The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Menu's... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Hey guys.

I'm just curious to see what you guys do at birthday parties or the such so that you can let everyone know what you make.

Do you have a large board with the menu of all the balloon sculptures you create (just words, or words and drawings/pictures), do you have a paper menu that you either hand out to everyone at the party, or have on the table in front of you for everyone to look through to see what they want, do you have a book with real photo's of your work and what your offering?

Just wondering what you guys do to show what your willing to make.

Thanks,
-Vinnie
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Vinnie: Meyers sells 'clip art'. These are drawings of balloon shapes. I believe that you are supplied with a book as well as individual drawings with a peel off sticky back. I made up a large board, had it laminated at Staples and I hang it with velcro on my table. This is great for any type of line work. The only problem that I find with it is when I want to add new shapes that I've learned. I busked with these in Red Bank and other places and the menu board is a great help.
jake
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4435 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Why not:

Get a metal board (something magnetic) and print the pictures directly on to magnetic "paper" (see local STAPLES - other stationers available) and then you can swap your menu and add in new designs as needed.

Another option would be to use a "news stand" type set up with a plastic front that folds down and covers the pictures so that it is water proof. Again allows you to change your menu as needed!

I have seen a lot of face painters recently who have a folder with pictures in it. SO that people can flick through whilst in line.

The only problem with the menu idea is if you are moving around - you don’t want to be bogged down with heavy items.

Just my 2 pence worth (what’s that in USD today - about $30 or has it gone up from yesterday .... .OK I exaggerate)
Patriot
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Patriot
I work restaurants and move around alot. I sat down with a friend who creates caricatures out of Primo modeling plasti-clay and together we recreated all of my balloons into small 3D clay pins with clutch backs. They're amazingly strong when dry and have a shiny look like actual miniature balloons. I pin the balloons to one of my derby hats which now serves as decoration as well as a roaming hands-free menu. If the kids want a closer look, it's a simple task to remove the hat and hold it at eye level.

The only problem - Kids and adults keep asking me if they can have one of the pins instead of a balloon. If they weren't such a pain to make in fine detail, I'd mass produce and sell these puppies!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4435 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Maybe you can do a mass production? you don't have to do it in Fymo.....

but then would you be a baloon artist?
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
At a birthday party I explain I can do over 180 different types of creations. So everyone will get something different. In a moment I will be putting on some calm soothing music to twist the balloons by. If you like a particular creation you can let me know by sitting up straight smiling your biggest smile. Who ever has the biggest smile get it.

Then I put on my montage of songs that all the sculptures are choreographed to. The songs are familiar hits .... Monkeys, superstar, George of the jungle, Smooth, spiderman, spongebob ...... 99 luft balon starts it followed by Bad to the Bone!!!

Pain in the butt kids get theirs last. I rack out a structure every 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes.

No choices....... no whining......... only occasional parent is a spoiler. done right this is powerful. It accomplishes so much.

• Your an artist
• it is a routine that can be polished
• now it is part of your show and your not a machine
• it is fun for all to watch
• you don't have to listen to the kids
• you get done faster 15-20 children in half an hour

Oh yeah if some one demands a custom one I usually tell them to come a see me at my restaurant where I will make them anything they can think of.

The birthday child goes last and get a birthday cake hat, then does a musical number with me.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Patriot
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Patriot
Quote:
...but then would you be a balloon artist?

Fymo! That's the stuff...I'm worthless when it comes to this crafty stuff! Smile

But, then would that me make me a balloon modeling modeler? Can a balloon artist and a pin artist coexist peacefully? Good questions! Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4435 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
How about a model of you making a model of yoiu making a model of a balloon animal being made by you?

Or is that going to be too small in detail?????

See:- http://www.willard-wigan.com
and
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Slidesho......mp;site= (sorry it's along link)
Lochlan
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Lochlan
I just tell them I can make anything. A Friend of mine has an actual menu. An 8.5x11 inch piece of paper (actually fancy paper with a colorful balloon border) with sculptures divided into sections (worth something, worth more, worth a lot.) Also has a blurb about his shows, some promotional material for people to look at. I don't think it really speeds things up. People ask what this or that looks like and what color is this or that.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4435 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
It also gets them reading info about his act and how to book him! Nice idea! and if he gets it printed up in bulk he can give them away! good advertising?
Lochlan
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Lochlan
I bet you could make them into individual coloring book pages and your restaurants would give them out even when you weren't there.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4435 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Nice idea lochlan! Although they might get people saying I want a balloon- but then they just have to come back when you are there wont they!
magicupclose
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of magicupclose
Mark, Great idea & you are in control the whole time. You are presetning a show & it isn't a free for all.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2007-09-05 23:39, magicupclose wrote:
Mark, Great idea & you are in control the whole time. You are presetning a show & it isn't a free for all.

Thank you .... took a lot of years to get there!!
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
wardini
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of wardini
I'm a novice twister so I before hand I tend to make a sackfull of more difficult/exotic balloons which the parent can dish out at the end of the party. After my magic set I tell a fifteen minute story which involves dogs, parots, crocodiles etc. and as I tell the story I model the characters so the kids get to see some twisting.
David McCall
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of David McCall
Quote:
On 2007-07-09 14:09, Vinnie Laraway wrote:
Hey guys.

I'm just curious to see what you guys do at birthday parties or the such so that you can let everyone know what you make.

Do you have a large board with the menu of all the balloon sculptures you create (just words, or words and drawings/pictures), do you have a paper menu that you either hand out to everyone at the party, or have on the table in front of you for everyone to look through to see what they want, do you have a book with real photo's of your work and what your offering?

Just wondering what you guys do to show what your willing to make.

Thanks,
-Vinnie

I do two things. On occasion, I have a balloon menu made out of a large matte board; the issue with this is that it can cause problems on windy days or the days where the weather is so so. I got a little tired of lugging the thing around in the wind and rain.

I usually use a smaller balloon menu. Actually, I have two or three, depending on the situation. (I have a menu with a sword, and one without, for example), consisting of the simplest balloons to make. I have a lamination machine, which makes it easy to create a quick menu that looks nice, stays clean, and can resist rain/snow.

And since I am a graphic designer, I created the menus so that they have drawings that actually look like their balloon counterparts, right by each object's name. That way, 1) those kids that can't read as well can still make a decision based on pictures, 2) there's no dissappointment in that they're imagining somethiing different from what they end up getting.

Another idea I've taken a liking to, is I'd do "demo" balloons, set them on the table, and that way the kids could actually SEE what they looked like. However, it's not always the most practical situation if you have to move around a lot or have a crowded table.

If it's not busy, or it's a special occasion (small birthday party, for example), I also tell the children that I can try and do special requests, but it may take a little longer. Usually, though, I don't recommend this if you're starting out in balloons, as some kids may take 20 minutes on guessing fantastic 20 balloon sculptures and wanting you to do them in 2 minutes time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Menu's... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL