The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Bit torrent sites (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2245 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Dude, what the heck, I did a GOOGLE search for my name and effects I have typed up for my own personal use are on a grip of bit torrent sites.

that makes me so mad.... nothing I can do
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
busterjuggler
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia travelling worldwide now
352 Posts

Profile of busterjuggler
Can you rephrase, I can't understand, tricks you created are on bittorrent without your permission?

James
James BuSTAR
Australia's Comedy Juggling Superstar
info@jamesbustar.com
http://www.jugglingsuperstar.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Yes, some of my stuff is on those sites as well. A couple of my books. Without my permission and w/o the permission of the guy to whom I sold the rights.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Guardian452
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego
211 Posts

Profile of Guardian452
I have a friend who is COMPLETE bit torrent guy

doesn't buy ANYTHING

just downloads stuff

he sent me 2 cds full of stuff he illegally downloaded....i didn't know this at the time

So is it "unethical" to still watch the things on the CDS???
Hey, what can I say

O YEAH

www.myspace.com/jeffmagicman

add me, talk to me....if you add me send a message telling me what your screen name
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Is it ethical (or even legal) to walk by a store being robbed, look in for a minute, and then just keep walking without calling 911?

A friend makes an illegal copy of a movie ticket. Is it right to use the ticket?

A friend makes an illegal copy of a movie DVD. Is it right to watch that?

I think the answer to all three is the same and is pretty cut and dry.
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
Only using the ticket is illegal. All are unethical.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-08 02:52, Guardian452 wrote:
I have a friend who is COMPLETE bit torrent guy

doesn't buy ANYTHING

just downloads stuff

he sent me 2 cds full of stuff he illegally downloaded....i didn't know this at the time

So is it "unethical" to still watch the things on the CDS???

Sorry, but yes, it is. The ethical thing to do is to destroy the CDs and tell your friend to knock it off. He is stealing, plain and simple. He is stealing from people who put a lot of time, effort and MONEY into learning the art, and he is spitting in their faces and giving them the finger even as he learns the material they spent all that time, effort and MONEY to aquire and create.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Guardian452
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego
211 Posts

Profile of Guardian452
Alrighty

ill try telling him to stop
Hey, what can I say

O YEAH

www.myspace.com/jeffmagicman

add me, talk to me....if you add me send a message telling me what your screen name
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Perhaps you could ask him how he would feel if he wrote something and was selling it to pay his rent and then found out somebody else had uploaded it and was making it available for free. Most folks are pretty conscientious when they think about how it feels to be in the other guy's shoes.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
TX
2245 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Ok, this is not a rebuttal it's a joke I heard and it goes like this, "I was watching a DVD and at the beginning there was an FBI warning that said, 'Don't steal this movie, would you steal from someone's home? Would you steal a car?' and I thought to myself 'well, no' But if my friend just said, 'Hey, I got a brand new car - would you like me to burn you a copy/' I'd say - "HELL YEA!"
Youtube & Intstagram @MagicOrthodoxy
FOLLOW and SUBSCRIBE - I giveaway magic and cards every month
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

So the joke it that's it's okay to "copy" a car worth many thousands of dollars but (supposedly) not a trick or video offering tricks that is worth perhaps fifty dollars. Got you.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1604 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Unfortunately, there is no use for us to yell it is wrong...

Even the creator / copyright owner did nothing to stop them, maybe they cannot stop them afterall...

Already give up hope in such issue...
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Quote:
On 2007-07-10 08:50, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
So the joke it that's it's okay to "copy" a car worth many thousands of dollars but (supposedly) not a trick or video offering tricks that is worth perhaps fifty dollars. Got you.

Think that joke refers to the state of mind that people are currently in. Can you imagine being able to sue someone for coffee that is too hot, but you can't stop the guy from selling/copying your products. Well only if you have deep pockets because nobody wants to take on those cases.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-11 06:05, Steven Leung wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no use for us to yell it is wrong...

Even the creator / copyright owner did nothing to stop them, maybe they cannot stop them afterall...

Already give up hope in such issue...

Where are you getting your information? Because you're dead wrong. I for one, have tried to stop this. The problem is that it is so widespread and so easy for people to tear down one site and put up a new one. The other problem is that people are so quick to say things like, "There's no use for us to say that it's wrong." This shouldn't just be up to the creator. If you see or know of someone doing this kind of thing, whether you created it or not, you should do everything in your power to stop it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
My Lybrary Page
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Scott is right - there is a grand difference between a kid on YouTube giving his "tutorial" and a kid distributing copies of law-protected material.

But as mentioned above, it is like stopping a ocean to float the beach. The music industry is a good example. They fight like hell, but it is unlikely they will ever win the battle. Hence they are transforming their way of doing business.

Andy
Cards never lie
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

And just because they get away with it doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Just because they get away with doesn't mean we shouldn't say it's wrong. Just because they get away with it doesn't mean we should participate in it.
My Lybrary Page
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Right - so how do we face this? What changes do we need to make?
Cards never lie
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-07-12 02:23, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
And just because they get away with it doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Just because they get away with doesn't mean we shouldn't say it's wrong. Just because they get away with it doesn't mean we should participate in it.

Let's collapse that argument down so we can waste less time fussing:

Whether you are using a "borrowed" move, a work which was put into print without it's inventor/creator's permission during or after after their death, or somthing you got via gossip... or just downloaded it from the internet the result is the same. Let us not fuss over words where actions speak for themselves and results make the underlying principles clear. Know them by their works.

And just because they get away with it... doen't mean we should participate in it... unless it serves our purposes.

There are stones raining in through the roof and walls of the glass house of ethics in magicdom.

Magician, fool thyself.
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
963 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Perhaps it's becoming time to reconsider ebooks. They're an enormously convenient and low cost way to publish and the instant gratification is great fun for the buyer (I just bought Switchcraft last night). But with hardcopy at least the thief has to take the time to scan in the whole book.

I wrote two books (on computers and the Web, published in 1987 and 1997 respectively) and I'm thinking of writing one on magic. If I do I think I may stick to dead trees.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1878 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I don't think going to through the legal system (at least at this time) is going to stop it. We need to make an effort to change societies outlook on it. There should be no question whether it is legal or ethical in anyone's mind. We need to find better technology to slow it down.

On the more positive side, I think most working pros do buy their material, and those that don't perform much, and can't afford to purchase it, are the ones downloading it.

I personally prefer a "real" book over an ebook. They are easier to read (at this time). I imagine within 15 years a "real" book will be obsolete.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Bit torrent sites (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL