The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Rings and Things Traditional Copper Cups » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
I am very impressed with the crafting of these cups. They are in a heavy copper and each cup weighs 220g or 7.7 ounces. As a comparison, my custom James Riser chopped set (double layer) weigh in at 400 grams per cup or 14 ounces, and my original JES squatties are 120g per cup or 4.2 ounces. The cups therefore have a decent heft to them.

The cups will take a decent sized load, a regulation tennis ball, in point of fact, and three 1 inch balls will nest between stacked cups. The top of the cup has a good broad surface with a steep enough lip so that there is no fear of one being tripped off as you lift off the top cup (thus ruining the revelation in a sequence where the balls gather between cups).

The design is of course the single ring 'traditional' cup with the summit being a 'sawed' off cone rather than the curved bullet nose of the Paul Fox style of cup. To my way of thinking, this is a more pleasing aesthetic than the 'small ordnance' appearance of the PF cups and their various imitations and inspired descendants. The turning is devoid of any rings missed or neglected in the polishing process and the mouth bead is tighter than a tick on a dog's ear where it meets the body of the cup. Great job, Jake & Co.

In regard to the design philosophy, Jake at RnT notes:

Quote:
They are a hybrid cup based on the Original Laurie Ireland cup and the Don Alan Chop cup. The Laurie Ireland cup you see today is night and day compared to the originals from the early days of Magic, Inc., the saddle on our cups comes from the Don Alan chop cup, which goes back to the 70's. We had originally started to use a P&L set, but removed it from the equation as the Ireland cup gave us something more to work with as far as moving things around an using it as a basis for the design. The reason for the Don Alan type saddle was simple, it saved me time from having to make a new dimpler to form the saddle and it was effective for the size of the cups.

The RnT Traditional Cup is an excellent, classic-design cup with first class finishing and attention to detail. I would highly recommend them to anyone who wants a professional quality cup that, once a patina has developed, will look like it stepped out of an 18th century French engraving. I admire the Sherwoods, but they would not be my preferred choice to perform with. Besides, I don't want to baby a cup...

Now I need to get a non-double layer chopped cup to go with this set, so that it rings like a bell when struck. Did I mention these cups sound great when you crack them hard on the noggin with a wand?
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Rings and Things Traditional Copper Cups » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL