The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Steranko's world of escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
I was reading the escapist newsletter today and read that this magazine (Steranko's world of escape) sold for 1200$ at an auction !
How in the world is this possible ?

... because I happen to have one and wondered how much it could be worth ...
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
I'm not sure what it is worth but. isn't this a issue from 1964 and a Genii Issue at that ?
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
You mean there was 2 different issues ? or what ?

I got the genii one (don't know the date as I don't have it here with me)
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 14:17, Xargos wrote:
I was reading the escapist newsletter today and read that this magazine (Steranko's world of escape) sold for 1200$ at an auction !
How in the world is this possible ?

It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. On a couple of occasions, I've participated in auctions and paid more than what something was worth because I didn't have it, I wanted it, and I didn't know when another one would come along. I just recently paid a tidy sum for one christmas ornament (Snoopy on a doghouse 1992...the light up one) that I didn't have that was part of a series. I wanted that ornament to complete the series, and paid more than the book said it was worth, but it was a must have for me. Of course, now, the completed collection is worth more!

So, as with all auctions, the value of the item and what someone is willing to pay are two different things.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4328 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Margarette

"Snoopy on a doghouse 1992...the light up one" .......

so how does one go about using that in an escape?
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Mine sold last year on Ebay for $128 it was originally owned by Dunninger. It is worth what people are willing to pay, as stated above.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 16:34, dave_matkin wrote:
Margarette

"Snoopy on a doghouse 1992...the light up one" .......

so how does one go about using that in an escape?

I actually included that description for one other person who is an avid Peanuts fan that I know frequents this forum. As for using it in an escape...it is all part of my master plan for the ultimate escape....Margarette's Escape From Reality!! <insert evil laugh, here>

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Actually I owned 2 issues at one time.

When I heard that someone stole the issue that was kept in the Magic Castle's library, I donated one of mine. The other I still have in my library.

Yup, 1964, and in perfect condition. If this baby would get me $1000US I'd sell it in a heart beat!..... any heart beats out there?

I'd even sell it in my pajamas! How I'd get it in my pajamas is a different story.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4328 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Its clear that you "love" your Steranko's world of escape ... not sure that the love is recipricle enough for it to want to "get in to your pajamas" Smile
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Uh, actually I was twisting words by Groucho Marx. I guess I twisted them too much. Or else everyone here is too young to remember Groucho.....
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4328 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Joe Joe Joe

I am afraid I don’t remember Groucho Marx. I keep meaning to get some of their work but I just don’t have time at the moment.

What film is it from ??? I will put it on my list of "films to see" then I will get back to you with "oh that Groucho Marx quote.

Dave
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2477 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Was that Rufus T. Firefly's line?

I once shot an elephant in my pajamas, how he got in my pajamas I'll never know.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4328 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Oh that one!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
The Escapist Newsletter? Which one are you referring to?

I know of Ian McColl's old publication, and of the online gaming journal.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2477 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Actually, thinking about it, it may have been Capt. Spaulding the African explorer who said that.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Xargos
View Profile
Loyal user
Brussels
268 Posts

Profile of Xargos
Steve : the McColl's one
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
I enjoy my copy which I got from Carrandi some years ago. Its I think maybe a $50-75 value nowadays as it turns up on ebay several times a year.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Okay, you drive a hard bargain. I'll let my copy of Steranko go for only $800, and a hard boiled egg.

:patty: Make that 2 hard boiled eggs.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4328 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Joe I have put the pan of water on now ... the eggs will be going in when it comes to the boil. I will leave them for at least 8 minutes (may be even 10!).

if you want I can go round teh chippy and pick up a couple of pickled eggs as well for you!

Hey whilst we are on hard boiled eggs - do you kow the hard boiled egg into the milk bottle "trick"?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5283 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I got my copy from a magic club auction for $10.00 maybe 8 or nine years ago. I guess I got it for $5.00 since it came with the Steranko edition on card magic. It is pristine, it had been owned by a magician who is also a comic book collector (and in fact left magic in favor of his comic book addiction!). There is not a bend, stain, crease on any page or either magazine.

I doubt if I would sell it but if I was offered over a grand I'd have to seriously think about it!

Someone ought to buy the rights to this volume and print it as a book. Reset the type to a larger point, maybe enhance and/or reshoot the photos, etc. It is one of the best general books on escapes written. In fact his thinking on the presentation of escapes has not been improved upon. He was decades ahead of his time. As an aside he is still living (in PA) and is a well known and award wining artist/illustrator.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Steranko's world of escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL