The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Slicer vs. Cutting Edge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
You don't like the grunting?? Yes, it is a bit much to say the least!

I took a closer look at the Labero prop and it looks like Mendoza's work. There are a couple of key bits of construction that match up with the real deal.

As far as the gimmicks on the prop go, they all are made the same. The pieces can be updates or replaced as they wear out or become discolored. I've worked very hard on this element of the prop and it really makes a difference. Let's cut Franz some slack here .. this is his baby and I'm sure he wouldn't let the attention to detail slide.

Steve
Erich Troudt
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Erich Troudt
Labero's prop looks a lot like Steve Wyricks prop.

I just don't like the "arch" style or curved piece that's over-built on the base. It looks cool, but it causes your eye to go there...which kind of defeats the purpose. Its almost as big as the box itself.

The beauty of the original design is that visually there is no where else she could be other than in the box.

I was there on opening night in AC, and believe me, whether or not the hand and the foot operated was low on the priority list at the time. Due to a variety of reasons, the show had about half the normal time is usually does to load-in, tech and rehearse.

I filled in for franz at the Trop last week while he was in Japan, and the foot and hand worked all 5 shows I performed in. I'll be there again the July 20th-26th.

Erich
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Erich .. you're killing me, you get to play Franz for a week.

It must be a dream come true ...

Steve
Erich Troudt
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Erich Troudt
Its like any other job....ups and downs. I don't "play" current Franz, which is more laid back and casual, I "play" vintage 99 Franz, with the power, "now" and "do it". that's how I learned originally and stuck with it. It was easier to fill in for him back in the day when our styles were similar, but its tougher now.

This is the 4th time I have filled in for him. AC currently, Malaysia in 99, Korea in 2005, and we had a show in 2003 that combined some of his illusions with mine at Six Flags.

This Trop show is the biggest so far. Frickin stage is huge. Malaysia was a big show too, but this show is mammoth. Because the stage is so big he brought out all the huge illusions to fill it up.

It is cool doing some of his illusions like the car appearance, Houdini box, burned alive and water tank.

Dude, what is it like 15 hours away for you...jump in the car and go see the show man. You'll love it.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Erich, I saw Franz Harary the last time he was in A.C. probably about 10 years ago. It was one of the best Illusion shows I ever saw.

Franz, did allude to tech problems throughout the show because it was opening night. Overall, I don't think the show was very good...I'm sure because of the reasons you mentioned.

As far as the slicer Illusion...I wasn't aware that Harary's presentation would have normally had all appendages moving. Does every version do this and he just had technical problems, or are there different versions (authorized)where all appendages don't move.

Good luck with the show.

Rich B.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Everything should be moving in an authorized model, otherwise it's just a rip-off.

Steve
nnickerson
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of nnickerson
The grunting was a bit much!

HaHa

Anyways, I used to work for Bart Rockett. He owns or did own a slicer. We never did have problems with the gimmicks. But we did have some problems when rotating it. If you pushed too far towards the ends when extended the boxes would get jammed. One night our lead assistant actually got trapped inside for quite awhile.

He originally purchased it from David Copperfield. Either it was treated delicately or it was abused on the road.

Nate
nnickerson.com
nate@nnickerson.com
myspace.com/magicnate
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
I own a slicer for about 2 yrs. now. Not a single problem, people love it, they are blown away and the hand and feet looks very real. The prop have never jammed. I am VERY happy.

Steve Zigmont from Florida told that Copperfield's model was an early one and that all the "bugs" weren't worked out yet. You can sort of tell because the big circle in the middle of the prop instead of the half circles later on on other props.
Besides I didn't know david sells his stuff I always beleve they were stored in the "Copperdome"

Thanks,
Reynold
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Bart Rockett .. tell us a little bit about that show, I have an old brochure around here somewhere.

As far as I know, David doesn't sell off any of his equipment. Some pieces have been traded in the past, but that's a different situation. The Slicer that Bart had in photos was a newer model with the half circle. David had one of the very first models. There are still only a handful of the Mendoza/Magi-Craft Slicers illusions out there.

Steve
nnickerson
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of nnickerson
Well....

It's a long story. I worked with him for a summer running lights and sound, moving props, on stage assistant, and a demonstrator for his magic shop. Then he was forced to move after Hurricane Katrina. He is apparently performing in Branson now. He was recently in The Linking Ring magazine I believe. He always told the audiences and everyone he knew that he bought it from Copperfield for 25,000 dollars. I own Copperfield's dvd. He performed the Slicer in his Niagra Falls special. The prop on the special matches the prop I was around exactly. I have a poster of his and it's featured on the front. But Bart also always said there was only three Slicers in the world. So you couldn't really trust what he said half the time.

He really was a good performer but he wasn't the nicest guy. He had a magic shop at his theater that I worked in before and after the shows. I almost felt bad about it. He sold tricks that are worth maybe 7 bucks for over 20! It was rediculous. There were a few times that he lied to me about some of the projects he had coming up. When Hurricane Katrina came along he packed up and left and I was out a job.

Nate
nnickerson.com
nate@nnickerson.com
myspace.com/magicnate
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
Nate,

Sorry to hear that. I saw his article on the Linking Ring. I don't see how can you give that presentation to Slicer. "My next illusion is very special, I bought from David copperfild for $25,000 hope you like."

Thanks,
Reynold
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
Guys who own cutting edge: Have you had angle problems from the first rows looking up at the top boxes because they don't have a bottom?

Thanks,
Reynold
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Nate .. interesting story, you'll find in magic that many magician are just plain liars. It's very sad but you get use to it after a while. I myself, am a terrible liar. I tell it like it is .. or don't say anything at all.

Now back to the Slicer .. I've got Bart's brochure in my very hands. This is not Copperfield's Slicer. Yes, the figure is identical but the circle on the pedestal is a half circle. This was featured on later versions of this illusion. I believe there are actually around fifteen of the Mendoza/Magi-Craft Slicers out there. When this illusion was available, it sold for over $20,000.00 plus cases of course.

That should clear things up about the Rocket/Copperfield Slicer mystery ...

Steve
nnickerson
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of nnickerson
Wow...

I thought for sure it was the same prop. I wonder if he had the prop made to look like that so he would be able to claim that. I don't know what the standard slicer looks like. Every version I've seen looks different.

He didn't just announce it on stage. He talked about how when he was a kid he always loved David Copperfield. When he was young he saw his show and the Slicer was in it. He fell in love with the illusion and promised himself if he ever made it successful that he would buy one. His grandma said she would buy him one. They asked him after the show how much it was and he said it was 25,000 dollars. She said maybe when you're older (in a joking manner). He ended up becoming successful and decided to buy it from him. Just thought I'd clear that up.

But he always claimed it was Copperfield's prop. One other thing.

I was on magicauction.com one time just looking around. I noticed there was a slicer for sale. It was the exact same as the one I worked with. I figured it was just a coincidence. But as I scrolled down there was about four or five other illusions from his show on there aswell. I absolutely know it was his %100. He was selling it for around 20,000. Then a few weeks later his article came out in Linking Ring. Well the show advertised included all of the illusions that he had for sale. So I don't know what the heck he is up to anyways.

Nate
nnickerson.com
nate@nnickerson.com
myspace.com/magicnate
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
Nate,
Thanks for the insight.

Reynold
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
Guys who own cutting edge (Howard T) Have you had angle problems from the first rows looking up at the top boxes because they don't have a bottom?

Thanks,
Reynold
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Reynold...Cutting Edge is the best "cutting/slicing" on the market. I had a chance to see it up close and personel at the WMS(Bill Smiths booth)... Dozens of well known performers were checking it out; many have already included it in their show. Although I will not discuss methods on an open forum, I can tell you that I was left speechless after watching it be performed from about 10 feet away. Two thumbs up!!!
Best Wishes,
James
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
I was there a the convention too. and I know the method, I am a very good client from bill. I just wonder if people on the front rows are able to see that the boxes has no bottom.

Regarding is the best cutting: debatable I own a slicer and is very strong to the audience.

thanks,
Reynold
HowardT
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of HowardT
Absolutely No, angle problems at all There is nothing to see, plus there are interior moving parts, " flaps" to prevent veiwing where / when necessary.

On the slicer you have to have twice as many blades to because typicaly the prop is revolved.
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Since HowardT already mentioned the "flaps"....You can understand why you do not have to worry about "angle problems". I agree that it is debatable which illusion is better. My conclusion that Cutting Edge is the best Cutting/Slicer illusion on the market was reached by my comparison of audience reaction, method, illusion foot print, and price.
Best Wishes,
James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Slicer vs. Cutting Edge (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL