The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » An Interesting Final Load... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
Wow, I asked this question last night and there are already tons of answers. I think that I will just use sponge balls or other large balls for my final loads since birds seem like a huge hassle.

Also on another note, I think it's weird that I always post questions about cups and balls because I'm more of a card guy... However, that will probably change once I'm done studying Ammar's "Complete Cups and Balls" and Mendoza's "My Best".
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's all right, Matt. A lot of us are reformed card guys.

I still do a lot of cards.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
I actually use both in the same routine (card and cups & balls), I used limes for my final load, but I am looking at getting Gazzo's street cups to start building a better routine. Would Ammar's Complete Cups and Balls be better?

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask,
T.G. Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Start with Ammar. Then Gazzo. Then Bob White. Just don't try to BE Gazzo.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Don't worry! I do not plan on being another Gazzo...I just want to be able to do more in my routine. I will look into getting Ammar when I have the chance.

Thanks,
Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's good. Gazzo is a good friend, but there are too many people who don't understand how to do his lines that are doing them. The result is that people get angry instead of being entertained.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I've always been partial to wind-up toys as my final loads. I've used little robots, flying saucers, hopping rabbits and frogs, and godzilla like toys that shot sparks out of their mouths as they walked across the table. I like the idea of having an object with movement at the end of the routine.

Tony
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
Starting out learning C&B what is the best order for learning the handling. I have Ammar tapes and Gazzo on order as well as Books of Wonder. I feel that there is probably a logical sequence foe doing things. appreciate all your input.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Yes, I love to watch Gazzo perform, and understand what you mean about his lines. Right now, I am using a routine from Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic Book. It is a good beginners routine, but I am looking to up grade my performance.

I will go with Ammar, then later when I have more of a performance style worked out, I will get Gazzo. In this way I hope that I will not pick up to much of their style.

Thanks guys,
T.G. Danton
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It sounds to me like you know what to do. If you have already worked out a character, this will keep you on the right track.

Good luck.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Gazzo's current Penguin video teaches the subtleties in great detail. Moreso than the Ammar video. Watch the show once for entertainment, then concentrate on his teaching session and you'll do fine. Don't fall into the trap of developing your "style" only to learn later that your technique is flawed. I firmly believe in the quote in my signature line below.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Okay...I think I understand what you are saying. I have not yet really developed a style, although I always end up being a little funny. I have a terrible habit of watching people and picking up their habits/style of things. In fact I pick up other peoples accents if I talk to them for a long time.

So it's not that I want to work more on my style then technique, I just don't want to work really hard on my technique, then wake up one day and have someone tell me I look just like "whoever".

Thanks,
Danton
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bob White's DVD has some excellent technical material, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Technique does not make style and from what you posted it sounds like your confusing the two.
Technical details may be the same but the execution and mannor are style.

Look at Ammar and Vernon on the DVD's ...the technique is similar ...the execution is stylisticly different....same goes if you examine Vernon and Gazzo...the routines are essentially the same but the Styles are totally different.
Mobius
coincard
View Profile
New user
Paducah, Kentucky
54 Posts

Profile of coincard
My working routine is with David Willamsons 2 cup routine. (Williamson's Wonders)

Here is me performing it for a coffee shop show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soYfi0bqqeY

I have tried Tommy Wonders routine and it lacked he reaction from lay people. Magis love it though.
Todd Duff

ToddDuff.com
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Actually, I am fully aware of the difference between style and technique. I want to learn the techniques, but not accidentally pick up the style of the person I am learning from

I'm not sure if you understood what I meant, For example, I watched Jeff McBrides 'Manipulation Without Tears', and learned the techniques fine, but for three days my family asked why I was talking funny. I found out that I was talking like Jeff, without knowing it. This is going back to not wanting to pick up on other performers STYLE. So then for the techniques, is Ammar a good way to go? I hope so....I will make my own style later, once I have the TECHNIQUES. I have seen Dai Vernon, and Ammar, and Johnny "Ace" Palmer, and can see where they use the same techniques, but their styles are rather different.

Please try to understand what I am saying....I hope I am not to confusing.

Also, for a interesting final load, has anyone ever used cards? I was thinking that would be a good way to go from your cups and balls, into a card routine. Maybe I am the only one, but I thought it might be a good idea.
I think any kind of fruit is good. I try to stay away from tennis balls though, as so many people use them. and they aren't my STYLE (as little of it as I might have).

By the way, well done CoinCard. A very nice performance.

Danton
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Danton:- Anything goes in the cups & balls.

Personally, I think cards would make less of an impact as a final load: they might be 'surprising' but they don't have the full effect of fruit/large balls since these often seem too big for the cups. The cups & balls work much better as a stand-alone showpiece - no reason to link them with anything else.

Tennis balls are great: they're light to carry, load quietly and the bright yellow colour makes them seem even bigger.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1301 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Cards production as a bridge to more magic ....I have used that in the past.
See how it plays for you. I no longer do that because it did not play for my audiences.
The cards do not need to fit in the cups for you to produce them.
Did you ever figure out why you picked up the speach patterns that way? That will help you learn better and also teach you how you learn.

Well done Coincard...what cups were you using? Johnson's
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Quote:
On 2007-07-01 19:23, The Great Danton wrote:
For example, I watched Jeff McBrides 'Manipulation Without Tears', and learned the techniques fine, but for three days my family asked why I was talking funny. I found out that I was talking like Jeff, without knowing it.

Danton

Hopefully you did not start to dress like Mr. McBride. Smile

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Ammar

Gazzo

Bob White

Rafael Benatar

Al Schneider's LA Street Cups

Each of these has something different and necessary to offer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » An Interesting Final Load... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL