The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Vanishing Candle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Hi all

I read through old posts and what I'm looking for may be there but I can't find it. I just got a vanishing candle. I'd never had one and have no reason for it other than as a piece for my collection. Anyway the instructions say to grab the candle by the aluminum part that has the burning wick in it when you vanish it. I tried this and burned my finger. Is this actually what I'm supposed to be doing?

Thanks
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
You might try to wrap it with some first aid (cloth) tape. That might help you from burning your fingers.

Mark.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
You're supposed to blow out the candle before you vanish the candle that way.

Just a thought!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Makes sense to blow it out... But it's supposed to be a vanishing lit candle. I'm playing with a flash paper toss at the right time and a one hand vanish. Seems to be working well.

Thanks
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
No, vanish it into the hand that is holding it..Howard
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
There are basically two ways you can vanish the candle - upwards or downwards.

Upwards is the method you are using now. Try to grip the plastic part more during the vanish and the slight upwards movement with the hand holding the candle would extinguish the fire.

The downwards method require you to release the pressure with the hands holding it.

Sorry I cannot explain more as this section is the public forum. Perhaps you can go to the secret session part of this forum and better explanation can be provided.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
James is right on the money with this one. There are indeed 2 main methods for vanishing a vanishing Fantasio candle. As james discussed, there is the upward motion and the downward motion. The most commonly used method is the downward motion vanish.

In the downward motion, the candle is held in your hand and vanishes as it goes downward. (I am purposely not going into detail here as this is a public forum, please PM me for the details).

The candle is usually covered on the front and out of view for a second by the use of a silk held in the hand and held upwards concealing the candle from view for a second. The downward motion will distinguish the flame for you. Of course you can also blow the candle out before the vanish if you should like.

In the upward vanish. I usally do this when I am doing candle to silk. Ofttimes I can do the vanish as the candle is sitting inside a candle holder. What happens is the audience sees me lift the candle up by grabbing the candle holder. I then try and light it but the lighter will not work. so I glance at the audience as if saying, "oh well". As this happens the candle vanishes and I am left with a silk of the same color in my hand. It is a very nice vanish but entirely different in nature and how it is done.

If you would like details on these vanishes, please just let me know.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Check Lair DVD on candle. It is good source to play around with your candle.
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Thanks everyone

This is a wonderful toy and I'm getting quite good at the one handed (down) vanish. I bought this simply as a toy and am happy to say I may add it to my shows soon.

Thanks again
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
How about blowing it out and the second the flame goes out...it vanishes? Almost like it vanished in a puff of smoke.

Poof...gone!

Mark.
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
I usually blow it out and then "vanish" it Smile . You have to time it properly . Smile
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Yes, with proper timing it would look like you blew the candle into thin air. Looks very magical.
MrBrett
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrBrett
When you vanish it, blowing it out is definitely the most effective way for you to avoid burning your fingers, silks or streamers. You can use the action of blowing as a magical gesture ie, the moment you blow it out, its gone.
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
I really like working with candles. I feel that they are the things I can be most creative with. Check out Michael P. Lairs work. I am sure he has some good DVDs and Videos out on the market.

-john
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2007-07-15 23:51, ns wrote:
Thanks everyone

This is a wonderful toy and I'm getting quite good at the one handed (down) vanish. I bought this simply as a toy and am happy to say I may add it to my shows soon.

Thanks again

I am sorry you feel this fantastic piece of equipment is a nothing more then a toy. A real insult to Fantasio, who so kindly supples the magic society with this. I have been wowing audiences with the vanishing candle for 40 years. Yes you can grab the wick, it will go out. You don't put your fingers around the flame until you set yourself on fire, nor do you let it burn for several minutes.

Common sense tells most people these things.
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Lick your finger and then grab the candle.

Try that out.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Wmhegbli,

Please realize that I bought this as a toy, simple as that. I always wanted one and saw it as something to play with for personal amusement. Things I play with for personal amusement are toys to me.

As for "You don't put your fingers around the flame until you set yourself on fire." when is it that you set yourself on fire?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
When you let yourself get burnt by the heat of the candle.

I thought this site was for serious magicians, trying to help serious magicians solve problems.
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
Well, it's a place for serious magicians and not so serious magicians and, judging by wmhegbli's response, apparently caustic magicians as well.
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
And here I was thinking this site was for all people who enjoyed magic. Regardless I do appreciate all help - I don't try to offend but the written word often seems harsh.

Back to topic - the candle is so much fun. I've gotten 2 more and am playng with doing 3 separate vanishes at different times in the routine. However possibly this is too much of a good thing...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Vanishing Candle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL