The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » How Divine by Michael Kras (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4448 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Michael is a young creator in Magic. He really seems to enjoy either trying to come up with new ideas, or experiment with existing routines. In this effect, Michael has taken on Jay Sankey's 'Astral projection', by just using a normal borrowed deck, no gimmicked cards.

As I don't own Astral projection, I cannot comment too much on that effect, apart from the fact it uses gimmicked cards...and I don't like using gimmicked cards that much.

Michael sent me a small word document, 4 pages long to be exact. The first page explains the effect and the history. The next two pages are on preparation, and the final page is just a... 'Thanks for reading, visit...' etc.

There are pros and cons with this effect, as with every effect released. No effect is perfect.

The pros of this effect, is it can be done with a borrowed deck, very quick set up, and the set up can be done right in front of the spectator, no need to go into a back room or off to the toilets briefly.

The cons are...for me the routine would take too long. The effect as Michael writes it is 'After the deck is divided precisely in half, the spectator is asked to merely think of any card they see in one half. That half is given to the spectator to hold on to. The magician then invisibly grabs the thought of card from the spectator’s packet and places it in the centre of his own packet. He proves this by having the spectator count her cards. Upon counting her cards, the spectator discovers she now has only 25 cards! Looking through the packet, he discovers the only card missing is her thought-of card! When the magician counts the cards in his packet, he now has 27, and a single card has been added to the centre of his packet. Naturally, it is the merely thought-of card! The spectator never reveals the card to anyone!'

Now, for me, i, neither do I want my spectators, want to be sat or stood there, counting 25 and 27 cards! Just for one card!!! I do have several improvements to the effect already which I will share with Michael when I have time.

Michael has great enthusiasm for the art, and really tries hard to change things for himself, and although this is clever and he has taken the gaff away...it is just too long for me, and not a worker...for me. Some might not see it as a problem.

You don't get any help with presentations, or logics or reasonings, so you would have to come up with that yourself, and I don't know what Michael intends to do with this...but IF, and I mean IF, as I don't know what he plans to do, but IF he plans to sell it, it wouldn't be successful as a stand alone manuscript.

Don't get me wrong Michael, it is fair thinking, but not for a worker such as myself. If you want a thought of card across routine, there is soon to be a BIG project coming out soon from one of the larger Magic companies out there which is going to be quite exciting!

Good work Mike, keep it up!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Thank you for the thorough and fabulous review! Many people have suggested that I remove the counting of the cards, and I am still undecided of it, because even though it would make the routine shorter, it provides some of the impact of the effect.

I guess this would be meant more for theatre mentalism or parlour work, but this effect is not suitable for many walkaround situations.

Thanks again for the review!!! And by the way, I do not plan on selling this at large, let alone as a single effect. I may add it to my next manuscript, the focus of which will be on mentalism.

Michael Kras
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
I have also recieved this and have had the chance to play around with it and on the whole I agree with Christopher Williams.
I feel that there are effects in a similar style to this that are superior such as the one from 'Still fancy a pot of jam?' by James Brown.
If I'm honest then I'd say that this is not for me and that there are better alternatives, but I don't want to discourage the creator to keep on working on it and on effects in general.
So overall I'd like to say that this was a nice try, but ultimately one which has not been successful (for me anyway, others might feel differently), but I hope that you keep on trying and having fun.
My views have been brief but this is because Christopher Williams has pretty much covered everything.

Thanks.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I don't know Michael's version of the effect but I have read another gimmick-free Astral Projection effect that another young magician released a couple of years ago which was pretty good.

The thing is, this type of ungimmicked, thought of card across effect seems to have been around for a long, long time. Larry Jennings has an absolutely fantastic version in Richard's Almanac. Check it out, Michael. It's killer and it's impromtu, if I remember correctly. In fact I believe there are two impromptu versions of the effect in Richard's Alamanac.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
For those who are interested, the Jennings effect is called "The Purloined Thought" and is on pages 163-164 of Richard's Almanac.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Ghank you to eveyone! Once again, great review Christopher! If anyone wants this for free, I will be happy to send it as long as you add a good review here.
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Michael,

You've received my comments a few times on How Divine. As I told you, I think highly of your ability to create effects and your passion for magic is outstanding. However I've expressed my difficulties with this routine. As has been mentioned I believe the counting is unnecessary. There's simply no need to prove that there's one card less in their packet - if their card is missing, there has to be one card less. It proves itself by the nature of what took place.

I think the true dilema is that, as Christopher said, this is not a worker. It's a very good idea, but I honestly believe that this effect is best created with the gimmicked version. Still, keep working at it and perhaps it will morph itself into something that's very workable, or even an entirely different effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » How Divine by Michael Kras (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL