The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » In praise of the lowly corded microphone. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1801 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I, like many here, love having a nice wireless headset microphone (I actually have two: one Shure, one Sennheiser.) As nice as they are, I have always kept a corded Audio-Technica headset mic in my suitcase table in case it's needed. (If for some reason, I was having trouble with the wireless system or I just didn't bring a wireless because I didn't think I would need a mic., its always there.)

Also, like many here, I've been searching for that ideal small PA system for birthday parties, libraries, etc. Well, I settled on the Roland CM-30 PA system and I love it. (If you want details on it, go to: rolandus.com

The one thing the Roland doesn't have is a built-in wireless microphone. That's where my corded A-T headset comes in. This Summer, I've used the Roland for 17 shows and I haven't bothered with my wireless systems at all. Since the shows I use the Roland for are my one-man show, I don't have to use a wireless headset. I know many younger magicians will wonder how I deal with a cord but I used a corded lavaliere microphone for the first six years of my career so it's nothing unusual. I move around plenty but I use a long enough cord so that's not a problem. With a little practice, you get used to having a cord behind you.

The thing is that it's so convenient. I plug it into the Roland and I'm ready. Sure, a built-in wireless is just as convenient but boy does it cost more! My Roland system cost $175 and the my corded mic cost $60 on sale. The sound quality of my corded mic. is as good or better than my wireless headsets.

The only time I have to use a wireless headset is when I'm doing my illusion show. For everything else, the corded mic works fine. I'll still use a wireless regularly for some shows but I don't have to.

So, if you're looking for an inexpensive microphone that sounds good, you might want to look into a corded mic.. (If you're wondering which corded mic. I use, it's this one: musiciansfriend.com)

Michael
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...nothing wrong with working with tried and tested equipment. Works every time!

Mark.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » In praise of the lowly corded microphone. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL