The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » You Blue It! Ed Ellis Magic Vol. 2 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: You Blue It! Ed Ellis Magic Vol. 2
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

I strike out again on my quest to learn from magicians I’ve not heard of. In this case the magician is Ed Ellis, who seems to be out of Los Angeles and also Las Vegas. This DVD consist of one routine, You Blue It, and also has some commentary on how to land a gig working a restaurant. Let me get the commentary out of the way first, Ed knows. The information is very good and goes over picking a restaurant, how to break the ice and get the job, his opinion on tipping, performing a ‘free hour’, and other information. He obviously has been, or is, a restaurant worker and I’m sure his lectures must be very good since this was a piece of it. Let’s get things rolling.

The production level is very high. The picture clear and the camera work is very good. They changed angles to give you the best perspective, note Ed is a lefty so we right handed types have to convert for our use. The sound is great as well, no problems at all. The editing shows a bit of jump during performance. I think the idea was to have it so no one noticed the editing but there is just a tad jump that most wouldn’t notice but I had to find something to complain about concerning production. The menu didn’t break down into chapters for you to leap around except for the major ones such as the key routine, the mini lecture, and the bonus material (a new ending for previously released DVD, vol 1). In each section, though, you can jump from segment to segment by hitting the next chapter button. I’m glad to see some people still care about putting out a quality product.

Ed is a nice seeming fellow and he does a good job showing and explaining the routine. He is a bit hyper but that is okay. His card handling is exceptional and some of his moves look like real magic would look like if we could do it. The routine is as follows. A card is selected and signed in blue ink, hence the name. The back of the card changes from red to blue then the signature is removed from the card at it returns to red backed. You then, in a shockingly visible manner, put the signature back on the card and finally change the card back to blue backed and it is given to the customer to remind them of that special night. It is an excellent routine, the visuals are as good as they get, and you leave the spec with a card. If you do table work or a close up show you may really want to consider looking into this routine. The instructions are clear and with some practice you’ll learn the routine, it isn’t as difficult as you would think. A real winner.

It should be noted that while watching the main instruction there is a statement that refers you to the extras section for instruction on the move ‘Materialize’, the most amazing change I’ve ever seen, just stunning. Being unfamiliar to menus and all that I floundered around but the instruction is where they say it is and do make sure to look at it and practice is, you won’t be sorry. Do know that Vol 1 has a routine called Materialized and if the routine You Blue It is an example of what Ed Ellis puts out I’m going to be tracking that DVD down as well.

Of all the single routine DVD’s, and actually out of a number of multiple routine DVD’s, this routine, You Blue It, is the best I’ve seen. Top rate production, top rate performance, top rate instruction…if you want to add a working routine to your act, if you want to elevate your card magic, this is the ticket
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
MagicSanta again shows "he knows good material".

A friend has and showed me You Blue It by Ed Ellis. VERRRRY visual magic here. I like Ed Ellis's style. Just a warm, talented performer.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
898 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
OK. You convinced me and I bought Vol 1 on Ebay. I watched a YouTube video of Mr Ellis from "You blue it" and was totally blown away. Just thought I would start with vol 1 and go from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsEQZJEk2sc
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6968 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I'm confused about the volume thing. There's more than one dvd? I thought the routine was taught on vol. 2. So what's volume one?
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
898 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
Sorry about the confusion. Vol. 1 is a bunch of stuff ... but not "You Blue It" which is on the second dvd. But "Materialize" on the first one was so great looking that's its the one I got today. Just thought this thread was as much about Ed Ellis as the effect so I chimed in.

Have a safe and sane 4th
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've not seen Vol one. As stated Vol 2 is You Blue It, a card routine, and Ed discussing his thoughts on getting a restaurant gig. I would think rather than a set this is a series and I've no idea how many volumes are expected.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6968 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Thanks for the clarification, guys. I am seriously considering a purchase.
theAmazinbryan
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of theAmazinbryan
Hello guys !
Ed is my magic mentor an a good friend of mine I'm glad to see him get some positve response from his dvds!
For as long as I have known Ed's" Materilize "is the single piece of magic that I have seen in person that blows me away everytime!It is just stunning !!!
Ed's style of magic is Jazzy an visual,fluid!!
His next dvd is going to be called "you ring" that has some new takes on some rubberband stuff !!Dean Dill after not seeing Ed for 7 years the 1st thing out of his mouth was "hey show me that ring thing again"It is a very good piece of magic .
You blew it is cool as well !!Ed work on that for 2 years an what he came up with was very clever !!I love the control he uses with the fan !!!ootw!!
Bryan
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Bryan, what part of the world is Ed in? Is he a Vegas or LA guy? If he had not seen Dean in years I'm guessing he isn't in LA.
theAmazinbryan
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of theAmazinbryan
MagicSanta,
Ed is from ohio ,Canton ohio !He travels a lot doing lectures an shows ect,He has perform at ceasars palace an has magic friends in Vegas an L.A.
Ed is really kind of an unknown but I think when people see his stuff that may change things !!
His evolution in magic is also unique in one respect .He doesn't really look at other peoples work in the sense that he researches everything (like me ) he plays with cards an somthing clicks an he will just work it untill becomes somthing else .
I will let him know that thier is some buzz about his stuff
thanks
bryan
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ohio? Guess that explains how he escaped being known here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » You Blue It! Ed Ellis Magic Vol. 2 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL