The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Svengali Deck Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

illusionist987
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of illusionist987
Hello everyone. Was wondering what peoples favorite effect to do with a Svengali deck are? I'm trying to compile some of the best original effects using a Svengali deck. I can't say what for but any good street effects are a plus. PM me if you have any questions about what I'm talking about.
New School Magic
"Where YOU are the master of reality!"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The absolute best routine is The Long and Short Of It by Mark Lewis. It can be found at his site as well as most good magic shops, excellent routine.
artofillusion77
View Profile
New user
new york,new york
53 Posts

Profile of artofillusion77
Svengali is a fun thing to play with can can get some good reactions..one of my favorites is flipping through the cars and showing there all differnt then "hypnotizing" them and showing them the cards are all the samee from the one they "chose" earlier that usually gets a good reaction
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Get a several people watching the effect to pick a card afer having shown the deck to be all different. Ask them all to name their card out loud on the count of three.

Use it to demonstrate how men have a one track mind. Have the card selected and then tell the spect to think of his card and show them as the same. Only let him see this and show everyone else they are diff.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
Chris Bruce
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Chris Bruce
I'm sure this has occurred to others but I have never seen anyone do it:

You could do card at any number - predict the duplicated card in advance, have the spectator name any number between 1-52, and arrive at the predicted card. I'll leave you to work out the details.

If you switched this deck in partway through a routine and did this effect there would be no explaination for the spectator.

cb
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
There's a small book on the market for £1.50.

101 tricks with a Svengali deck
illusionist987
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of illusionist987
Its a decent book. I own it and sell it for my company with every Svengali. Ive been given some great ideas so far. Thanks!

Bryan
New School Magic
"Where YOU are the master of reality!"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Don Driver's Svengali Pitch DVD is an excelent soruce for the Svengali.

http://www.dondriver.tk/index.htm
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Don's pitch is the best in my opinion for selling the deck.

Mark Lewis's "The Long and Short of It" is also a pitch though not presented as such in his work. This is also a very good pitch for selling decks but you should know more than he presents to pitch.

As he presents it, it is a magic routine. As a magic routine it is the best magic routine I know of with Svengali cards.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
I have adapted the Svengali for the old classic effect "Everybodys card" from Royal Road to Card Magic with a slightly different set-up which allows overhand shuffling.

Magically

Aus
MichelAsselin
View Profile
Veteran user
20th century, 3rd dimension
326 Posts

Profile of MichelAsselin
Quote:
On 2007-07-22 11:22, mota wrote:
Don's pitch is the best in my opinion for selling the deck.

Mark Lewis's "The Long and Short of It" is also a pitch though not presented as such in his work. This is also a very good pitch for selling decks but you should know more than he presents to pitch.

As he presents it, it is a magic routine. As a magic routine it is the best magic routine I know of with Svengali cards.

I have to agree. It is also as magical as you can get with a deck of cards. See the video on Mr Lewis' site. The nonchalance with which it is performed is so disarming...

Add a classic color change or two and people will believe that you are no less than a God. It is all EFFECT.
" , ? ; !!! "
- Marcel Marceau, Feb 30, 1945.
Joey911
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Joey911
What types of tricks are taught in the 101 tricks with a Svengali? Also, I need a new bicycle Svengali, where can I get a good priced one?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
While Dons is indeed a pitch Mark Lewis' Long and Short of It is not a pitch but a routine. Good routines are hidden around in different DVDs and books.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I'll offer this one tip about the Svengali deck... It is very well exposed, so be careful of if. I've always felt that one tell tale sign of a Svengali is the riffling to show the cards to be normal. I don't know about you, but I never riffle a normal deck of cards that way. By contast, you can dribble the cards with a slight upward tilt and get the same effect without having to same, " the cards are all normal." For one, it will throw people off who know the effect because they've never seen it presented this way. Additionally, the dribble (at least for me) is more natural way of handling cards.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2007-11-30 22:35, MagicSanta wrote:
While Dons is indeed a pitch Mark Lewis' Long and Short of It is not a pitch but a routine. Good routines are hidden around in different DVDs and books.

I use a pitch of Svengali decks based loosely on Marks long & short of it & its very effective-recommended!
Don Sautter
View Profile
New user
Arizona
58 Posts

Profile of Don Sautter
I also recommend trying out a mirage deck. It is the same as a Svengali deck with roughing fluid added. This allows you to fan the deck to show all the cards different - very powerful for someone who might be aware of a traditional Svengali deck.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On 2008-02-15 11:38, Don Sautter wrote:
I also recommend trying out a mirage deck. It is the same as a Svengali deck with roughing fluid added. This allows you to fan the deck to show all the cards different - very powerful for someone who might be aware of a traditional Svengali deck.

I always thought that was called a pop eyed popper deck. Maybe that's another name for it? Like... Stripper deck and Wizards deck?
Don Sautter
View Profile
New user
Arizona
58 Posts

Profile of Don Sautter
No - the Pop Eyed popper is different than the Mirage deck.

The Mirage provides a Svengali type gaff while also allowing you to fan the cards to show they are different, where the pop eyed popper does not have the Svengali gaff.
alondon
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of alondon
Just use a one way force deck -- no one will even come close to guessing and you never miss and handling is natural
alondon
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of alondon
A stripper deck is also more natural than the other gaffs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Svengali Deck Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL