The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Dai Vernon's name (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I've doing a lot of reading lately about the life of Dai Vernon, and it seems he had a very interesting and eventful life. But there is one thing I have a question about.

Around what time did Dai change his name from David to Dai? And when did he change his name from Verner to Vernon?

I'm thinking this is probably mentioned in The Vernon Chroncicles #4 (the book series, not the video series). Unfortunately, I don't own it, and I probably won't anytime soon.

If you can't give a date, you could tell me the time his name changed compared to the time other big things happened in his life. For example, did his name change before he got married, after he got married, etc.

Does anybody have an answer to my question? It would be much appreciated.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Emily,

Dai Vernon (David Frederick Wingfield Verner) was born in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada on June 11, 1894. He got the nickname of "Dai" when a typo in a newspaper gave him Dai instead of David (I will have to dig deeper to find out the time frame for that aricle). His last name "Vernon" came from the dancer, Vernon Castle, who with his wife was a dancer in the 1920's (Can't remember what time frame this is early or mid 20's when Vernon Castle was very popular). While in New York, his name Vernon was carried over since most New Yorkers could not pronounce Verner correctly.

Hope this helps.
There are some sites you can search for on on any search engine by typing in "dai vernon".

Jim Molinari
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Thanks for the response, jcards01.

I already knew how he got his names, but I am completely in the dark about when this took place.

I was planning on doing some further research about this on the Internet when I had the time. I decided to post the question here on the off chance that someone might just happen to have information on this.

Thank you for offering to look into this for me. That will be a great help.

Emily B.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Emily,

We can try and narrow it down some. As I remember, Vernon came to New York around 1913. It was in 1919 that the famous "fooled Houdini" stunt happened and at the time I believe he was already known as Dai Vernon. So the article had to have appeared pretty early in his US career.

Jim
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
There's also the issue over the pronounciation of his name; "Day" versus "Die."

The generally accepted version has it that he switched pronounciation about the time he switched from the East Coast to the West Coast at the Castle.

One person who supposedly asked Vernon "Is it Day or Die?" was told "ee-ther, or eye-ther."
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

You're right that it is possible to narrow down the time frame that this happened. I've thought about that quite a bit, and I too, thought he had his new name when the incident with Houdini occured.

Right now my main source of information about his life is the first chapter in The Dai Vernon Book of Magic. I've read it over again and again, trying to piece together the answer to this. I suppose it will just take time.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Emily B.

-Robert Montgomery
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
I read that article...interesting. But why did he speak negatively about Houdini?

That peaked my interest!

Chris
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
He changed his first name to Dai because it means 'Great' in Chinese.
[ suppose he wanted to be another fake chinese magician. ]
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
sanskara
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
59 Posts

Profile of sanskara
It's funny you mention that. I always assumed that the "Dai" in Dai Vernon referred to the Asian idiogram representing "great" as well (ie. The Great Vernon.) Is it pronounced D-i-e in Chinese too? I know it is in Japanese, but I'd be really surprised if the character was pronounced the same in both languages.

The Japanese Buddhist tradition Tendai (note last three letters) uses the same character and its name is derived from the Chinese equivalent Tientai. So I'm pretty sure that Dai pronounced as D-i-e is Japanese and not Chinese. I know, who the Hell cares, right?
Regards,
James Bostwick
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

In the end it doesn't matter because japanese is pretty much the chinese culture.
Although, when he changed his name, Cantonese was the fluent dialect. Not Mandrin [like now]. So it's where you place the accent on the name. So at least there's a time line.

www.mai-ling.net
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Ok..so anybody know why he didn't like Houdini?

chris
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Probably because houdini is a egocentric maniac. Many magicians didn't like him becuase of that. Especially when swayed from doing magic to doing stunts.

www.mai-ling.net
calgarianpimp
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of calgarianpimp
He fooled houdini with ambitious right or am I wrong
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Quote:
On 2003-02-18 23:28, Marshall Thornside wrote:
probably becuase houdini is a egocentric maniac. many magicians didn't like him becuase of that. especially when swayed from doing magic to doing stunts.

I've never met Houdini so I couldn't attest to his being a "egocentric maniac." Is that the impression he gave you when you met him?
William Holcomb
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

. . . yes it is sir.

www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Dai Vernon's name (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL