The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Vanishing Silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gelbepfeife
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of gelbepfeife
Hi guys I just wanted to ask, what silk I could use when I haven't bought a thum-tip silk? toilette paper does not work because it rips or tears.

mfg Gelbepfeife
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
You may want to look in the silks section. Diamond silks are good as they look bigger than they are. See the link for more info.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......4&12
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
A thumb-tip rainbow streamer silk is also good because it looks like there is a lot more there than there really is. But, if you don't want to buy a diamond silk or streamer silk, you would probably be better off going with string, paper money, and that kind of thing. You might also try cutting strips of tissue paper (like you use for wrapping gifts)about an inch wide and accordion pleating them. Durability will be the main problem with tissue paper.
tubeway
View Profile
New user
Harlow UK
21 Posts

Profile of tubeway
I suppose kitchen roll or newspaper would be stronger. I have used a J-Cloth but it is harder to manage (the slipperyness of silks are part of what makes them good to use). I am wondering why you do not want to use silks, they are cheap and easy to obtain. You could cut thin pieces of materiel - something like cotton from an old shirt - but silks would still be better
Come on you Gills
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Get a nine inch silk to start with.
renzheng
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of renzheng
You just need a nice silk, or use thumb-tip to vanish water
obuch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of obuch
Ok but what size of silk will get into normal size vernet thumb tip?
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
I use 18" or 24" Diamond silks. Vernet thumb-tip "King".
So you need to go for 12" or 18" for normal TT but depends of your real thumb. If you have "fat" thumb go for 12" Diamond one first.

Diamond ones has the appearance of big silks and therefore more impossible to disappear in bare hands.

Hope it helps,
Cheers
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I agree with Elcio's statement. Just don't let Pete Biro see your post. He hates diamond silks if I remember correctly.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Not as easily reset, but if you use a hank pull you can use a really large silk, which can be really impressive.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I agree with Marty! I think that the TT ought be left for other tricks/routines and not be used for the ragged red rag of doom. A silk pull is every bit as easy to operate and you can use 18 or 24 inch square hanks.

Unless you are doing a Chris Capehart repeat, over and over again, silk vanish, then try a pull.

In fact, learn a couple of routines that don't use a silk but use, say, sugar from a sugar packet, and you'll have a couple of killer impromptu looking routines.

Don't forget those routines that use the TT for other than vanishing something (putting something insice.

The diamond cut silk looks Ok if kept in motion.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
You can go with a 6 or 9 in silk for the TT. I would also suggest looking into the hank pull.

I don't know where you're located, but Chris Capehart is a good resource for tips on TT silk vanish. I've literally seen him get about 5 min out of that alone on the street.

Silly Billy by David Kaye is also a good resource. He discusses using it for different age groups, children of course, but good tips nonetheless.

You should also, as others have advised, think of other uses for the TT. I've found that Losander's Salt Game DVD is a valuable learning tool. Even if you never perform the Salt Game, the sleights and tips you'll learn can easily be adapted to other routines, like vanishing a silk lol!

Lastly, although I am not able to comment on it, after seeing Losander's DVD, I'm going to take his advice and look for things from his mentor, Salvano. I don't know if I spelled that right, but he highly praised him and credited him with the ideas and subtleties he uses for his effect (salt game).
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Fanwun, you will love to see Salvano Smile Great tips, ideas and subtleties indeed.

Cheers
David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
If you are in a pinch and don't have access to silks try 3/4" or 1" wide (I think it is called basting tape but I may be wrong) from the cloth department of your local Wal-mart. This is much like a thumb tip streamer and can be found in dozens of colors. You can easily fit a 24" long piece or more in a standard TT. This material is used to hem cloths.

David Tower
David Tower
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Nice idea Harry!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You don't need any gimmick. Have a tiny knot in one corner. Roll it between hands, palm off and get the whoofle dust. Ditching the handkerchief. I hate calling 'em "silks".

OR read Tarbell course. Use a pull, or learn the lamp chimney vanish (Benson did it with a Zombie glass).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2008-02-06 19:48, Pete Biro wrote:
"I hate calling 'em "silks".

Pete,

Yep! The other day I was scraping the "Vote for Goldwater" stickers off my Edsel and thinking that we are simply going to have to get modern. Now I can say "silk" when I mean "hank". But I still have to think of Diamond Cut Silks as "gimmicks" instead of "silks". (I do like using these "silk gimmicks" but I think I do need to join a 12-Step Group for support. Have any leads? AARP needs an old magician division.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Vanishing Silk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL