The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Can you soften old Magic wax? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2129 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Ok, so summer is here, and you know what that means! That’s right, spring cleaning. Yea, I know that does not make sense, but hey. Well, long story short and I am cleaning and organizing my magic kit. (it’s more of a HUGE tool box I got from Wal-Mart) But regardless….

So, I am going to have some random questions from time to time – because I am coming across some stuff and effects…that I don’t remember….

So – that aside – - Magician's Wax - is there any way to soften it?

Mine seems hard as a rock! Must be old and needing to be thrown out? Seems a waste.....
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yep...throw it out. Then get a wax ring used to seat toilets from a hardware store. They cost about $2(US) and you'll have enough wax last a lifetime!

Mark.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
I have found tha magicians wax (the kind more akin to Card on Ceiling) is easily softened with just a few seconds of kneading the ball you are using.

Mind you that used for things like IT anchoring, which is Bees Wax, is always much harder, but also requires a bit of kneading to soften.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5385 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I actually have varying needs; sometimes I want soft wax and other times hard (which, as gdw already mentioned, is great when kneeded). I actually have wax from 20 years ago, when I was a very young kid, that I still use with great success, and I also have a lifetime supply of soft wax, provided by the toilet bowl seal ring (that Mark graciously tipped you off to). Collectively, these two sources serve almost all my wax needs. Then again... I also have some Michael Ammar flesh colored wax... I swear, I am NOT addicted to magician's wax. Smile
PROFED
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago,Illinois
229 Posts

Profile of PROFED
Add a smal amt of babyh oil to the wax and microwave for a few seconds and you can make the wax as hard or as soft as you want.
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
I love Ammar Way and if you got crapy wax then toss it and buy some of his. It's so nice to work with and you don't have to worry about it hardening!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
mikemcclaskey
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of mikemcclaskey
On the topic of waxes, if it's flesh colored wax you're after - theater makeup suppliers carry 'nose' wax that can have its uses. It can be sticky, but there are times when that might be useful.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2007-07-06 08:57, mrunge wrote:
Yep...throw it out. Then get a wax ring used to seat toilets from a hardware store. They cost about $2(US) and you'll have enough wax last a lifetime!

Mark.

Then there's Meuseum Wax. Tough, soft, and generally freakin' awesome! Home Depot in the earthquake proofing section.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1524 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
If you need a sticky or kinda sticky wax try Candle Adhere.It is used to hold candles in place. Works well for some applications.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Dear magic friend,
It may sound low but heres an idea. Your local supermarket cheese section. Some cheeses have a wax covering that's clear wax and its the same thing.It peels off with the same consistency. donRodrigo
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-10-07 23:22, dbaker_creator wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-06 08:57, mrunge wrote:

Mark.

We don't have earthquakes in our part of the world, so this may not be available here.

This has already been mentioned -- the products used to hold candles in candle holders is some of the best around. It's basically the same wax you pay a lot more for at magic shops. It comes in convenient button-shaped chunks.

If your wax has hardened in the container, you probably shouldn't put it in the microwave. And DON'T put baby oil in it. If you do, the baby oil will leach out of it on certain surfaces.

Then there's Meuseum Wax. Tough, soft, and generally freakin' awesome! Home Depot in the earthquake proofing section.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of padre rich
I use different waxes for different stuff.
Wax from toilet seals for gaffing citrus
Surfboard winter wax for C.O.C.
Surfboard winter wax for C.O.C.in tropical climates .
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I havnt ever purchaced magicians wax. maybe you can expirement with some basic solvents,and if its water based try kneeding in some water I did discover that many household appliances use a sticky gum to hold things in place inside them. one thing I found this on is one of those cheap 20 inch box fans that walmart sells.that went bad last summer so I scrapped it out. the fan had a nice gummy substance holding the cord away from the blades inside.
I tryed it out using some coins & other objcts.
worked well took a very small amount to be effective,and was free
Many tell me I`m like Mcgiver
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
373 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
I found this in "Cyclopedia of Magic" by Henry Hay:

"Beeswax is an article of frequent use in magical operations; if, as sometimes happens, the pure wax is found to be too hard, or not adhesive enough, the addition of a small quantity (say an eighth part) of turpentine, mixed with the melted wax, will soften it.

The best wax for magic purposes may be purchased at any drugstore [me: not anymore]. It is called “Diachylon Plaster” (or lead plaster). Its usual form is a round bar about one inch in diameter.

Cut from the center a small piece, and work it between the fingers a few moments, when it will become tacky; it will come off clean and in one piece from the card or other object on which it is used."
illusionist13
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of illusionist13
Toilet wax? wow, never thought of that, and worked with that stuff all the time! is it decent for Card on ceiling?
Surfboard wax, another great idea!
pjpastir
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of pjpastir
Wow I just found some Michael Ammar magic wax that I bought when he gave a lecture at our ring, it must be at least 6 or 7 years old and still usable. If it had't been for this thread I would have never known. I wonder what makes his so long lasting ???
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Can you soften old Magic wax? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL