The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Your thoughts on a P.A. system (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Haven't come across this in my search in the Café, and am wondering what others may think about:
PM600 sound system by WHARFDALE (comes w/ 2 speakers, powered mixer and mic) for $400CND
There is some info at:
http://ssl3.adhost.com/americanmusic/mer......id=34590

My typical venue includes audiences from 30-100 people.

Thanks,

John
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
My only major concern would be weight. Each speaker weighs 30 lbs, and the Mixer is 24 lbs (Total 84 lbs)

I know nothing about it's sound quality compared to others.
Dennis Michael
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5705 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The link didn't give many details. I'd be very reluctant to buy a PA without the specs, reviews, etc. I suppose it would depend on whether you get paid enough to set up all that equipment. I would just use a simple setup for small groups, under 100 people.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I found the specs doing a search, and again, the system was to big and heavy. The speakers were 12" size so that is a good thing, yet with that comes the added weight.

Here are some specs in PDF format:
http://www.wharfedalepro.com/pdf/pm_system_brochure_low.pdf
Dennis Michael
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
The days of Wharfendale as a quality British speaker manufacturer are long gone. It's a Chinese company now.

One reason not to buy.......it's covered with CARPET!
It goes downhill spec wise from there.

Like the song says....."you better shop around"
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Wharfedale doesn't have an 'n' in it, so why did I put one there?
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Some good points- thanks.

is one powered speaker (fender, crate, or what ever) suffice, or should I be considering two speakers for groups around 100. I'd also like to play music.

thanks,

john
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
John, an important thing to remember is that a lot of speakers will only give you 60 or 70 degrees of horizontal coverage in the vocal range.

It's not always about the number of people in your audience that may require two speakers, but how they're situated in front of your performance area.
In some situations, you may require two speakers to actually cover a wide, but not very deep audience area. In this example you're not using two speakers to get louder, but to get wider.

Two speakers will allow you to have flexibility in your coverage, and a bonus is that it will also give you some redundancy in case of a failure in one speaker, something that can be important in this 'all in one' powered speaker era.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

The question really is how much do you need the stereo effect?

If voice projection is all important and music is only in the background to enhance the routine, then your question is answered.
Dennis Michael
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
So Dennis, is it your proposal that the 'stereo effect' is more important than speaker coverage?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Not at all, the point was does one need two speakers for the gig they are doing or can one speaker accomplish that. Generally at small gatherings one speaker system can do it for groups of 100 or less, even though I've done this with success of up to 200. The distance from the first row and the speaker was within that 70 degree range.

Keep in mind I also have the new Fender PD-150 Plus with CD which is a two speaker system.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Your thoughts on a P.A. system (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL