolas
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
Quote:
On 2003-02-19 20:49, midknightmagic wrote:
Is this book readily availiable and if so where can it be purchased?

You can get Neale's Folding Money Fooling from a magic dealer. Try Denny & Lee or H & R Magic books. If you like origami you'll be pleased with it.

Dale Hoyt
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Bob mentions that the length-width ratio of a dollar bill (7:3) makes the braiding more difficult. He recommends that you first try it with a piece of paper three times as long a bill but the same width to see what to do.

My first attempt went down in flames. As Bob states, the first of three braids is easy. Then he says "To put it mildly, the rest of the braiding is more difficult."

Each of the next two braiding moves leaves what he calls a "mess" at the bottom. Because of the 7:3 ratio, you've got to untangle the mess after each braid, instead of waiting until you're done and fixing the mess.

His instructions show a rectangle with three strips colored red, yellow and blue. I tried it with a normal bill and got totally goofed up on the 2nd of 3 braids. The only hope for me is to take a 7:3 piece of paper and color it as he shows in the directions. It will be much easier to follow what's going on.

Anyone interested in origami should have fun with this book. There are some easy but cool items for us novices e.g. the Hyper Bill, the Bunny Bill..

Hyperflex shows how to turn the Hyperbill into a "flexabill" which can be shown to have 4 sides...

Mike

BTW Earle Oaks is an expert at origami. At FFFF he had a box full of origami items made from bills. You can see a few pictures of him and his creations at:

http://www.mallofmagic.com/ffff01_1.htm

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Do you think it is possible to fold a bill... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL