The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dai Vernon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
So I own Further Inner Secrets and More Inner secrets of card magic, but have never read them - someone want to tell me how stupid I am?

What am I missing out on?
Steve Cook
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Steve Cook
You may or may not be into card magic it doesn't really matter. Vernon's approach to card magic, and indeed all his magic, transcended mere technique, elevating his presentations into a true art form. His charm, charisma and gentlemanly manner all aided his likeability factor but above all, it was his NATURALNESS.
This factor above everything else, in my opinion shines through his work. It is
now legendary. Read the books David, not just the effects but REALLY read the books: they will almost certainly change the way you approach magic. They did for
me and, for countless others of my generation who were awestruck by the 'Vernon Phenomenon'. Read the books! Take care. Best of luck in all you do.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Vernon worked a problem until it just seemed like magic in his hands. I'm making my way through Ben's book on Vernon and have to say these books are a MUST read in addition to Vernon's own books.

Also, on a similar note, Pepka and I just interviewed Bill Palmer for The Magic Lantern and he talks quite a bit about knowing Vernon and what he learned from him.

Scott
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
Totally agree with the above posts. To get a real flavor of the "Vernon Touch," check out More Inner Secrets, p76, 'The Trick That Cannot Be Explained.' A great example of Vernon taking something and turning it into a showpiece. If you feel like getting more, I recommend Dai Vernon's Book of Magic. It covers most aspects of performing, and is also great.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Oh, I am totally into cards. I own his first volume on DVD - and I have watched that. I love the ol guys - I got to meet Billy McComb at the magic castle one time. Sweet guy. Man, can you imagine the day when Jay Sankey and Daniel Garcia are feeble old men and our kids call them the "masters?"

Eh as long as it IS them and not Chriss Angel.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You really need to read Inner Secrets first. It will show you how Vernon approached the problem of making the Ghost Count logical.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2007-07-15 02:03, Aaron Moring wrote:
To get a real flavor of the "Vernon Touch," check out More Inner Secrets, p76, 'The Trick That Cannot Be Explained.' A great example of Vernon taking something and turning it into a showpiece.

And also, Out of Sight, Out of Mind....great...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Dai Vernon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL