The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid's Show Items - Thoughts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Don't worry about the tricks ... concern yourself with the routines.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2007-07-03 02:46, Vinnie Laraway wrote:
Also, Dan, I've said it once, and I'll say it again - I KNOW that presentation is EVERYTHING. I know that.

Then why are you asking? No need to yell.

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Louis LaLaurie
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
79 Posts

Profile of Louis LaLaurie
After reading this thread through for me...I think Vinnie is young, inexperienced...this is "ok" as Americans say? Why? Because we all start on map at beginning...I envy him! He gets to have blank canvas to spread his paint on, what a good time he have!
At same time, Mr. Vinnie, I think you should watch classics first, make sure you do web search before you buy...use search here? Seems good resource.
Mr. Danny, what busker Café? Vinnie could learn here too?
I learn LOT on street...you not mess up twice and get the money. First time only.
Louis
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Thanks to everyone and thanks to you too, Louis!

I'm just trying to get as much help as I can by the ones who are more experienced, and potentially might have the products I am interested in to give me a thumbs up or down.

And Chris, from what I hear, that's the best Birthday in the world. Smile

I have pretty much narrowed down my search to this:
(Yes=I'm going to get it)
(No=I'm not going to get it)
(Maybe=Unsure)

Nielsen Vanishing Ketchup Bottle - Yes
The Lemon Game - YES
New and Improved Vanishing Bandana - Yes
Mis-made Flag - Yes
Sorcerer's Assistant - No
Dots Next - Maybe
Comedy Jumbo Split Deck - No
Private Eye Python - Maybe
Dream Bag - No
Dube Top Hat - Yes
Rabbid - Yes
Forgettful Frankie - Yes
Got It Covered - No
Pro Professor Cheers Comedy Rope Routine - No (I don't wear a jacket)
Run, Rabbit, Run - Maybe (My audiences are appx. 6-10)
The Magic Tie - Maybe (Don't know too much about it)
House Mouse - Maybe
Silk To Egg - Yes
Inexhaustable Sponge - Yes
Beach Bucket Lota - No
Bigger Wands - YES

Thanks everyone for your help! Further help is still appreciated! Smile
-Vinnie
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Yes, Vinne, July 22nd is the absolute BEST Birthday in the world!:)

Here's some other effects I've had a great time with:
Ridiculous Ravioli
Chinese Egg Bag (Abbott's)
Vanishing/Reappearing Necklace (Go to Steven's Magic, they carry the best one)
Mismade flag with a twist: new take, also at Stevens? Last I checked...

If you get that Dube top hat, spend an extra $19 and get the hat juggling DVD, you'll know what im' talking about when you see it!
Look into ways to load that hat, too! You could be producing some props out of there.
Best of Luck to You, Vinnie! Go Kill 'Em!
Chris
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Cool Chris, thanks, I'll pick that up. =]

Well, actually, the Hat I'm getting is not a Dube, but is one that has the same look, feel, material, and similar weight. A friend of mine here at the Café is going to send it to me. But I'm really looking forward to working with it! =]

-Vinnie
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Vinnie,
Go to the Dube site and get the "hat juggling" dvd and work on some simple moves...little things like these in your show between trick, or as part of a build-up in a routine, do wonders.
Also, I would NOT do "Run Rabbit Run" or other "look don't see" or "sucker" effects unless you play it as being fooled yourself while the audience is smarter than you....and it has to be a really silly routine that asks 6-10 year olds to "have fun with you". Otherwise they'll view it as a flop. Play it up right from the start and it CAN be a winner. If not presented properly, they'll take it as insulting their intelligence.
9 and 10 year old will want to see some "wow" magic, so make sure that's sprinkled throughout....
As I said, go kill 'em!
Chris
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Heh, thanks again Chris! Your a great help!

Just one other thing concerning the Hat Manipulation... I know you can do a lot more manip. with a Derby, but is there a lot of hat manip. stuff on that DVD for Top Hats? Can the moves be applied to both types of hats?

Thanks!
-Vinnie
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Many of the moves immediately, most yes..over time and practive.
There is a book Dube puts out that specifically does moves with top hats...it's a book, so it's going to take some more study, but there is this direct resource for top hat juggling...yes. Contact Dube and he'll get the book shipped to you, I think it's only $10.00? I have both the DVD and the book, both work together very well....
Another resource here is Al Angello, who's a world-class juggler and knows lots more than I do about this...be sure to email him as well.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Chris, the one who is getting me the hat is infact Al. Smile

But just so I can clarify, is there also info on the DVD concerning Top Hats? Like, does he do the moves and teach them to you WITH a top hat?

Thanks, and I'll look into the book aswell...
-Vinnie
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
On a few more:

Run, Rabbit, Run - Maybe (My audiences are appx. 6-10) - I'd go for a different variation (Run Dino Run, etc. - these are for sale used from time to time - the rabbit one's getting a little cliche)

The Magic Tie - Maybe (Don't know too much about it) - I had this and sold it; it was unimpressive

House Mouse - Maybe - what about the moustrap card revelation (Magic Bakery) as a conclusion and to "dress up" the routine?

Inexhaustable Sponge - Yes - this one was also unimpressive - I sold

I like the Python lots, and would also argue for a good dove pan (bake Goshman sponge cake - it's a little cliche, but kids love it) and also some sort of blendo or 20th Century silks (gotta throw a good silk trick in to color the show and if it's birthday themed, so much the better, although I use WonderImagery Tortoise and Hare and it goes over great - some of those can be purchased "gently" used). And don't forget some version of the coloring book for little ones (yes, tried, but also true - you can jazz up perhaps by using three in a coloring book monte, or by routining a lot of invisible painting, etc.). Also, for a good opener how about drooping flower (Terry Herbert/David Ginn treatments - great stuff).
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Ok Vinnie, I had time to look at the DVD this morning again...
It IS only with derbies! However, I recognized many of the moves to be similar to the Top Hat moves from the book, so as I said, you may want both the book and DVD. However, as you know, even though derbies and toppers are different, the moves can be adapted...and with either, it's going to take a LOT of practice. But that's the great part, the best tricks are the ones that take time to perfect.
I think Al is beyond great, and his generosity is legend. You'll do right by that hat!
I got a good laugh knowing he gave that to you! That's Al!
Chris
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Thanks for the continued help guys!

Mumblemore, I like how I can combine House Mouse w/ the mousetrap revelation. that's funny. =]

Thanks again Chris! I'll look into picking them up. =]
-Vinnie

Posted: Jul 30, 2007 9:54pm
Hey guys!! Just a quick update... I weeded a lot of stuff out by thinking about if I would and could really use it in my show, and looked at everything from the performing aspect as well as the audiences point of view and how much fun they would have experiencing the magic!

Here is what I have ordered so far and am waiting to arrive:
*The Lemon Game (Malloy Modern Magic)
*Bigger Wands (Creative Magic)
*Happy Hyena (Wolf's Magic)
*Regular Mismade Flag with a Twist Set (Lock Family Magic)
*Classic One Hand Repeat Change Bag (Lock Family Magic)
*Gary The Goofy Ghost (Mike Bent)
*Silk to Egg (Viking Magic)
*Nielsen Vanishing Full Ketchup Bottle (Bought it used)

What I still need to buy:
*Private Eye Python
*Rabbid
*Dots Next (What's Next)
*New & Improved Vanishing Bandanna
*Zipper Banana Gag
*Topsy-Popsy Wand

It's A LOT of money, but it is well worth it, I know.
-Vinnie
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Vinnie, I hope the "Lemon Game" serves you well. Personally, I would not use it for kids under 6 or 7. If it works well for the younger crowd, will you share your secret?

I have found "Fiber Optics" a great "slow down" trick - ie if the kids are getting too excited, it will slow them down, but still "wow" them. I recently started it, and it and have older kids (7+) asking about it all the time.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Vinnie,
You have 8 bits of magic listed first up there. You could easily have a show right here. The next step is to become committed to these tricks. Find every way possible to make these entertaining and funny. 8 tricks could easily turn into a killer show of 8 routines and magic they'll never forget, 45 minutes no problem...work on the "entertainment" part now.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Kacy, I hope so too. I have heard from a lot of people that it doesn't play too well for younger audiences, but that's no problem. I have a few ideas in my head that could make it more interesting for younger crowds as well as the older crowd! I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for the info on Fiber Optics! I have heard from A LOT of sources that this is a very strong and powerful routine, and may look into getting it. Thanks!

Chris, yeah, totally! that's what I'm looking for - a 45 minute show full of magic! And yes, my main focus is on the presentation and routineing of the show. Thanks! =]

:)
-Vinnie
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Vinnie,

You know, it is not the tricks, but the showmanship . . . *L* (just had to say it, just in case you didn't hear it the 1,000 other times! *L*)

Good luck!

BTW Fiber optics is a cheap way to wow them for a few minutes, packs flat, plays big, plays in "the round", works well for about 6 - adult - lots of room for personality.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Get the Chris Capehart's DVD set "Kiddin' Around" and you can see how creative you can get with what to put in a kid's show.

http://kozmomagic.com/
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
liljay510
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
101 Posts

Profile of liljay510
Also check out Paul Gertner doing a very simple Pom Pom Stick
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DKiS1f76OAc...it plays well for kids and fools the adults as well...which is a bonus.
No matter How much you know you can never stop learning.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Vinnie

When looking for a change bag for miss-made flag, I recommend that you avoid the ones with handles. I can not find a link to the one I use, but this one looks good.

http://www.lockfamilymagic.com/public/Vi......prID=580
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Kid's Show Items - Thoughts? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL