The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Good Gospel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

foxygrandma908
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of foxygrandma908
What is a good book or video for gospel magic? I am preforming for kids 6-11. I want good strong effect with a good strong message...
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
How about the .....bible? No seriously, a 'good strong message' is going to be the best if YOU write it - and that it comes from your heart, and your life. Maybe find a way to tell your testimony. God gave you a witness and it is just as effective as any other. But it becomes so much more powerful because it comes from you.

As far as magic goes - remember, you still need to be age appropriate. You can't do Harry Anderson's Needle Through the Arm, or Andrew Mayne's scary tricks.
Steve Varro
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN.
116 Posts

Profile of Steve Varro
Foxy:

Any of the 12 Gospel Trick series by Del Wilson. After the first two came out we agreed to publish them without question, because we new the quality of routuine would be there. Del hasn't dissappointed us.
STILL In HIS service

Steve Varro

International President of FCM

Owner/Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co.
foxygrandma908
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

David,

by message I meant that the trick had a good message behind it. I don't want to do bowling ball from briefcase and call it Gospel magic. I was think like Maynes trick where he draws a light on a pad and then turns the light on. and using it for some thing like "Jesus is the light, and you need to share the light". its a weekly thing for the same kids.

Steve,

Thanks I will definitely check them out.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I would recommend David Ginn's lecture notes as well as DVD of the lecture that he sells pertaining to Gospel Magic. It will give you several routines and a lot of good thoughts. The site is http://www.ginnmagic.com

Also, if I can be of any assistance please let me know. I've travled across the US doing Kid's Krusades majoring with gospel magic, so I can help you put together something.

God bless!
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Foxy - oh I understand what you are saying, and I still say - a 'good strong message' is going to be the best if YOU write it. You are asking if there is someone else's material out there you can use. I'm saying look at the magic you own, or perform and ask how they could be used to express the Kingdom. A bowling ball out of a suitcase could be used to talk about how Jesus was a God and King who came from an unexpected place (a manger, a blue collar family...)etc
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Hmmm...I may have to go by Bowling Ball from Sketch pad now...nice thought David.
foxygrandma908
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

David,
alright I think I understand what you are saying. I will start doing that. I just need a jump start and some guidelines.
foxygrandma908
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Thanks Terry I will also check those out.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Good to know my theology degree is being used for SOMETHING - ha ha
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
I personally don't have these but I have heard that they are good, and that is the Tarbell Gosepl Editions for Tarbell volumes 1 and 2. Also check out Doc Haley and Duane Laflin or even Barry Mitchell might have some good stuff on their websites.
magic4jc
View Profile
Regular user
Texas, USA
148 Posts

Profile of magic4jc
Duane Laflin is my hero!!!!!!

You will find tons of useful Gospel routines in his books and DVDs.

While I agree with David, that YOUR own routine is best for you, I also understand that you are seeking a few examples as a guide.

I have many ideas that could use props you already own with a gospel message. If you would PM me with some of the effects that you already use, I will be glad to try to share a gospel application for those effects.

Sometimes what we need are a few examples to get the ball rolling!

I'd be glad to help you in PM.

Also, tmowens has some amazing clips on youtube to give you some ideas.

Because He Lives,
Mike
mikecorry.com
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Foxy;
Duane Laflin's book, "Greater Gospel Magic" is, in my opinion, the best resource available for anyone who does or is contemplating doing Gospel Magic.

There are specific routines in the book, but more important Duane points out the reason for this genre, some Do's and Don'ts and some spiritual precautions involved with presenting the Gospel through magic.

It is a bit pricey, but I think it is the best investment a serious Gospel magician could make.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Doug, I am not sure if you knew that Duane's book is O.O.P. and is very hard to find. It is a Great book if you can find it.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I second the vote for Laflin's Greater Gospel Magic. I convers important concepts, history, and specific routines (often using props you already own). Sadly, it is out of print, but you may find a used copy if you look around, and advertise on the Café (that's how I got my copy earlier this year). You can also expect to pay a premium for it.

The Del Wilson "12" series are also good. They are just the tricks with a gospel message, no theory, history...

There are two books called Spiritual Appication for Tarbell 1 & 2. They just give the patter, you need Tarbell 1/2 for the method. In my opinion, you are better off with just the Tarbell books and your bible; essentially all of the gospel routines in there seemed weak/contrived.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Steve Varro
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville TN.
116 Posts

Profile of Steve Varro
Yes, Duane's Book "Greater Gospel Magic" is out of print. However for the serious buyer we do have two autographed copies for sale.( Warning they are expensive, but when they're gone they're gone).

Just go to the book section at http://www.gospelmagic.com.

Barry Mitchells "The Magic of Thinking Creatively" (while not Gospel, is also a fantastic book

Steve Varro
Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co.

P.S. You'll find the other books mentioned on this thread there also.
STILL In HIS service

Steve Varro

International President of FCM

Owner/Dock Haley Gospel Magic Co.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Good Gospel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL