The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Your" Cup Collection (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..19..24..29..34..39..40~41~42 [Next]
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Terry:
Are the final loads in the crystal cups detectable when in the cups? If not, that is truly ingenious. I wonder if ball bearings same size would be detectable? WOW...
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1072 Posts

Profile of BCS
Rick,
Yes those are bullet casings on a couple of the wands. I have a neighbor who is quite the outdoorsman who gave me the spent bullets. I used a pipe cutter to cut the casings right before they turn in to accept the projectile. The photo doesn’t show it well, but they shine up really nice with some work.
Take care,
Bruce
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1767 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Richard:

Bill is correct. They are PF/DD chrome plated chick cups. And he's right about the National Water cups also (did we expect anything less?)!

Here's the rundown:

Top shelf (L to R): PF/DD Chrome plated Chick cups, PF/DD Copper, PF/DD Chrome plated, PF/DD Brass, Magic Makers "Paul Faux" Brass, Miller Copper, National Water

Middle Shelf (L to R): Original RnT Monti Aluminum, Original RnT Monte Steel (Bells of St. Mary's), Morrissey Combo Aluminum (1971), Unknown maker Aluminim, Johnny Paul/Pete Biro Brass, Ravel Super Cups Aluminum that I painted white and made into a combo set

Bottom Shelf (L to R): Ken Brooke (?) Aluminum Chop, Original RnT Chop, Morrissey Aluminum Chop, Morrissey Aluminum Pocket-size Chop, Home made (found) Chop made by Danny Dew, Original PF/DD Copper Combo made by Danny Dew (I expect this is quite rare)

Levity:

Thanks for the kind words. I made the wands to fit in with my sets of copper cups. I have a thicker wand for my Miller cups, and it looks good because of the heftiness of those cups.

Robert:

The final loads are not detectable because of the cut glass cups. I've talked about this on some other threads that dealt with clear cups, but it was a result of an idea for a "dream trick" that Roy Fromer wrote about in his book, "The Cups." Another magician friend and I developed the idea around 1975-1976.

I will say this - not only can you produce a ball bearing, but you can produce a brightly colored ball when you lift the cup(s) off the table (just a different method at that point). That's an additonal kicker ending possibility.

I am playing around with some different cups right now and will try to post a photo in the future. It's a different look, but I'm not sure the load looks as good because of the shape of the new cups. And right now it seems that I'm limited in some ways in regard to load options. But I'm working on it every so often.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Terry,

That's good info re the wands for the Miller cups. I've got two sets of Millers coming my way--copper and chromium plated--and will heed your words re the wand relationship to those. Thanks.

G
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1454 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Nice cups Terry, thanks for sharing your collection.

Those cut glass cups are very nice, I would love to see you using them sometime. I would think that seeing the FL appear would be a wonderful thing.

Posted: Aug 15, 2008 6:57pm
Here are all of my cups:

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m365/......cups.jpg
"But there isn't a door"
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Great symmetry there, Tom. I'll post a pic of mine when the Tall Traditionals and Mini Jesters arrive from RNT II. This week I got the two Charlie Miller sets I bought at auction recently--the copper and the nickel chrome plated. They are fabulous. Great patina on the coppers, and I gave the chrome ones a wipe down, removed some dark marks from age, and they are as shiny as the day they were plated. Of course I didn't clean the copper ones--only a wipe with a dry cloth to get the dust off. Like I said, the patina on those ones is great.

Geoffrey
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
724 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I saw those up for auction... And you are very right.. they had a ritch dark patina that looked unreal.

Shawn
Shawn.
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Shawn, the patina's so rich you could almost eat it.

G
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I saw those when I was in Louisville. Both sets are particularly nice. I would have bid on them, except that I already have examples of both. Contrary to some opinions that were posted here about a year ago, I don't need every cup that was ever made -- just an example of them!

Those chrome plated ones are rare, because they were not officially issued.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1767 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Here are photos of 2 sets I didn't have in the previous photos:

PF/DD Silver Plated 2 Cup Set (never had the 3rd cup)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc154......BSet.jpg

Joe Kerr Jr. Plastic Set with Pom-Pon Balls

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc154......Cups.jpg

I should also mention that the White Ravel Aluminum Cups in the previous photo consists of 4 stacked cups in case any of you "eagle-eyes" were wondering about that. I bought 2 sets to make a gimmick. I tossed out the gimmick a number of years ago and was left with one extra cup.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Nice cups. I only have a set of regular brass cups with knit covered red cork balls. I also still have my first set of the 3 colored chinese cups with the pom balls. No need for pics though, I am sure everyone has seen these sets before:)
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Quote:
On 2008-08-17 14:33, Bill Palmer wrote:
I saw those when I was in Louisville. Both sets are particularly nice. I would have bid on them, except that I already have examples of both. Contrary to some opinions that were posted here about a year ago, I don't need every cup that was ever made -- just an example of them!

Those chrome plated ones are rare, because they were not officially issued.

They're very nice, Bill...I'm getting great delight using the copper ones...something about the feeling and the knowledge that they've "done good service" before they came to me adds a little something special to being able to use them. And the chrome plated ones are simply dazzling...classy and classic.

G
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My first set of Charlie Miller cups belonged to a dear friend of mine -- a fellow with whom I attended school from the age of 9. His name was Henry Slaughter. He was not much of a magician, but he did the color changing knives well. When he figured out that the cups and balls were a bit more than he wanted to fool with, he gave me his set.

By the time I got them they had a great patina from handling and from pipe tobacco smoke.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
That is a great collection of cups, Rannie.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
What a terrific thread. I have really enjoyed the photos and all this talk of cups...

Wonderful interview Bill! You are every bit the gentleman, historian, and character that I had imagined you to be.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks very much.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Grrr! I could not post these as embedded images. No idea why not, as I used the proper code. I'm assuming it's on The Magic Café's end.

ANYHOW.... Here is a link to photos of my collection, for those who may care:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v213/reverendgaddy/cups/
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
That's a great collection, gaddy.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Thank you! Unfortunately I put it in front of my bookcase hoping more of my books would show than actually did.

But I think y'all get the point. I'm very happy to share!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Your" Cup Collection (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13..19..24..29..34..39..40~41~42 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL