The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » "Thumb Sketch" gag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
734 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Does anyone know which dealer(s) in America - sell the "Thumb Sketch" gag?

(an audience member thinks you're sketching a portrait of them (while you're holding your thumb up at them)...and you reveal that you had drawn a picture of your own THUMB)

I know that I could make this up myself, but I would prefer to get a ready-made prop.

Any info. is appreciated.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of wally
Paul romhany does this on his clip of charlie chaplin. http://www.chaliechaplinmagic.com
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Domain is invalid.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Spelling on the link is probably incorrect, since his name was Charlie Chaplin, and not Chalie Chaplin.

Steve
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Not only are you not going to come up with your own gag, you can't even be bothered to have the props made yourself either!

You may as well pay someone else to perform the bit as well!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3498 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2007-07-05 19:29, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Not only are you not going to come up with your own gag, you can't even be bothered to have the props made yourself either!

You may as well pay someone else to perform the bit as well!

For the record, this was a marketed item ('still may be). I know because I had two and recently gave one to a friend.

Julie
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
http://www.chaplinmagic.com/show.html

Click on the more photos to see.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
734 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
"Not only are you not going to come up with your own gag, you can't even be bothered to have the props made yourself either!

You may as well pay someone else to perform the bit as well!"

>>>Nicholas:

What an arrogant response to a simple request for the availability of a commercially available dealer item (and it's a MC/Clown gag - not even a "real" magic trick).

I see nothing wrong with wanting to purchase a professionally-made prop (colored jumbo sketch of a thumb). I make many of my own props, but as a sketch-artist, I am not.

As to why can't I "come up with my own gag"...Have you ever performed a dealer item or a trick from a book? - if so, then you can ask yourself the same question.

Are all Café members with 4,000+ post so self-righteous?
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Unfortunately, that attitude runs accross all user levels here. There is a ton of great info, and some really great people who love to help each other...but there's just as many who love to tear others down. The number one reason I have not even considered joining a magic frat like IBM or SAM is because of the way I've watched Mags treat each other here in The Café. But don't let it run you off. The good folks on here are worth dealing with the bad.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2582 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Is this of any help?

:thumbsup:

Neal Smile
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Scott's right. There are more good and helpful people here than not.

Hang in there.

Mark.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2007-07-06 12:06, Moxahalla wrote:
"Not only are you not going to come up with your own gag, you can't even be bothered to have the props made yourself either!

You may as well pay someone else to perform the bit as well!"

>>>Nicholas:

What an arrogant response to a simple request for the availability of a commercially available dealer item (and it's a MC/Clown gag - not even a "real" magic trick).

I see nothing wrong with wanting to purchase a professionally-made prop (colored jumbo sketch of a thumb). I make many of my own props, but as a sketch-artist, I am not.

As to why can't I "come up with my own gag"...Have you ever performed a dealer item or a trick from a book? - if so, then you can ask yourself the same question.

Are all Café members with 4,000+ post so self-righteous?

Yep - all of us.

I am sorry if my post caused you pain.

It is just that I wish someone had told me to focus on building and creating an act when I was starting out rather then just buying props and gags. I guarantee that, no matter how frustrating it is to hear, learning to create your own comedy is far more helpful then buying other peoples.

Spend your money on a good book on comedy writing or going to see some great stand up for inspiration (not copying) and you won't need to worry about buying gags.
If you look back at my first posts on the Café, only a few years ago, you will me asking for ideas for gags and stock lines. You will also see people telling me to create my own comedy and then me arguing with them. I wish I'd listened.

Buy a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

(of course...the REAL money is in fish selling)

This is a creative artform.....go and CREATE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » "Thumb Sketch" gag (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL