The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Your" Cup Collection (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..13..19..25..31..37..40~41~42 [Next]
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
I hope this works......

Click here to view attached image.
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Wow Jake did a great job on those. I've never been a big fan of the fake antiquing look, but I certainly can appreciate a job well done.

-Todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Wow! That is another great collection from RnT2, Richard.
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
Yeah!!! It did..... Richard, I love your RNT2 cups..... They make up the majority of my collection... I pretty much have only RNT2 and Sherwoods with the exception of a couple of Risers, one RNT, one Porper, a bunch of shells and various one off cups and dice cups... Then I have a ton of Frank's leather and dice cups and bags.....Perhaps this adoption idea Frank has could work in my favor. Frank, I did get the notice (thanks).....

James

Quote:
On 2007-07-24 15:21, lint wrote:
Wow Jake did a great job on those. I've never been a big fan of the fake antiquing look, but I certainly can appreciate a job well done.

-Todd

Jake knows me pretty well by now...whenever he makes something new that I like, one of the first things I ask is whether he can make it in AB bronze.... It is even more attractive in person....
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
James - they're great-looking cups. I love the black powder finish on the insides too. It's interesting that there are eight standard Sherwood sets, but several custom sets out there too.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Is that over brass or copper????
I just sent some brass cups to be antiqued cause I loved the look so much.
Mobius
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
Quote:
On 2007-07-24 21:22, Mobius303 wrote:
Is that over brass or copper????
I just sent some brass cups to be antiqued cause I loved the look so much.
Mobius

I thought it was over copper, but I will need Jake to chime in here to make sure you have accurate info....
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Dangit! Mobius! James wasn't suppose to know about your brass set being done! He loves the bronze/copper finish so much that if he gets a look at the brass ones he's going to want those too.

There are quite a few steps in the process, first the cups are cyanide struck with copper, then again in a bronzing tank, then they are taken out and buffed down to a smooth finish before the bronze has time to cure, after this they are prepped for powder coating, the powder coat is a 4 layer process, the cups are then prepped for clear coating, 1 coat of clearcoat per 24 hours is applied each day for 3 weeks, giving a total of 15 coats of clear applied. This really looks great on Brass.

Now James probally shouldn't read this part, so just ignore this James, I'm currently doing 6 sets of the Foxy I's and II's in Antique, if you want on the list for a set please PM. Okay safe to read from here on James.Smile

If you send your cups in to us, like Mobius and others have the turn around time is about 5-7 weeks at this point.

Thanks All,
Jake
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
Jake-
I am going to start looking for other things around the house that I can send you to AB for me.... My wife will be thrilled to hear this...... I thought I was limited to copper... Smile I still wish you could do my ninja rings in an AB finish.... That would just be too cool.....I would feel more like a ninja.

I am PM-ing you about the Foxy1s and 2s........ Smile

Mobius, please post or send pictures when your brass set is done....

James
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 00:12, James Kernen wrote:
Jake-
I am going to start looking for other things around the house that I can send you to AB for me.... My wife will be thrilled to hear this...... I thought I was limited to copper... Smile I still wish you could do my ninja rings in an AB finish.... That would just be too cool.....I would feel more like a ninja.

I am PM-ing you about the Foxy1s and 2s........ Smile

Mobius, please post or send pictures when your brass set is done....

James

No James, I can not antique bronze the family pet, sorry. Smile
James Kernen
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona
160 Posts

Profile of James Kernen
No James, I can not antique bronze the family pet, sorry. Smile
[/quote]

Not even if I dip her in copper (or brass) first..... It is just my cat.... Smile

James
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Jake, can you nickel chrome brass cups, or is copper the preferred base?
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 11:44, Richard Evans wrote:
Jake, can you nickel chrome brass cups, or is copper the preferred base?

Richard,
copper is always preferred but even your copper cups were cyanide copper struck before the nickel process. The copper strike is done with virgin copper to assure the nickel will not seperate from the copper.

Brass, aluminum, stainless, pot metal, iron can all be nickel chromed, it's just a matter of prepping the item prior to the nickel bath.

Jake
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
That's good. I'll get in touch in the next couple of days - I have an extra set of Pete Biro's Johnny Paul cups - they'd look great chromed. Just need to find them - they're here somewhere.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Richard!!!

Johnny Paul cups are the most creative, beautiful and therefore sacred of ALL cups in my own (humble) opinion. How could you possibly tamper with them?!?!?!?!?

I shall mathematically PROVE to you that these ARE the finest of all cups:

Step 1: Agree with me that NO cups are Perfect

Step 2: Agree with me that Johnny Paul cups are more Perfect than No cups.

Step 3: It should be immediately obvious to the casual observer that Johnny Paul cups are nicer than the average set of cups. So, it can be agreed that the nth set of cups is less perfect than a Johnny Paul set. Hence we shall assign the Johnny Paul cups as the n+1 rank in cup perfection.

In conclusion, by mathematical induction: Johnny Paul cups are as close to perfections as a set may come. QED

I just received a set of these last night as a most benevolent gift from a dear friend. After much thought, I have decided to rename them because there ability to create a magical effect borders on a religious experience. Henceforth, I shall refer to them as:

The "3 Wise Man" Cups: Johnny, Johnny & Johnny.

They are my show ponies. My most sacred possessions.

Love the bronze Richard. Love the bronze...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Smile

Seriously, the best cups are the ones that fit your routine and your hands the best.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 15:35, Chad wrote:
Richard!!!

Johnny Paul cups are the most creative, beautiful and therefore sacred of ALL cups in my own (humble) opinion. How could you possibly tamper with them?!?!?!?!?

I shall mathematically PROVE to you that these ARE the finest of all cups:

Step 1: Agree with me that NO cups are Perfect

Step 2: Agree with me that Johnny Paul cups are more Perfect than No cups.

Step 3: It should be immediately obvious to the casual observer that Johnny Paul cups are nicer than the average set of cups. So, it can be agreed that the nth set of cups is less perfect than a Johnny Paul set. Hence we shall assign the Johnny Paul cups as the n+1 rank in cup perfection.

In conclusion, by mathematical induction: Johnny Paul cups are as close to perfections as a set may come. QED

I just received a set of these last night as a most benevolent gift from a dear friend. After much thought, I have decided to rename them because there ability to create a magical effect borders on a religious experience. Henceforth, I shall refer to them as:

The "3 Wise Man" Cups: Johnny, Johnny & Johnny.

They are my show ponies. My most sacred possessions.

Love the bronze Richard. Love the bronze...

:lol:

I do love the bronze - it's just I like chrome as well.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Brozne finishing is very nice if you want low maitenance cups, meaning a soft cloth will remove finger prints that won't really even be seen because of the finish. Chrome, is the complete opposite, but again still easier to maintain than say uncoated copper brass etc.

Can't so much agree with the mathmatical equation, the JP cups are great for the JP routine but for overall performance of the C&B routines available, the Sherwood cups score 10 out of 10, they feel right, well balanced, look like no other cup. For larger load cups, the Porpers are my favorite. For the longest time I've always used Paul Fox or Montis, but Sherwoods are my weapon of choice.
For street or large crowds is the Paul Fox Chick cups or my Brass Galli Galli cups by Pete.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I would certainly tip my hat to your wisdom Jake!
JESmagic
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor, MI
90 Posts

Profile of JESmagic
I'll tip my hat to Jake as well...but I'll differ in opinion, just slightly Smile I think that the JES Squatty 2 cups score the 10 out of 10. Between the RNT JES Squatty 1 and the Squatty 2 cups, I think I've found the perfect cup--for me. But, of course, I'm COMPLETELY biased...and Jake's craftmanship on EVERYTHING is the finest.

Bill is right, however, the best cup is the one that fits your hand--and that you like. Different shapes appeal to different people.....alas so many unique styles. Isn't life grand.
Jonathan Schweid, M.D.
President, JESmagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » "Your" Cup Collection (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..13..19..25..31..37..40~41~42 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL