The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tips on DL please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Hi!
I am right now trying to improve my double lift and I would like to have as many tips as possibly on that move.
I am doing the basic DL but I have worked on the DL for a long time now and I need to improve. Any special grip or sleight is welcome.
Smile
Jonatan Bank
miracle
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
95 Posts

Profile of miracle
I'm practicing the Braue DL, from the book Show Stoppers - by Jean Hugard and Fred Braue. It is one of the no-break DLs, and according to what the book said, it's easy to handle, and natrual.
Pasteboardmoves
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Pasteboardmoves
Well,

I could go on about DL's for ages but I will give a few tips now.

1. The get ready (if any) should be done under squaring the deck and the break held by your pinkie should be held not by the whole of the little finger but by a tiny segment of flesh, the pad of the pinkie. Do not insert the finger into the break.

2. Now that you have the break, move your RH away. Gesture with the RH before going into the turnover. If you are seen fumbling around with the top card(s) and then you turn them over it will look suspicious.
Time misdirection is important, after you have gotten a discreet break leave it alone for a few seconds before the turnover. This way it looks like you simply go into a turnover of the top card without any delay of fumbling.

3. It would be helpful if you stated which method you are learning so lets assume you are using the standard DL from The Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue. I don't think there's much else to say about the actual turnover, it is coverd pretty well in RR. All I can say is practice it until you can do it smoothly and effortlessly and as long as you have a light touch you will be ok. Though I don't think it's necessary to run your thumb along the inner edges of the card(s) squaring them, a bit of a give away if you ask me. With practice the cards will stay together and will not need squaring. Always have a light touch with cards, never be too hard on them and just relax. It's the (light) pressure of the LH thumb and 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers that keep the cards flush. Forefinger is at the outer end, this is called the mechanics grip.

4. Turn over single cards the same way as you do a double but try to make both turnovers look easy and relaxed.
I don't think this is 100% necessary as I've never seen any magician do the same actions for single and doubles. I would be interseted to see what others are doing. Most magicians push off and snap a single when turning it over, the best solution would be to find the best DL that there is. I think the one David Blaine uses is the best I've seen/used but he over uses it in my opinion. Does anyone know where this originated, where it's taught, I don't use it as I don't own wrights to it, i.e. Book, video, lecture notes et. I learn it from watching David Blaine do it but as I said don't use it anymore for ethical reasons.

5. Practice to look away (at the spectator) during the turnover, the less heat on it the better if you ask me. If you need to know what the card is glance down in a natural manner noting the card and naming it in an AC routine for example. If you/they don't even pay attention to the turnover then you can even get away with a basic one, the only time you should look at the cards is when displaying them, whatever you look at they will look at, so a subsconcious glance will signal them to look at and note the card you are displaying. The turnover should not even be noticed, it isn't important in the mind of the spectator.
Looking away isn't all that hard, you will probably be worried at fist because you will need to know that the cards have stayed squared so you will need to look, over time (and with practice) it will become second nature.

Hope this helps.

John.
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Get Double Take by Greg Wilson! Smile

All that you will really need to get a good start on learning the DL.
Drive Carefully
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
I would say practise youre pinky count its hard in the begining but its wourth it

Niels
sourcerer
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
175 Posts

Profile of sourcerer
I'd have to agree with LeConte, if Double Take won't get you double lifting, you might want to consider sponge balls :o)

To me pinky counts are not really the way to go (at least not for this purpose, a good pinky count is definitely a very nice too in card magic), some routines require repeated double lifts, so it will pay off to master a no-get-ready doublelift.

Kaj :o)
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
The best (and easiest) no get ready double lift I've come across is Ken Krenzels "Natural double lift" from Card Classics of Ken Krenzel.

Euan
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Something I've become very fond of is a double lift where you actually push off the two top cards as one, as in standard dealing. It does require a "get-ready", but the lift and turnover looks very natural. This is now the method I use primarily.

I learned it from the first chapter of Expert Card Technique. Besides the method I mentioned above, there is some very good advice on this sleight and some interesting notes on hand positions to allow one to push off two cards as one with almost no conscious effort.

I would suggest you take a look at this if you haven't already.

Hope I helped!

Emily B.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I am more of a coin guy...so I cheat!

I use a "thick" card to do double and triple lifts. It is possible to do very convincing lifts with no get ready.

Check out "Thick Schtick" by Steve Bedwell for more info on the gimmick and for some nice ideas using the principle.

Best of luck!
Tony Chapparo
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Brad Burt has a method on one of his tapes. I believe it is covered in his "Private Lesson" vids. You do a get ready, hold a pinky break and then you grab the top right hand corner of the card ( really the top two ) and pivot them on the fleshy part of your thumb ( the base of the thumb ) and kind or spin the cards in order to turn them over. It has never failed me. I also turn over the top single card in this fashion to stay consistant. Hope this helps. You can check out Brad's video series at magicshop.com . I am in no way indorsed or receive any "special" rewards for recommending his website or his videos. Nor do I work for him. - Lee.
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Dave Shepherd
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
116 Posts

Profile of Dave Shepherd
I'm very partial to Dr. Daley's strike double, as taught in Stars of Magic. After you've practiced it a bit, it is a very reliable "no-get-ready" double turnover.
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Quote:
On 2003-02-02 20:24, leefoley3 wrote:
Brad Burt has a method on one of his tapes. I believe it is covered in his "Private Lesson" vids. You do a get ready, hold a pinky break and then you grab the top right hand corner of the card ( really the top two ) and pivot them on the fleshy part of your thumb ( the base of the thumb ) and kind or spin the cards in order to turn them over. It has never failed me. I also turn over the top single card in this fashion to stay consistant. Hope this helps. You can check out Brad's video series at magicshop.com . I am in no way indorsed or receive any "special" rewards for recommending his website or his videos. Nor do I work for him. - Lee.

Well, should the thumb br under the cards, over or on the side, and which side? Smile
Jonatan Bank
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
With reference to the tip from Brad Burt, the thumb is on the side of the deck and running straight. The deck is held in a deep dealers grip so that the bottom left corner of the deck is jutting in to the base,fleshy part of the thumb. Then use it as a fulcrum to pivot over the cards.
La magie, c'est ma vie
Sjiwi
View Profile
New user
Belgium
57 Posts

Profile of Sjiwi
Does anybody else do this (I have no idea what DL this is, or where I got it from, so if anybody knows, let me know please Smile): take the lower right corner (deck is in dealer's grip with left thumb resting on upper left corner), and pivot the cards on top of your left thumb (while raising your tumb a bit). you can then take the (face up) cards between left thumb and left middle finger. Then take them with your right hand to turn them over.
Hope that made sense...

cheers,
Sjiwi
happytrickster
View Profile
New user
UK
47 Posts

Profile of happytrickster
Sjiwi, i think there's an idea similar to this in Harry Lorayne's Deck-Sterity. (If i've got my references right?). The difference, however, is that in that version the deck is held with the face towards the audience and a DL is executed by pivoting (clockwise) around the left first finger held at the front.

HT
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I do a variation of Derrek Dingle's double-lift which seems to be a lot like Martin Nash's knockout double.

If anyone has a clip of the knockout double, please let me know. I've never seen it but apparently it's what I'm doing.

It is very decpetive, no get-ready.

It's basically a push-off stud-type-double with a snap at the end off the thumb base.

I've been playing with it for several months now and I've pretty much switched to that double-lift only.

I may do a plain-old get-ready double once in a while depending on the effect but I really like this one.

And no, I don't worry about using the knockout double 93% of the time and a different one 7% of the time. If I were entering into a competition, I'd make sure they were all the same but a non-magishing audience is not going to notice that descrepency.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I use several types of DLs but I sometimes use one that Dai Vernon described in one of his card books (Inner Secrets or one of those). It involves picking off the cards successively from the upper RH corner of the deck with the forefinger and or middle finger. It requires no get ready and not really that hard to do.

Addendum: I checked the Dai Vernon books I have and can't seem to locate the source of this DL.
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
In response to my earlier comment in regards to Brad's DL. The deck is held in a standard mechanics grip. Do the get ready, then you place your thumb along the bottom edge of the cards (where you have your break) at the right bottom corner. You then use your middle finger to grab the top right corner. You spin the cards,pushing them into the base of your thumb. Your index finger will be placed approx. on top of your thumb. You then "snap" them as if they were one card. I'm not sure if this clears up anything for you, but hey, I tried!! Good luck. Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
CloseUpMagicKid
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
105 Posts

Profile of CloseUpMagicKid
I don't know if this has been mentioned but Daryl's Ambitious Card book has some great DOUBLE LIFTS and Double card handlings.
"Careful! The beverage you are about to enjoy is extremely hot!" -Starbucks Coffee

GlennMagasDotCom
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
If you have a chance to do this, it makes for virtually flawless DL's. Put a 45º bend on the very back corner of the top two cards, as one. When you go for a DL, simply slide your hand back to that corner and lift. They come up together. You can also utilize this by having the spect. cut the deck. Use the bent corner to find it again. Hope this helps. Smile
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Tips on DL please (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL