The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wow! Octagon Illusion, New From Dream Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
HMmm....

I watched the video.. The prop looks neat, but I think a shadow box is better effect. I have a problem with the way that the magician craws through the fabric, I thought it looked strange after the arm... The step through looks off....
One should go for the Instant Babe for this price a much better way to appear.... I think if the fabric wall would spin on its own without stage hands then it would be kick butt illusion.....
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
No Curtis, the frame is LOCKED before the appearance. A performance is due in about a week. Then you can make a more educated decision.
Instant babe=6K without case...one person only
Octagon=$4400 WITH ATA up to three persons.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Gear Head video is now online.
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I found the gear head video confusing. I had to watch it more than twice to get an idea of what the effect is supposed to be. Can you post a video of the performance instead of the MTV version? Honestly... I think that will help sell/describe the effect more. How hard is it to simply take a video camera and shoot the effect?? It doesn't have to be video from an actual show. A simple demo in the shop would work just fine much like Malloy's Vanishing Radio was filmed as a quick demo.

Best,

Tim
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Tim, I agree with you the video is hard to watch....
But, I think this trick is not the greatest.... I was waiting for the train to come out of that giant box.... I think the good old fashion body twister is a better effect....
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Gotta agree with Tim and Curtis. Video is hard to watch and the effect kinda remains a mystery. Like Curtis, I was waiting for a finale as the box is kinda huge...better video please!
Sent from my Typewriter
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Yep - the same here, like I mentioned above to help Jack (not to attack!).
Quote:
On 2007-08-14 10:02, The Mirror Images wrote:
This video was designed to share the prop feel / look - not to sell a performance,

It´s not about selling a performance. For the "prop look" there is already the pic on Jack´s page. The "prop feel" is totally depending on the individual performance.
Again as promo video it´s okay. But interested illusionists wanna see what really happens. It can be cheap and fast home-camera made (see Malloy´s-radio) shots for that. The performance will be individually changed and adapted anyway. It´s just to get the idea... (i.e. if I would buy octagon I would give it a totally other feel, than the one on the video - this feel is (for my part) not fitting...)
Naturally it is the best - for selling - to have a good effect view assisted by a good performance.
- by the good overview /effect impression you get it sold to good illusionists
- by the good performance you get it also sold to the ones, who have no own performance ideas
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
182 Posts

Profile of allan31
Hi !

We can thank Steven and Michael from "the mirror images " for the hard on the video editing ...but it's not really what we, magicians, would like to see !!!

Please, could you put on the website a simple video of the effect without all theses camera effects...It seems to be a demonstration of all the possibilities of your video editing software!!! lol

regards
allan
allan31
View Profile
Regular user
everywhere
182 Posts

Profile of allan31
Re hi !

It really begins to be a problem with these video clips ! A lot of booking agencies don't know what to think of the performance, the artist, the showmanship, the music of the show when they recivce such clips from young illusionists ...
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
In responding to the questions raised thus far by magicians this effect is not the same as Twister, which leads to the body being all twisted up. Instead, I would make a head-on comparison to Zig Zag. In Zig Zag, the mid-chest is displaced to the left of the rest of the body. Similarly, in Gear Head, there is a rotary displacement of the hands from the head. An entirely new method is used that permits the hands to rotate a full 360' independent from the head, a seeming contradiction in the laws of physics (physiques, ha). Zig Zag is a displacement effect, and so is Gear Head. Showing that his hands remain tightly bound at the conclusion is thus essential for the lay person and the customer to understand that they have witnessed an impossibility.

It bears re-iterating that you are seeing an entirely new and exclusive method in the art of illusion, that allows anyone to examine all props, even down to the rope. No re-setting of the illusion is required- hey, the audience volunteer resets it for the performer! How many illusions can claim that?

The "huge box" has also been mentioned. This is not a base!!! The size should not be an issue, it still has a very small stage footprint. ONE person is used.

Jack
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-08-15 08:26, Jack Murray wrote:
In responding to the questions raised thus far by magicians this effect is not the same as Twister, which leads to the body being all twisted up. Instead, I would make a head-on comparison to Zig Zag. In Zig Zag, the mid-chest is displaced to the left of the rest of the body. Similarly, in Gear Head, there is a rotary displacement of the hands from the head. An entirely new method is used that permits the hands to rotate a full 360' independent from the head, a seeming contradiction in the laws of physics (physiques, ha). Zig Zag is a displacement effect, and so is Gear Head. Showing that his hands remain tightly bound at the conclusion is thus essential for the lay person and the customer to understand that they have witnessed an impossibility.

It bears re-iterating that you are seeing an entirely new and exclusive method in the art of illusion, that allows anyone to examine all props, even down to the rope. No re-setting of the illusion is required- hey, the audience volunteer resets it for the performer! How many illusions can claim that?

Jack

Jack,

This sounds impressive. I certainly didn't get that from the video. I still think a straight performance video would have sold the effect to us better. I don't think Steven and Michael performed it with the audience spinning around the prop and zooming in tight on parts. LOL If we could see the straight performance it'd help us see the prop for what it is. I can tell you are proud of this one so ... let us see more of it in performance so we can better understand it.

Best,

Tim
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Thanks Tim. I can see that the vid on my site doesn't really showcase the effect the way it should to make it completely clear as to what it does. This will be remedied as well as the vid for Octagon. Patience please.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-08-15 10:17, Jack Murray wrote:
Thanks Tim. I can see that the vid on my site doesn't really showcase the effect the way it should to make it completely clear as to what it does. This will be remedied as well as the vid for Octagon. Patience please.

No worries Jack. Been there done that! Its happened to all of us. LOL How many times as performers have we made that mistake of including a new prop into a show that we haven't really rehearsed only to get bitten by our haste. I guess the same can apply to someone in a hurry to show off their new toy. Problem is... Magicians aren't as nice about it as lay audiences. LOL I think it best we wait for a performance/demo video before forming any real opinions.

Best,

Tim
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
I agree. I don't think some here realize how difficult it is to get a performance vid of a new effect. The mirror images had an upcoming show....I needed the vids so it seemed to fit.
Everyone is certanily entitled to an opinion but to be fair with me and other builders, let's wait untill the new vids are on line. I've already agreed new one's are necessary.
Don't forget guys....magicians want "new" effects so don't shoot down the "new" effects you say you want. Naturally not every effect is for everyone even if it's designed by Jim Steinmeyer.
I just ask you give them a "fair" look. And that won't be untill different vids are available.
Thank you!
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Hello Friends,

I agree with all of you that new videos are a must. Only with more clear and concise videos will we be able to form our own accurate and informed opinions on the two illusions in question. I have spoken with Jack in great detail about both "The Octagon" and "Gear Head," and I believe they are both great illusions. As far as "Gear Head" goes, a strait forward demonstration will really allow us all to better understand/appreciate the puzzling impossiblity of this new illusion. Is everyone going to love both illusions? Absolutely not. Different strokes for different folks. But, I think most will appreciate what Jack has to offer. I am excited to see the new videos, and then I will give my honest opinion.

Timothy, I appreciate honest, intelligent people like you here on the magic Café. You obviously know your illusions and you are a seasoned performer.

Curtis, I think that your juxtaposition of "Instant Babe" and "The Octagon" is off base and uninformed. You are comparing apples to oranges, or to use magic as an example, it's like comparing a Blammo box to Copperfield's Motorcycle Shadow Box, (which by the way, does not have automation, but two people who raise and lower the front panel). "The Octagon," is a large illusion that can produce multiple people in a dramatic fashion. "Instant Babe" is a quick and astonishing production of one person from a thin platform. The illusions are not similar in size, presentation, or even aesthetics. Additionally, while I cannot give an honest review of "Gear Head," since I have not seen the new video, I wonder why the size of the box would make any difference? We are not talking about producing people from a deceptive base. To me the box looks pretty proportional to the size of a human being. Maybe it's a little large, but from what I understand, that has nothing to do with the emphasis of this effect. These are just my opinions, agree or disagree. Looking forward to continuing this discussion once the new videos are available. I am

Your Friend in Magic,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Lance Richardson
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Lance Richardson
Let me start by saying I was back stage during the first performance of the Octagon illusion by Dream Illusions, so I have first hand info on this effect.

What impressed me about Octagon was the fact that it’s small in physical scale off stage but reads larger than life on stage.
The other unique thing about the illusion is the ability for the prop to be brought on stage in front of the audience, then walk around it before you spin the octagon frame. Personally I would not use the shadow effect and keep the stage well lit but I understand Jack wanting to create something with mass appeal, thus the shadow effect.
One last thing, for a guy who always gets roped into staying after the show and help tear down props the Octagon was a dream to work with, that prop was apart and in a case in minutes, no bolts no pin hinges.

Great work Jack,
Lance
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I was comparing Instant Babe with the other illusions such as making someone appear.... In the video only one guy appeared.... I just think Instant Babe is much better effect more magical.... Plus, it has less staging restrictions...

Now, I think a shadow box that can make two or more appear (depending on design) is better for the price and coolness.... Not undermining the construction of Jack's props but the effect verses the value....
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
We had the honor of performing the first of these illusions during Fab Magic Convention on August 4th 2007. We broke down each illusion for you.

Octagon:

When Jack approached us about the idea (he was watching I Love Lucy when he thought of it) we got right to work with which method to use, performance styles and so forth. Jack was VERY instrumental in every aspect after he built the illusion from looking at the music, to lighting ideas, to movements on stage and so forth.

It is SOOOO easy to put this illusion together. There are NO BOLTS. I will repeat this one more time. NO BOLTS. It is a dream to assemble and disassemble. Everything comes apart and lays flat in a nice ATA case that is included with the purchase of the illusion. The legs all pop into place. The up-right unit that holds the octagon portion pops right into place. And get this - the staircase in the front breaks down flat too. Very impressive construction methods.

Well now we talked about how the illusion is assembled. Lets talk about performance here. We performed Octagon as an double appearance. This illusion can be performed as an appearance, a vanish, or a switch. You can produce up to 3 people comfortably.

Now how was the audiences reaction to the effect. Well lets just say the audience was blown away. With the use of floor intels to scan the underneath the illusion and all around the illusion it was clearly seen that nothing was being hidden. The lights scanned all the way to the back curtain. Then the octagon framework is then rotated to show nothing behind the frame work. The light comes on for a shadow appearance. The audience reaction was fantastic. They truly where blown away.

It was great to hear feedback from the audience and to hear that it was a top notch effect. It is truly nice to hear those comments when it is the first time it has been on stage. So the feedback we got was excellent and others will receive the same.

Gear-Head

Tom Minnich is the designer of this illusion and is a great guy to talk magic with. A lot of thought has went into this illusion. Jack took the drawings and put them into reality. This prop looks amazing and plays great with the audience. The illusion plays where the cabinet can be FULLY examined and the magicians hands are tied behind his back and his hands are then put thru a hole in one of the main gears. Magicians head sticks out of the top. There are no covers for his head at all and is in view at all times. The gears are then cranked and start to move the hands which are cranked into a circular motion (360 degress - clockwise for those that don't know time Smile ) while the entire body does a 360 degree rotation in the box detaching from the hands. Looks impossible. But let me tell you it surly is a twisted effect. A new twist to magic. The gears moving on the illusion really bring this illusion to a new level by giving a cool visual, while seeing the magicians hands and head rotate simultaneously in an impossible manner.

Lets talk about how this piece is built. This illusion is well built with aluminum, 100% powder-coated, gears made to last, and a detail graphic for theme. Everything packs flat. No matter what height you are you can still perform this illusion because Jack built in a lever system where you can raise the box or lower it to your height level. Very cool addition to the piece. So it is a one size fits all :O)

How was the audience reaction. With this it was very well received. The audience was blown away with the multi-rotation and left scratching their heads at the end saying "Wow - Did I just see that?". The cool thing about this illusion is you can perform it surround. And they will still go..."wait - how???"

Any questions about these two illusions please ask Jack and he will be more the happy to answer your questions.

Thanks Jack for letting us be part of this project and allowing us to perform and share the new stuff on your line. For those that are looking for something powerful and new for your show, along with being easy to put together, then you have found the right illusions. We feel these are worth the purchase for those out there that want the next best thing.

Many of you have read the many reviews about Jacks service, quality, craftsmanship, and his honesty. It is all true. We have several of his props and they have done us well. We have several ATA cases and again top notch too. I have an ATA case from a regular ATA case company that is falling apart and I have had that less years then the cases from Dream Illusions. Jack also makes all of illusions with an ATA case and he makes them durable and so forth. If you need an ATA case call him up because Jack can build them at an affordable price with durability and dependability. You should check the shop out since now he has more foam in that shop for the cases then the foam company itself. LOL

Well that is it. Sorry to make the review long but we feel it is well deserved for both illusions.

Thanks Jack for the amazing work with the long hours you have put into each of these effects. It truly shows.
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-08-15 23:14, The Mirror Images wrote:

When Jack approached us about the idea (he was watching I Love Lucy when he thought of it)

Ok.. just to lighten the mood up here. I'm going to guess the I Love Lucy episode. I have not seen the Octagon video but my guess how it works makes me think it was the Harpo Marx episode? Am I right Jack?

Best,

Tim
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
After looking at the video I really can't tell how big the illusion is. Can someone tell me the size of the footprint?

If I did buy this, I would get two. I would have both on stage and would rotate the screens myself. I then would walk into one and vanish. And then walk out of the other from the other side of the stage. That should get some attention!

Would I also be able to make the screen flip over alittle after I walked into it and vanish? I am thinking more along the lines of drilling and pulling, if you get my idea. Very low tech.

The method of how I can vanish into one and walk out of the other is because I have a brother who was born less then a minute before me!

Ray
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wow! Octagon Illusion, New From Dream Illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL