The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Double Lift Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hmanone
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of hmanone
Can anyone give tips/suggestions on perfecting the double lift. I've worked on all my sleights/forces, etc and can perform my card tricks with confidence, except for that darn double lift. If I look at the cards while doing its no problem, but obvisously not very effective. I try sliding the top two cards but sometimes get three cards. I try doing this while not looking, during the patter. I've also tried placing my hands over the top, and riffling the deck, from the back with my thumb, stopping at the top two cards and then use a finger break. I don't think it looks natural though, again, I try using misdirection, during the patter. I'm guessing it will just come to me one day after endless practice!! Any ideas please!
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Man...I'm a little weak on that myself. I 'm sure you will get a little advice here, but you will get more posts telling you what book or DVD to get. Which isn't what you asked. So, in the interest of being helpful, I'll give my advice for whatever it's worth.
What I do...and it's not that great...is that I just fan the cards a little while I'm speaking. Very casually, so that it just looks like I'm flourishing the cards, and when I square the deck, I get my P**** B****. It's not that strong...but if you remember that your average spec doesn't know what to look for, it works. I will say that I've never been busted getting my P**** B****. So it works. I HAVE gotten busted for a sloppy turn-over. So, if you have a good turn-over, this method WILL work for you while you perfect a better method.
Good Luck! Hope that helps a little.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Look at the card section further down - The Workers !
There is a section just on the DL at the top.
hmanone
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of hmanone
Tnscot...thanks for the suggestion. I will try that since I do have a good turnovoer. Eddie, I found the section on DL's...there are a ton of threads to go thru, so hopefully I should pick up some good tips!
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Some things and the dl is one, is that only after performance experience will it really improve the way you want. when I first started out that was a big problem
I had.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Hi hmanone,

You said:
Quote:
.....riffling the deck, from the back with my thumb, stopping at the top two cards and then use a finger break. I don't think it looks natural though.

When my wife turns over the top card of a deck she does the way you describe but without the riffle.
For her it's natural.
I have to tell you that if you ask several laypeople to turn over the top card of a deck that you will get a variety of ways it's done.

Daly, Liepzig, Allerton, etc, etc, all did DLs that were comfortable for them.
When they did thier DLs it looked as if they did it like this all the time and it looked natural because there was that comfort factor.
hmanone
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of hmanone
Josh--Your right, I have to just do the performance and go from there...of course I worry that it will not go smooth, but I suppose I have to get over that fear. Jaz, thanks for your input...funny I was just asking my wife (who is not into doing magic) to perform the trick with the patter and all, without the DL, just to get an idea of how a person turns over the card, handles the deck, etc.
Matías A. Molina
View Profile
New user
Argentina
21 Posts

Profile of Matías A. Molina
I usually make a little fan with the cards and make a break with my little finger too, but now I'm trying to move two cards with my left thumb and take both cards with my other hand, in the same movement. I think it will look more natural.
Good luck.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I have about ten months of card magic experience now and I have to say that I am sort of close to becoming the DL champion of the world. Smile

Ok, perhaps not quite, but remembering my own old posts where I was SO frustrated that I actually at one point claimed that one proven methods couldn't possibly work even if the guy had a video, I have certainly improved.

What did it was time. Not knowing which one to practice, actually hating them all, I have done a fair amount of practice on a LOT of different ones. And what I have so far settled on is a mix of a couple of them, based on what I think is the more natural looking way, combined with what is reliable. It was something that my hands decided upon as much as my brain.

A lot of people do a simple DL which is intended to be temporary so that they can begin performing as soon as possible and then improve their technical skills with time. This is NOT something I feel comfortable with. I think a lot of people with poor DLs simply gave up too soon or settled into their safe habits. Better to wait in that case I think.

If you already know many different moves in theory but cannot fully grasp what makes one better than the other, the pros and cons of different handlings will make more sense eventually. But it's subjective. There are tons of DLs because there are a kazillion different magicians who all have different hands and body language. Not because there is one single technique out there better than all the rest.

Give yourself the time you need!

P.S. This post will be followed by a PM.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Very encouraging, Noobini.

///ark
MDew
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
125 Posts

Profile of MDew
Hmanone, you are right when you said that after endless amounts of practise, you will find your 'knack', your own 'comfort' in handling a DL.

I might also add that to make your DL more deceptive, once you have settled on one or two DLs, then do those same moves for a single lift. Much better that way than going the other way around, where you try to fix your DL based on your single lift.
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Quote:
On 2007-07-14 07:54, MDew wrote:
I might also add that to make your DL more deceptive, once you have settled on one or two DLs, then do those same moves for a single lift. Much better that way than going the other way around, where you try to fix your DL based on your single lift.

Excellent advice.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
Practice Practice Practice,

One of my students gets very frustrated with DL's as they are in many effects. It's weird how you can practice and one day it just clicks for you!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Go for the hit dl,then you don't need any breaks at all.The muscles in your fingertips will remember how it feels,when you do a dl.A slight bevel of the cards helps too.
I use this technique 90% of the time and I got used to do my normal lifts in the same way so it looks natural.
Maybe the tape of Greg Wilson "Double Take" could help you a bit to find the perfect dl for you.Its allways good to read and learn from books,but sometimes you need a visual aid aswell.

greetings Jerry
MDew
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
125 Posts

Profile of MDew
Cosmicsecret, is the 'hit dl' you refer to also known as the strike dl?

From the descriptions, I also use the 'hit dl' when I don't have a pinky break already set-up (from a previous action with the cards), or I want to do a DL off-the-bat at moment's notice.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I always go for a "push off/stirke" combo.
If I have the slightest bit of trouble, I change to a pinky break.

I practiced the stirke method MANY HUNDREDS of times before I got it smooth.
It's nice to be able to DL without a break. Life is good.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Quote:
On 2007-07-19 08:57, MDew wrote:
Cosmicsecret, is the 'hit dl' you refer to also known as the strike dl?

From the descriptions, I also use the 'hit dl' when I don't have a pinky break already set-up (from a previous action with the cards), or I want to do a DL off-the-bat at moment's notice.

Yes,strike dl could be the right name.I wasnt sure if its called strike or hit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Double Lift Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL