The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Our local masked magician wants to join the I.B.M - how? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Fellows,

I need your advice....
I read on June 2007 Linking Ring, in New Applications and Reinstatments column, our local magician apply IBM membership, BUT he has very bad attitude by doing exposing magic on our local TV for about 5 episode. What we can do for this? Is there any way we can block his membership? We have his taped for proof.
please advice and we need all your suport.

Cheers,
CC.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
You might check with Steve Hart, IBM Membership Coordinator and a member of the Café, to get his thoughts.

Mark.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Are you referring to Valentino, The Masked Magician?

If he wants to join, I believe he has to be sponsored. If nobody sponsors him, he can't get in.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Thanks...
Michael Kras, it is not Valentino, he is our local Indonesien magician, he did exposing 5 episode in local TV.

Cheers,
CC.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Easy as pie!
The whole reason they put peoples names in the "New Applications" column is so people can look out for people they may not want in.

There is also rules against exposure and being a member of the IBM.
This is copied and pasted right from the IBM Membership Information page:

"I.B.M members agree to abide by the Constitution and By-Laws of the International Brotherhood of Magicians and promise to never violate any part of "THE CODE OF ETHICS"."

And here is the Code of Ethics:

On May 8, 1993, the IBM Board of Directors approved the following Code of Ethics jointly with the Society of American Magicians. This was the result of a cooperative effort to work together for the betterment of magic.

All members of the International Brotherhood of Magicians agree to:

1) Oppose the willful exposure to the public of any principles of the Art of Magic, or the methods employed in any magic effect or illusion.

2) Display ethical behavior in the presentation of magic to the public and in our conduct as magicians, including not interfering with or jeopardizing the performance of another magician either through personal intervention or the unauthorized use of another's creation.

3) Recognize and respect for rights of the creators, inventors, authors, and owners of magic concepts, presentations, effects and literature, and their rights to have exclusive use of, or to grant permission for the use by others of such creations.

4) Discourage false or misleading statements in the advertising of effects, and literature, merchandise or actions pertaining to the magical arts.

5) Discourage advertisement in magic publications for any magical apparatus, effect, literature or other materials for which the advertiser does not have commercial rights.

6) Promote the humane treatment and care of livestock used in magical performances.

So if any of these rules are broken, the person can be kicked out of the IBM.
All you have to do is e-mail Steve Hart. Tell him who it is, and the exposure and harm they have done to the magic community. I'm sure he will kick him out ASAP.

Thanks for your interest in keeping the IBM a clean organization. We do not need people like that.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Oh, and ssucahyo, (sorry, I do not know your name)
I realize you use the language translator for the Café. If you need an english translation for Steve Hart, just let us know.
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Cory, I really thanks for your support and help, I pmed you...

Cheers,
CC.
Mike Gorman
View Profile
New user
Cary, North Carolina
58 Posts

Profile of Mike Gorman
You can send an email to the IBM office (office@magician.org) or to the Ethics Committee (Rolando Santos rsantos@magician.org). You have one to two months after the application is printed to get your opinion in to them. Please state the facts and the ethics committee will contact you and the applicant to get the whole story before passing judgment and either rejecting their application or allowing membership.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Let He who has NEVER EXPOSED decide.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Ok, I decide he should be kicked out...
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-07-06 11:04, Cory Gallupe wrote:
Ok, I decide he should be kicked out...

Are you saying you Never exposed anything?
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Yes sir!
Well, at least never intentionally. Smile (Everyone makes mistakes...)
I have "taught" simple magic to inspiring magi, and have showed fellow magicians some routines.
But I don't see that as exposure. Exposure is "exposing" (not teaching) of an effect JUST to show how it's done. Exposing is showing or telling someone how something is done just for their own curiousity.
Exposing is delibritly showing the working of something to ruin the effect.

If teaching a simple trick to a young kid so he can show his parents is exposure, then I guess I'm guilty. Many times...
However I see that as teaching, not exposing.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks. Give my reguards to Mike Robinson of NS. Great magician!
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Justin, I think you may have meant to post in another topic. Unless if I'm missing something here, your above post is not relevant to this topic... Smile
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
My .02 Cents on the subject is this. If you are showing someone who wants to be a magician or just learn magic for fun; how to do a magical effect then its teaching (unless you just doing it to showoff). Intentional expose of an effect destroys the art and should be greatly discouraged. After all if I can keep a secret then so can everyone else.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-07-06 13:09, Cory Gallupe wrote:
Justin, I think you may have meant to post in another topic. Unless if I'm missing something here, your above post is not relevant to this topic... Smile

I don't know what you mean? Mike Robinson?
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Oh, you mean Mike Robinson of Nova Scotia?
I'm afraid I've never heard of him. (And I know a lot of the Haligonian magicians!)
I will ask the local club about him.
Sorry about that, I didn't know what you where talking about there for a minute.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
BTW Justin, very nice coin productions. I can tell that took a lot of hard work!
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
Fellows,

We are really thank you to Mr Cory Gallupe, he did very generous help and support us.

Cheers,
CC.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Thank you for bringing this to my attention....I will be passing this along to the powers that be.

As Cory stated above the I.B.M. does not allow public exposure from our members under the rules defined.

This will be addressed.

Steve Hart
I.B.M. Presidential Advisory Committee
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Our local masked magician wants to join the I.B.M - how? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL