The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Slicer vs. Cutting Edge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
James: regarding practicability, space, weight and pricing Cutting Edge wins.

On Effect to the audience: I think slicer has some bonus points. two hands and one feet are visibible, all the blade come in at once, it looks awsome and impresive and the tilting of the prop from vertical to horizontal gives it a certain animation to it. and when that thing opens it takes the whole stage, talk about playing big!!!

But again is a matter of opinion.
Good luck,
Reynold
jkesler
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of jkesler
Reynold,
Your points are well said...I agree, Slicer does play big and recieves a great audience reaction...However I still vote for Cutting Edge. Thanks for a great discussion.
Best Wishes,
James
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Cutting edge is also available with a hand hole, so there is a moving hand visible when the assistant is cut.
Sent from my Typewriter
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
Mvmagic: yes, but I think is obvious to the audience where she is by having just one hand on only one side when the prop slits. unless you got one real and one fake like slicer.

Thanks,
Reynold
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I think both are nice illusions. The real answer always comes down to which is the least likely to be figured out. We all know the audience will stare the prop down and try to figure out where she went. ( we all did that when we were laymen didn't we? ) Knowing the audience is looking the prop over to find a hiding spot.. I'd have to say Cutting Edge is much less likely to offer up any clues as to concealment.

Best,

Tim
HowardT
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of HowardT
[quote]On 2007-07-23 10:14, reynold wrote:
Mvmagic: yes, but I think is obvious to the audience where she is by having just one hand on only one side when the prop slits. unless you got one real and one fake like slicer.

Thanks,
Reynold

Reynold: Forgive me but you are incorrect regarding the hand on the one side that tells the audience where she is. If you look closely you will see that the "hand" is in the 3rd box.. pulling all attentiion UP and far away from where she is. (this is not by accident) The "hand" is located in the section that gets pulled away towards stage right.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
Howard: Well, for the audience point of view she is on the side where the hand is, regardless in what box she really is. Now, if you had "hands" on both sides when you split is a different story. Is this possible?

Reynold
HowardT
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of HowardT
Yea, that is possible Reynold.. good idea.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
Howard:
Are the "hands" moving like slicer or a traditional "seance cloth" hand?
Reynold
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
The current hand is moving naturally. When I worked with the prop last year I did suggest another moving hand but whether Dan has had time to think about it, I don't know.
Sent from my Typewriter
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
I know who makes the Cutting Edge, but is there anywhere to purchase the Harary effect (I've heard "Slicer" and I've heard, "Cutting in Nines")?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
493 Posts

Profile of reynold
Christian: Slicer and Cutting in nines are the same effect. And I don't believe mendoza is making slicer anymore. And I don't think anybody has the rights to make it either.

Reynold
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
I think EDF also makes them...
estone
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of estone
They Do.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Something caught my eye here .. and I took a little look at edfmagic.com. If you take a closer look at the photos page .. there are a few illusions that I would question, like the Slicer. Are they officially building this prop now?? This would be news to me .. and a few others.

Of course, I will find out what the deal is, just wanted to know if anyone else knows what's up with all this.

Steve
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
It also appeared like there might have been an Interlude in the background of one of the photos.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Very observant .. it's just behind the table normally used in a "Head Off" illusion. How else would you use a table like that .. unless of course you had the illusion that Andre Kole invented and protects??

Makes ya kinda wonder .. doesn't it??

Steve
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Quote:
On 2007-10-12 14:13, Chezaday wrote:
Very observant .. it's just behind the table normally used in a "Head Off" illusion. How else would you use a table like that .. unless of course you had the illusion that Andre Kole invented and protects??

Makes ya kinda wonder .. doesn't it??

Steve

I wondered about the 'Head Off' prop also.

It would be good to know if they have the rights and permissions to build these props before purchasing from them.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
They are good guy's so I can't imagine they would sell something without permission !
Why don't you ask them if you have any questions... ?
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
About the only thing I can figure is that, since they used to work for John Gaughan, they have worked out arrangements to either build these props for John so that he can continue to offer them to clients, or they have secured rights. I don't want to email or call them or John just to ask.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Slicer vs. Cutting Edge (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL