The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Slicer vs. Cutting Edge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Anyone out there familiar with Slicer and Cutting Edge illusions? From personal experience, what are pros and cons?
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Are you thinking of performing them or something?
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
I own a slicer but is a bit bulky I would like to know comparing it with cutting edge.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
You can see the latest Cutting Edge here http://www.danielsummers.com/cuttingedge.html I like this prop because of its lack of a base, its sleek look and its lack of thick compartments. The new cool handles don't hurt either.

Best,

Tim
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Given a choice between the two, I'd go for the Cutting Edge.

Slicer will certainly fill up a stage, but it seems like the potential for one or more sections to jam up during performance would be a bit unnerving.

The Cutting Edge hasn't had quite the exposure that Slicer has had either.

My 2¢

Chris
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
I agree Ive seen cutting edge performed and it seems you have less to worry about .. like jamming parts.. but Ive never worked with either.. anyone here ever work with one?
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
I have worked with the caterpillar- Janet box in the past

it does have it's fair share of problems...like most illusion do
really up to the magician if they want to deal with the issues or not

boxes do jam up
blades don't want to go in tapping on the end box usually fixes that
I have seen (no names) someone who could not get the blades in and run out of music and shoved the prop into the wings.

it is a large prop

all the doors never stayed shut...even with the locks...they pop open

takes allot of time to insert all the blades..close the doors,remove the blades (there is the blade bar) heavy and need 2 assistants to lift and carry off.

too me the illusion is not that deceptive...from the persecutive of most illusions with allot of blades....you can pretty much take a guess where the girl can be by the placement of the blades

always had problems with the gaff

never liked the way the girl gets in and out of the prop

since the boxes are made out of wood over time putting the blades in and out really takes a beating.

never worked with the other illusion in question. Have seen it a couple of times... I wanted to go to sleep.
not my cup of tea
but to each their own

hope this helps you in some way
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Dear Reynold & magicfreak nv,

Do you have a slicer build by Mendoza or by another builder ?
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
Was Mendoza built
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
The Slicer by far, is a bigger, better illusion than anything out there. I still have it burned in my memory when Franz performed it at Abbott's back in 1988. There was nothing like it out there .. it blew me and everyone else away!

Sure, it's got some potential problems .. but you're talking about a very complex illusion. Mendoza's workmanship is amazing, it's a work of art .. really.

This still is my very favorite illusion .. nothing else comes close.

Steve
HowardT
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of HowardT
The opening post did say "from personal experience". I have purchased and used both. The Mendoza prop is an excellent piece of equipment and I was happy with it untill The Cutting Edge came along. The cutting edge for me at least is by far more practical to use for me and my assistant. We can use it vertually anywhere... With the Janet Box we HAD to have a wide and deep stage. In my opinion.. the cutting edge looks imposible.. there is simply nowhere for the girl to be... I have both and I prefer the cutting edge...Bill Smith has a unit that doesn't use blades that sounds pretty kewl.
Adam Milestone
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Adam Milestone
I've never been fooled by Slicer and neither has most of the laymen I know who saw it; it's the one DC illusion they can actually figure out. cutting edge boggles their minds though and even if you know how it works it still fools the eye if not the mind. CE looks like there is no where for her to go; very deceptive use of a common principle.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-07-15 16:39, Adam Milestone wrote:
I've never been fooled by Slicer and neither has most of the laymen I know who saw it; it's the one DC illusion they can actually figure out. cutting edge boggles their minds though and even if you know how it works it still fools the eye if not the mind. CE looks like there is no where for her to go; very deceptive use of a common principle.

Hello Adam,

Having seen one up close and without exposing anything I can tell you that the method you are thinking of is not very relevant to the secret of this illusion. A unique gimmick is employed to make cutting edge so deceptive.

Best,

Tim
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
Rafael, mine is mendoza built and I am VERY happy with it.

In my opinion the method is very deceptive and people gasp when girl is cut. Plus you see her hand and feet moving; a real plus. Also when those blades enter at once it looks very impresive. And the fact the box tilts gives a certain animation to the prop that just looks cool. But again is not for everybody, I have my own show at a hotel in Puerto Rico and I have good fascilities over there. If you are thinking of using it for corporate gigs in ballrooms and stage risers forget about it. I just wanted your opinion with cutting edge.
Thanks
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Reynold, I love the slicer but I have sat in the audience when Franz Harary did it and I could hear people talking about the f*** H*** and talking about where is could be. I wanted it for a long time until I seen Daniel Summers CE and now I want that! LOL I still think its a great prop (slicer) but I would go for Cutting Edge just so I wont have to worry about space issues of a stage.
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
Quote:
On 2007-07-15 20:01, Lusion wrote:
Reynold, I love the slicer but I have sat in the audience when Franz Harary did it and I could hear people talking about the f*** H*** and talking about where is could be. I wanted it for a long time until I seen Daniel Summers CE and now I want that! LOL I still think its a great prop (slicer) but I would go for Cutting Edge just so I wont have to worry about space issues of a stage.

I agree with you MR. Lusion lol
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
David and Lusion: if we have space issues definetly go with cutting edge, but evaluating the effect I thing there is much more to debate. Mi Slicer is obviously used, when I got it the latex of the F**** h*** was bad so I replaced it with great quality and don't have a problem (you may consider gloves). I think with cutting edge also people will be talking about possible places for the girl. But the question is are they right guesses with slicer? I think the jarret pedestal has been a proven deception through out the years.

Thanks
HowardT
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of HowardT
Quote:
On 2007-07-16 01:02, reynold wrote:
I think the jarret pedestal has been a proven deception through out the years.

Thanks

Yes, the "Jarrret Pedestal" is an incredible device given the right application. The "JP" was design for the girl to go south. It expanded like a snake swallowing it's prey. It needed correct lighting and timeing to be deceptive. This is not an like a "JP" since it remains in full thickness at all times.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Lusion, I'm primarily a close up guy with some knowledge of illusion principles. I went to see Franz Harary on opening night a few weeks ago in Atlantic City N.J. The slicer illusion was horrible. He emphasized the fake mention above, by tickling her real hand in the center. It is very difficult to enjoy the show when you hear lay people describing the method out loud all around you...for other illusions as well...and they were right for the most part. Another big problem was the foot showing through was wearing panty hose, and when the women emerged from the illusion, her panty hose were flapping over her feet (she may have found the stage too slippery and made this adjustment). Unfortunately, I don't think Franz was looking for the additional "panty hose foot penetration illusion" during this effect.

This version by Joe Labero on you tube is excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-xD0Bj1txw
All visible appendages move during the illusion. To me, if you don't do it this way, the method is very transparent. The fakes in Harary's slicer was noticeably stiff as a board.

Rich B.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Thanks for the review of Franz' show. It is depressing to hear that many of the illusions were not well received by the audience.

Joe Labero's illusion is very well made. Although the constant grunting is a bit
distracting.

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Slicer vs. Cutting Edge (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL