The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mama Mia Magic / Magic Italian Style (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Mama Mia Magic / Magic Italian Style
Medium: DVDs, two sold seperately
Arena: close up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Aldo Colombini is a magician out of Italy who moved to the US several years ago and lives in the Los Angeles area. Known for his comedy magic performances Aldo is an excellent magician who won at FISM for close up and is blessed with great creativity. His lectures around the world are well attended and considered one of the best performer/lecturers working and his released routines are typically very good. A few years ago Aldo made a couple of videos for A1 Multimedia and they have been transferred, for lack of a better word, to DVD. The quality is as expected from A1, the picture and sound are fine. Sure the picture isn’t as clear as we expect today with digital equipment and all that fun stuff but there is no problem with the production on either DVD.

The DVD is standard for the time as far as set up. You get Aldo performing his material followed up by an explanation. Aldo does a very good job explaining the material and the material is solid throughout. Aldo’s accent is pleasant and while he at times stumbles across a word he has a problem with he handles it with humor and charm. Mostly cards with some coins, cups, and a pinch of rope tossed in you are shown and taught commercial routines. There is something for every close up worker here, most require a table, and since Aldo is a magic marketing guy along the lines of a Daryl or Ammar he has a good eye for magic that is going to be well received.

I’m doing the one review for both DVDs because they were releases as volume one and two and the production and set up for both are the same. I’ll go into each DVDs content separately though and give my thoughts on them. I will say now that I really like the magic of Colombini and I think this is one of the finest selections of commercial close up magic made and all within the abilities of most magicians. Unlike some others who release and endless stream of DVDs with everything they think of on it Aldo brought out these videos and most other material are released as packet tricks or routines. He gave his best here and it shows.

Mama Mia Magic Vol. 1

Cups and Balls:
This routine is done at a faster speed than most and the moves are unique and often very magical. The explanation is complete and it will take some practice because of the speed, timing, and accuracy required. This can be learned though, good cups and balls routine minus the big loads at the end so many like.

Mama Mia Coin Routine:
This routine looks very magical and no gimmicks. Just a Chinese coin with a hole in the middle, a half dollar, and two cards. There are some really nice moves in this routine that have other applications for vanishes etc.. The ending is a penetration of a coin onto a rope, very nice. Oh, also taught is a very good false knot that is the one I use in performance.

Ace-embly:
A nice and easy to do matrix routine with a nice kicker ending. More use of moves taught in the Mama Mia Coin Routine.

Aldo’s Oil And Water:
I like oil and water routines, I love my routine with it, and I think the spectators like them as well. This is a very clean one and easy to do once you get the steps down.

Italian Salad:
Another good oil and water routine. In this one the card case is brought into play and you have a nice ending.

Spell-O-Rama:
While I’m not big on spell to a card routines this one is interesting in the person gives you any name they want, be it Lucy or Lucille, and you hit the right card.

Band-O-Rama:
A rubber band is put around the deck and magically penetrates the deck ending up around only one card, the selection. A nice way to shift from cards to rubber band magic in a set.

Snap Jack:
This is a quick trick made up of a fantastic sleight by Trevor Lewis out of Wales. This move is great for you monte workers, it really tricks the eye. If a move is so good it can be a routine you know it is good. I learned this from Trevor Lewis and you will love its simpleness.

Magic Italian Style:

Mama Mia Card Routine:
This is a really nice complete routine with multiple productions and a good flow. You can learn this and if someone wants to see some magic, viola, you can do this routine and everyone is happy.

An Italian in Las Vegas:
Another nice routine with a creative way of determining what card was selected then finding it in the pack. Easy to do.

Out of This Boat:
A version of the great Out of This World routine by Curry. I always like OOTW routines and this one is done by the spectator. The way it is set up is very slick.

In-visible Coins:
Coin routine, a quick one, where the coins seem to move from hand to hand but don’t.

Leaping Lire:
A coin across routine, a quick and easy version. Not the best I’ve seen but not bad.

Laguna Shuttle:
A thought of card is produced from a deck shown to be completely blank. The handling is very nice and this kind of trick will blew the spectators mind.

The Brat Pack:
You’ll have to gimmick a deck but this a stumper and also entertaining. First a coin finds a card in the deck then another card vanishes from a packet and appears in another packet.

Italian Serenade:
A shorter routine but still a pretty solid routine if you don’t want to do a long one. Lots of interaction with the spectator.

Jack-ed Edge:
This is very easy, very clean, and looks great. A card is shown and put into a card box. The box is sandwiched in the deck but when it is flicked out the card you put into the deck is now upside down in the deck while the selected card is alone in the deck.

The A.C. Control:
Aldo shows how he gets a card to the top of the deck. If you don’t do the pass or need a method you can use this one if it suits you.

There you have it. A lot of really nice magic that is usable and would make a nice addition for many magicians. I’m glad to see these old videos that were so good being brought back in DVD format, they deserve to be seen by a new group of magicians who may have never heard of them. They were great videos a few years ago and they are great DVDs now.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5865 Posts

Profile of motown
I bought both of these videos when they came out several years ago. A lot of strong useable material. My personal favorites are: Ace-embly, Band-O-Rama, Laguna Shuttle, Brat Pack and Jacked Edge. You can't go wrong with these DVDs.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I also still have the old videos. The review brought back some nice memories.

In fact, I sometimes still use his oil and water routine from time to time, as it is very clean and very easy to handle, as most of his work.

Andy
Cards never lie
Magic Power
View Profile
Regular user
Taiwan
107 Posts

Profile of Magic Power
Italian Salad always is my favorite!

Thanks for the review

#100 post
Best,
Richard
"Be Nature"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mama Mia Magic / Magic Italian Style (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL