The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Doug Higley's "Ripper set" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
I guess many of you who don't haunt the 'Bizarre' forum will be aware of Mr Higley's work; he produces hand crafted curios, body bits and stuff normally found in the freak-show tents of fayres & sideshow of by-gone years.
Recently he has produced a set based upon Jack the Ripper and his final victim, Mary Kelly (although the props could so easily be adapted to pirate stories, Indiana Jones, Adams' Family, etc). I've been using these to great effect for a few weeks now, and the response is overwhelming!
I think (ahem!) I have a few good solid pieces in my close up repertoire, but nothing gets talked about more that "my bits"! Recently I used Doug's props in a close-up competition: I found that they allow great byplay as well as being part of a very strong (and likely already known to most of you) piece of mentalism. The reaction from the audience was great, and if the performer handles the parts as "something icky" you can bet the spectator does too.
Pictures of the competition may be seen here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/magicmartyy......7333.htm

Doug's work may be seen here:
http://grindshow.com/GrindShow/Dark_Museum__2.html

Highly recommended, and I guarantee you, something very, very different that will have them talking for weeks!
Steve
[
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks Steve and congratulations on 1st Place in the Close-Up competition!

What I find important about that win is, it wasn't a Bizarre competition and you're a real Doctor! haha. (Actually one of a few real Medical folks who do the DM!)

The Dark Museum has always been for 'everybody' not just Bizarrists (who thankfully adopted it as a signature effect). I originally designed it as an Adventure Mentalism/Magic piece and was fortunate in that the great performer Jon Stetson bought the 1st set and had fun with it in his show. Instant credibility for me! Smile But many performers do not yet see the versatility of the bit and think of it only as a Bizarrist routine which it is not (unless you want it to be of course).

Example...with the success of Pirate movies for all age groups or even the Harry Potter series...the New Demented All Seeing Eye can be related to the Mad Eye Moody character easily.

So it was very refreshing to hear of your win in a 'general' vein up against other 'mainstream' routines!

Cool! Higley's Dark Museum: Doctor Approved! haha
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Docsteve

Winning a competition is a great accomplishment; winning one with bizarre material is almost unheard of! Congratulations, you deserve the credit, yes Doug give great tools to work with, but in performance it is the craftsman and not his tools that must shine, and did just that.

Tony
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Just another glowing reccomendation for those Incedible Higley's....

I use the Dark Museum and I have a Custom Higley Necklace.... the necklace is so strong, I have to be careful where I wear it when performing.... (Now ain't that cool...)
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Doug Higley's "Ripper set" (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL