The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Nausiating Exposure (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
http://one.revver.com/watch/308035

I love the internet, but this makes me ill. Yes, I know there's nothing we can do about it and it is only one example of so many, but I thought I'd share it with you in case you didn't know it had gotten this bad. (I didn't). Some kid I met at a show sent me this link to show me where he learned his stuff. Consider me horrified.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
This will always happen - sadly . . . .

and yes - I feel for you
Cards never lie
Guardian452
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
235 Posts

Profile of Guardian452
Lol

that's sooo bad

he cant call himself a magician if he performs with those mechanics
Been a busker since I was 14 from San Diego; Don Driver was my mentor along with many others like Jimmy Talksalot, Sleeveless (Stephen Sloan), Bob Elliott.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
Thanks for posting this I have always wanted to learn all of ellusionists top selling effects now I can get them all in one place for free, this place is awesome. Hey can you find a site that exposes Copperfields illusions that would be great.
P3
practice practice perform.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Ted,
You read my mind. Thanks for beating me to the punch. Smile

Don't you folks realize that when you post these links you are exposing just as much as the originator of the exposure post (sometimes even more so)?
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
You think that's bad?
that's nothing compared to some of the stuff on youtube.
However, there is a way to stop it.
He is exposing copywrited effects. I have already banned several members from youtube for exposing copywrited effects.
All you have to do is contact the owner of the material, and tell him/her that someone is infringing on their copyright, and they can make a copyright infringment notice to the website that is hosting the videos, to delete and possibly even ban the videos and user.
It's a lot to go through, but it's worth it with someone like this.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I just finished contacting ellusionist about the matter.
I don't know if it will do any good, but it was 2 minutes of my time, so its worth a try.
jonxodus
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
320 Posts

Profile of jonxodus
Well, with great success comes great exposure.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On 2007-07-24 22:57, Magiguy wrote:
Ted,
You read my mind. Thanks for beating me to the punch. Smile

Don't you folks realize that when you post these links you are exposing just as much as the originator of the exposure post (sometimes even more so)?

Absolutely not true when you have decent people like Cory attempting to and occasionally succeeding in having the videos removed. I don't really think the point is the exposure is so much to MAGICIANS (who stand to lose money on their creation if it was even there's to begin with) but to the lay audience (who will ruin it for magicians). It's a vicious circle.

In any event, I am ashamed at myself for laughing so hard at that kid and not doing anything about it (but anybody that actually LEARNED something from this kid is doomed anyway). Please, just don't steal his brilliant patter...you have to laugh at "I just learned this trick today that's why I can't do it," yet continues to post the video of him dropping the coin about 5 times.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Thanks for the kind words Jack!

I got a kick out of that too. It doesn't take a genious to expose an effect. But he couldn't even do that right... (When you suck at magic, I guess you turn to exposing it)
But, you have to admit he can do a wicked DL. (cough)

Hopefully ellusionist can do something about this. I'm not sure if they can because HE was the one who made the videos. But he IS also exposing effects that people usually have to pay for, so I'm hoping they will do something.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
The only problem with posting the link on an open forum like this is that we have lurkers and some members who would gladly watch the video to learn the trick(s). I would personally give the link to other like-minded individuals as Cory in a PM.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 11:01, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
The only problem with posting the link on an open forum like this is that we have lurkers and some members who would gladly watch the video to learn the trick(s). I would personally give the link to other like-minded individuals as Cory in a PM.

Very good point, or open a new password or post count protected area to discuss these issues (and make fun of the people posting the videos, I came across others that were even WORSE if you can believe it. I wasn't sure to laugh or cry)

Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Perhaps the Café should dedicate a forum to exposure.
Not to advocate it, but to stop it.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
You can comment on exposure without posting a link, besides fussing about it online only makes more exposure happen.
P3
practice practice perform.
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Dam*ed if we do, dam*ed if we don't.

BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
It's not against the law to expose an effect with your own bad performance or tutorial.

Copyright only extends to the physical representation of that effect as manifest in words, pictures or DVD's. To post that material in that form is illegal. The idea/secret of the effect is not protected by copyright or otherwise.

Hence there is no such offence as "exposing copywritten effects" with your own performance. It is pure fantasy. If they are posting the exact DVD, that's a different matter.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Yes, this is what I was worried about.
Why do people do this???
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I didn't even know what he was talking about. Seemed like a lot of nonsense that no one would get anything from.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 15:45, fingerjack wrote:
Dam*ed if we do, dam*ed if we don't.

Knowing that this is happening... if you publish you are contributing to the problem. If you are soliciting sales for magic in a public market, what can you expect but to have that material posted online somewhere?

And if you are buying items in a public market you are contributing to the problem from the other side. If the "trick monkey" on your back is jonesing for the latest item you may have another problem that can be treated.

If you want a secret... go to the inventor or their delegate.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Nausiating Exposure (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL