We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Stratosphere (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

newkid
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of newkid
I have a show coming up with several other magicans for my local club and we are perfoming at a harry potter party and the trick I am using is the stratosphere and I have used this before but only in a gospel routine so I was just wanting so tips on patter I could use other then gospel and if it was harry potter would be amazing thank you so much for your help.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
First, slow down. Any patter you do should be understandable.If you speak in any way like you write, you will be extremely hard to understand.

I use this exclusively in a gospel presentation as well, so I cannot offer a well-tested patter otherwise. However, if there is a Harry Potter theme, you could do something around this idea: the wizards training in Hogwarts are trained to keep their magic away from the muggle world. One reason is that mischievious young wizards might find it fun to mess with traffic lights, but imagine the chaos if the lights were all wrong. Muggles would crash everywhere.

The standard stratosphere lends itself to the traffic light theme. If you have a rip-off "joker tube" it might come in different colors, so that may not play.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
A traffic light routine, or fake safety message is what I use. The kids get a hoot out if it going wrong and the balls ending up in the wrong order. I kind of go with the flow with the kids reaction, you can tell when you have gone long enough. I do the vanis as the last thing, then put the thing off on another table in frustration at the end to the kids squeels of delight.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The beauty of making the prop yourself, as in Jim Gerrish's "Balls to the Walls" in The Wizards' Journal #11 (on my site) is that you can more easily change the design and the materials used. For example, you are not limited to the red, green and yellow balls of the commercial versions of the effect. Jim also has plans in the article for making the round cylinder intio a square tube, which looks quite a bit more "potteresque" and unlike a magic store prop.

Be that as it may, you can still manage a more HP theme than going with traffic lights by recalling the uses of the "port key" in the novels (or movie). The apparatus then becomes a "port key" tester to see if you can give "port key powers" to one of the balls to make it pass through the others, and to then vanish and return to its point of origin. If you weren't limited to the red-yellow-green balls, you could make them look more like a "remembrall" from the novels, or even like the globe of prophecy that is featured in the latest Harry Potter Movie that all the kids will surely have seen by now.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Could also play along the routine of the balls being the golden snitch and bloggers in the game of quidditch. Or how the golden ball is so evading.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
newkid
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of newkid
Thanks for all the help. I got some good ideas now.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I just did a show yesterday for a 6-7 year old crowd and LOTS of parents. I stuck in the Strats because the theme was trucks, boats, trains, etc. and I wanted a tie in. Quite frankly it was just filler. Used some of the younger kids because the mom wanted to have them in the show... they were basically ball holders, but they enjoyed it.

The thing was, after the show one of the parents who was watching intently on the front row came up and said that was the trick that blew him away. He just couldn't get his head around it. He was quite educated, a doctorate holder of ministry and education.

As you can see, this is quite an old thread, but I had to revive it for one purpose...what becomes tiresome for us is often the one thing that makes a mark.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1387 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
The strat-o-sphere is very hard to patter to. The magic is GREAT... but most patter is shoe horning a plot into an effect. But there is a solution.. A stratosphere where the story makes sense because the monster is SUPPOSED to be taken apart.. and put back together... and the mis-made part also makes sense.

http://www.wack-o-magic.com/mismademonster.html
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Nice plug, I like your product, but I've never had a problem with coming up with a routine regardless of setting. In fact, Practical Magic has an AWESOME routine for its Stat deluxe, and I've recently ordered one to replace my MAK version. Dan Wolf at Smoky Mountain Magic also has a version with interchangeable themes. Different strokes, I guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Stratosphere (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL