The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Card to wallet question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gvmagic1
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of gvmagic1
Not sure if this is the right place to ask the following question, but here goes. I've been looking at Randy Wakeman's Card to Wallet and from what I have read here at the Café, it might be what I'm looking for. As I believe this might be a little costly, I would appreciate any comments about Randy's Wallet. And where might I be able to locate one?

Thanks
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
748 Posts

Profile of jcroop
Everyone seems to like it.

See: http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......t=000134
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=113

Listed at: http://randywakemanmagic.com/wallets.html $125
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1358 $90

I like hip wallets because other than magicians, I have never seen anyone else use a wallet from inside of their jacket. Maybe I hang out with the wrong crowd!

Jim
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
I have the wallet that Joe Stevens was selling at the Las Vegas convention in March 2007. This is a fine quality Le Paul wallet with a zipper and looks to be the one shown at the URL you give. If I got one, I did not keep any routine sent with the wallet. I think I paid less than $90 (maybe $60), but that might have been a convention special or something like that. At the time, I asked Joe if this was his own wallet, and he said , "No it's a commercial model."

This is far and away the best Le Paul wallet I have seen since the so called Jennings wallet (marketed by Jeff Busby circa 1975) went off the market. Although not quite as light and soft as the Jennings wallet, this model from Stevens is actually smaller than the Jennings version. I like it very much, and I have had four LePaul wallets over the years, a couple of which were TERRIBLE--stiff and poor construction. One from England had a glued-on zipper pocket which fell apart after a couple of months' use. Another from Haiwaii was a good one but larger and heavier than what Stevens sells.

On the question of whether one should have a breast-pocket type of wallet or a hip-pocket wallet, I do not think there is a single answer. I have both: a the Le Paul breast-type wallet, and the Steve Braun hip-type pocket ("The Real Man's Wallet").

For over thirty years I have performed the Francis Carlyle signed cards-to-wallet routine (from his book). Two cards are selected and signed, and they are secretly removed using a diagonal palm shift (from Erdnase as amended by Vernon in Revelations). The two cards end up inside the wallet, inside a zippered compartment, inside a sealed envelope (sealed with sealing wax), which is opened by the magician with the help of the spectator to reveal the two signed cards. This is a strong trick that has gotten me great results for many years.

In the thirty plus years I have done the trick, I have NEVER once heard anybody even ask about the wallet, NOT ONCE. I did discuss this point with Whit Haydn, who uses a Le Paul wallet especially made for him. He puts a passport and air tickets into the wallet in order to give reason for the larger size.

I would prefer to use a hip-type wallet because I often perform without a jacket. However, I have not seen a hip-type wallet that would allow loading into a sealed envelope. The envelope is such a strong feature of the routine that I would not forego it just to use a hip-type wallet. Thus, I stick with the breast-type Le Paul wallet.

I also use the Le Paul wallet for Confabulous, the classic mental routine in which predicted items are found written on a card that is sealed inside a wallet and inside a sealed envelope. I use the Ron Wilson routine from his book.

I have just started to use the Steve Draun wallet for Jon Armstrong's Three-card Monte routine with three blank cards (blank back and front). The "money" card is the one signed by a spectator and ends up in the sealed compartment of the hip-pocket wallet. I had always wanted a strong finish for the Monte, and Jon's routine has this. I plan to use this wallet with the above-mentioned Carlyle routine for use when not wearing a jacket and plan use a single card instead of two. Incidentally, in his lecture, Jon Armstrong recommends the Draun wallet, so I bought it.

I hope this helps. By the way, I have known a lot of professional magicians who have the Le Paul wallet for feature effects in their acts--Whit Haydn, Ron Wilson, Mike Skinner, Bruce Cervon, Don Alan, Francis Carlyle, and of course Johnny Le Paul. This device makes for great magic.

Good luck

Jim Mullen
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
billtaylor
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
4 Posts

Profile of billtaylor
LePaul-type wallets have a zipper that follows an L-shaped path around two sides of the zippered compartment. This makes it easier to remove the envelope (and also to set the wallet for the next performance.)

Unfortunately in every LePaul wallet I've seen, even the very best, the zipper opens (starts) from the top, narrow end of the wallet, the end that's exposed when the wallet is closed! An alert spectator might wonder if the zipper was partly open while the wallet was in your pocket and closed when the wallet was removed. Doesn't explain how the card got in the envelope, but why leave any avenue open for explanation? Long ago, someone stopped thinking too soon, and everyone else followed blindly along.

Second the thought expressed elsewhere that LePaul's "Card in the Envelope", from "The Card Magic of LePaul" is still very strong, and costs almost nothing! In effect the magician removes a little stack of unopened mail from his inner coat pocket. "I just picked up my mail," the performer remarks. One of the sealed envelopes contains the spectator's signed card.

A few presentational thoughts: If the spectator can be induced to marking his card with an "X" by a gesture as you say "please put a mark somewhere on the face", it's a good gag. Then if the envelope in the stack of mail or in the wallet turns out to be addressed to "Mr. X" it's an even better gag. Alternatively in many performing situations you will know the name of someone for whom you will be working. If the envelope has his or her name on it, it's a marvelous personalized touch.

Best,

Bill Taylor
Nat
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Nat
Differences and similiarities: Badger Wallet, Super Slim Mullica, Anything to Wallet, Mullica, JOL -- your opinion for the most efficient and effective signed card to wallet, no palm.
Thanks.
nathan

Quote:
On 2011-12-17 09:30, billtaylor wrote:
LePaul-type wallets have a zipper that follows an L-shaped path around two sides of the zippered compartment. This makes it easier to remove the envelope (and also to set the wallet for the next performance.)

Unfortunately in every LePaul wallet I've seen, even the very best, the zipper opens (starts) from the top, narrow end of the wallet, the end that's exposed when the wallet is closed! An alert spectator might wonder if the zipper was partly open while the wallet was in your pocket and closed when the wallet was removed. Doesn't explain how the card got in the envelope, but why leave any avenue open for explanation? Long ago, someone stopped thinking too soon, and everyone else followed blindly along.

Second the thought expressed elsewhere that LePaul's "Card in the Envelope", from "The Card Magic of LePaul" is still very strong, and costs almost nothing! In effect the magician removes a little stack of unopened mail from his inner coat pocket. "I just picked up my mail," the performer remarks. One of the sealed envelopes contains the spectator's signed card.

A few presentational thoughts: If the spectator can be induced to marking his card with an "X" by a gesture as you say "please put a mark somewhere on the face", it's a good gag. Then if the envelope in the stack of mail or in the wallet turns out to be addressed to "Mr. X" it's an even better gag. Alternatively in many performing situations you will know the name of someone for whom you will be working. If the envelope has his or her name on it, it's a marvelous personalized touch.

Best,

Bill Taylor
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2669 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-12-26 13:38, Nat wrote:
Your opinion for the most efficient and effective signed card to wallet, no palm.
Thanks.
nathan

Nathan - with all due respect mate, I think that's a contradiction in terms.

I've yet to see a no-palm C2C that doesn't have the wallet coming suspiciously near the pack.

What's the problem with putting in something called WORK; and PRACTISING how to actually palm a card?

It isn't a sleight that's beyond the realms of possibility to achieve mate - honestly. I was doing it at 14 years old, and don't consider myself to be a 'finger-flinger' by any stretch of the imagination.

Why do blokes these days want everything in magic to be so easy?
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I have to agree. If I want the effect to hit hard, palming is the way to go. To me, "no palm" is doing it the hard way, unless you're talking about a gaffed deck - can't have the selection signed, in that case.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Dollar for dollar, the Royal wallet is a worker...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I've been palming cards since junior high ( not even cable TV back then ) and still I prefer to use the Mullica Wallet for my card to wallet. Just a personal choice.
mysticmelville
View Profile
New user
Scotland
52 Posts

Profile of mysticmelville
I have a wakeman wallet which I find great to use, though I'm trying to track down a lepaul wallet made by Lee Noble. If anyone has any information on one of these I'd be very grateful.
mysticmelville
View Profile
New user
Scotland
52 Posts

Thankyou
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Not to tip methods, but there is a potentially a difficult sleight to learn no matter which card to wallet you obtain. That should also be taken into consideration before buying.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2013-07-22 15:56, MRSharpe wrote:
Not to tip methods, but there is a potentially a difficult sleight to learn no matter which card to wallet you obtain. That should also be taken into consideration before buying.

How so? With a Mullica wallet. Which is a no palm approach your statement really isn't true. While a t.p. can seem daunting it isn't that much of a beast do to either.
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
I have the espionage wallet. I keep it totally loaded and ready to go, and it is my daily normal-use wallet besides. Nobody has ever suspected it was anything more than a regular wallet.
mysticmelville
View Profile
New user
Scotland
52 Posts

I have recently being trying again to track down a lepaul wallet made by Lee Noble. If anyone has a clue where I might be able to find one, please could you PM me. Thanks in advance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Card to wallet question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL