The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Abbott's "Nu-Power Rising Cards" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
This item is now back on the Abbott website, after being deleted from a few previous catalogs:

http://abbottmagic.com/catalog/index.php......164af5c3

With a retail cost of $350 - Can someone share their experience with working with this prop? I'd be curious to know:

*Must you hold-touch the houlette during each card's rise? Or can the magi be standing away from the table as one or more of the cards rise?

*Do the selected cards need to be "controlled", or can a spectator shuffle the cards after the selections? (not an issue for me, but still curious).

The houlette looks like a beauty to show & own, and yet I haven't located any mentions of it here on the "Café" (or on other forums, for that matter). Is the ad all hype? How practical is this prop?

Thanks!

Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Hey Moxahalla,

I gotta tell you that I love the Nu-Power card rise. I have the older model, the only difference is that the older model uses bridge size cards and the new one uses poker size cards.

I personally think the card rise is great. It does look like a "classical" magic prop. Which works very well for me. I have been using mine for 32 years and never a problem. I do a lot of grind work so it really gets a workout! It is very durable!!!! I love to recommend it because the price tag will keep it out of the hands of most and it will remaine unique.

I have noticed that when Abbotts makes something and it is slow selling they usually keep it in the catalog but really don't restock them. So if you do want one - it is best to get one while they are there.

Best Regards!!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I recently acquired one of these. Unfortunately the spring metal piece that attaches to the pushbrod was broken off. Would like to try and repair but not sure what it looks like. If someone could PM me a picture I would be very grateful! If anyone has suggestions on how to repair it would love to hear them. Thanks!

John
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
JMtalbot:

This isn't an easy repair, and I know this personally because I had it happen to mine (Newer, Poker-Sized Version) shortly after buying it. I contacted Abbott's and Greg Bordner told me to ship the unit back, which I did, and he repaired it for me.

This is a classic trick with classic apparatus and "just works" when handled and presented properly. But, due to it's very intricate construction, it needs to be carefully packed when transporting back and forth to shows.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thanks Rainboguy, was afraid of that. Mine is the older bridge size. Would you be able to take a picture of the spring metal piece? I know a guy that may be able to repair it but want to show him what it should look like. Thanks,

John
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Update. My local magic shop owner had one in his collection that he loaned me. I was able to repair mine with a piece of spring metal from a dollar store bill Snatcher. It was an exact match to the material on the original. Really was not that difficult. Sometimes things work out easily.... unfortunately not always. It is a nice prop.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Abbott's "Nu-Power Rising Cards" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL