The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Free work = stress + hassle!!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Ok...Paddy, Ya got Me... My oldest daughter was 10 when we had her wish trip... and yes I do give away few to this organization and to others that have touched my family deeply. But for 99% plus of the "charity requests" I do as I say above. Yes they get a break, and yes I feel wanted respected and valued.

Getting stuck on the treadmill of non paying exposure gigs is a quick route to the poor house....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Does anybody else think it's a shame that the people making these requests, almost all for genuinely worthy causes, JUST DON'T GET IT?

A charity works hard to build up its image, then shoots itself in the foot ... just a shame.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
It's a pretty sad commentary, but I can't remember a single freebie charity gig where I felt anything but used and disrespected.

My last such gig was on an holiday and my wife was assisting. IMMEDIATELY after the warm-up, the host interrupted the show for a speech by a visiting politician. Ten minutes felt like forever, just slightly less than the time required to slog through the rest of the show -- MINUS the momentum from the broken warm-up. We weren't even invited to eat afterwards...although the windbag politician sure got to chow down.

Count me in with the cynics on this issue. No pay, no play.

Leland
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Not just charities...

Back around 1970, when I was at the ripe old age of nineteen, I was the secretary of our local IBM Ring. One day a had a call from a large shopping mall that was planning a second-birthday promotion, and they wanted to call it "The Magic World of Values." Anyway, to make a long story short, the promotion director wanted to book a few magic acts, and his idea was that if he found some good amateurs, a) the exposure would help them on their way to becoming pros, and b) it wouldn't cost the center anything.

I had to do some quick thinking here (I was faster on my brain back then), but managed to convince him that a) "amateur" isn't necessarily a step to "professional," and that b) these acts would be representing his mall, and that therefore he would be better off getting the best pros in the area.

I ended up producing the shows and designing the stage (and making a nice chunk of change for a nineteen-year-old in 1970), and the center was thrilled with the results, but I've never forgotten that some people do think that way -- and that it's perfectly possible to turn them around as long as you hit them in the right place.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I even had a phone call from a short lived "wish type" TV show, hosted by a weight guru named Simmons where they wanted me to donate about $800 in products to one of the kids they were having on the show.

The producer was amazed that I didn't want to throw the doors of my shop open for their purposes... seems the producer did NOT take me up on the offer of him donating time, in my shop, for the exchange of my goods. He told me his time was much to valuable but I could always make more props!!!!!!!

That's why I only work for charities I choose, where I am the only event of the day. When you get wrapped up in their drama, you get lost and abused.

Just thinking about it, I need a hug from my three beautiful assistants and a stiff drink.

I usually tell callers, within 30 seconds of their pitch, that I'm part of a corporation and the shareholders don't want me doing free work. Little do they know that I am the shareholders with 100 percent of the shares... and it's all perfectly legal.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Hey all..

Definitely some intertesting stories in here, as well as some great advice. I just got home from my friends house, so that's the reason for no response. We were trying to get his 4 wheel race-ready Smile.

Anyways, thanks again everyone!!
Steve
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hey Steve,

I want to go back to the original post. Many of the responses have been about donations of shows for charity purposes, but my question for you is, what was your justification in giving a show to a camp where there were many wealthy families involved??? Not sure if the referrals of a "give-away" show are worth much in a situation such as this!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Well, I had already spoken to the guy in charge beforehand, and told him to tell people they paid me my regular price. Also, this would possibly book me more work too. Right now, it would be beneficial to do a "give-away" for me to book more events, atleast in my mind! Smile.

Thanks Blair!
Steve
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I would like to suggest that you find a legitimate charitable group, one that would not, or could not, use a paid performer. Get the date, have them create the event aound you (and this does not have to be a BIG event), (you) get your own press releases on the event out, get the local press/media there for a photo op, can you get a local paper, or t.v. outlet there, make the news??? USE the event, become a "celebrity". This is a fun way to get known, help to build your reputation, give you valuable references for your press kit/publicity material.

Can you get a "name" there to saw in half, float etc. WOW, this will help you sell yourself. Get your digital camera out, get lots of photos.

Best of luck,

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
One defining principle of my business is that no one tells me I should give something to them for free and I don't care who they are.

If it is an organization where I really believe in their cause, I hand them a check for the whole fee of my show AFTER the show and AFTER they hand me their check.

The results are that they treated me with the respect of a paid magician because they had no idea they were getting a free show until after it was over.

Charity needs to come from the heart, not out of someone manipulating you or making you feel guilty if you don't give to them.

Mike
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Mike.

That's a great idea! I might have to give that a try! Smile

Good advice...thank you.
Steve
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I've always asked what they are serving. I then ask if they are paying for the food, the hall, etc. They always are. I tell them to call back when everybody connected with their event is donating their services and goods, and I'll be happy to donate mine.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Quote:
On 2007-07-20 08:50, MikeRaffone wrote:
One defining principle of my business is that no one tells me I should give something to them for free and I don't care who they are.

If it is an organization where I really believe in their cause, I hand them a check for the whole fee of my show AFTER the show and AFTER they hand me their check.

The results are that they treated me with the respect of a paid magician because they had no idea they were getting a free show until after it was over.

Charity needs to come from the heart, not out of someone manipulating you or making you feel guilty if you don't give to them.

Mike

Mike, I totally agree with you. There are things you and I most definitely agree on! Very wise advise!
Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Free work = stress + hassle!!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL