The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "The Red Carpet" by Jason Palter (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hi David:

Thank you for those kind words. I'm glad that you are getting such great use out of my trick! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you all again for your time and for your business.

Best regards,

Jason Palter
Paltergeist Unlimited / Tenyo Elite
(416) 410-5766
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
I do a comedy mime set. At the end I'm someone who would normally have had a bag on their head anyway, and when I take it off......
To be honest I got my idea whilst watching Simon Lovell in the late eighties. I'm just wondering if this is based on watching Lovell do that routine?
If so, I actually do this already. Coincidentally of course. And IF so, if you pm me I'll give away a great idea for the close.

bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4172 Posts

Profile of bobser
Happy to help all who pm'd me. Hope it helps. And no I don't believe for a second Jason got his idea from Simon Lovell. Although I did and it's very very very very funny.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I have also seen this effect on a Japanese magician's video before. The celebrities names were written on cards and a selection is made from there but the reveal is the same.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hi aussiemagic:

Thanks for looking out for my "The Red Carpet"! lol

Do you by chance have the link for that Japanese magician's video? I would love to see it!

Best regards,

Jason Palter
(416) 410-5766
sacramentohypnosis
View Profile
New user
America
78 Posts

Profile of sacramentohypnosis
I bought this secondhand from ebay (as wa sunable to find it on sale any longer in magic stores I use as they said it was sold out)

I feel the investment was worth my money for the inspiration that it gave me to create with a colleague of mine a more (in our minds at least)
believable routine and handling.

After much work and such like, our version has now been manufactured by us from scratch and the actual full routine of the effect is as follows.

A Large A4 Obviously home printed and home assembled laminated book is picked up and shown to audience.

It is explained that this is your daughters DVD colection guide, its a modern version of the book many of us kept telling us on which
Blank Video Tape we had recorded what shows and which tapes had blank space etc. (this usually gets a laugh from some of audience as they
recall having kept their own Video Book or knowing someone who did)

You show the pages of the Book freely and it can be seen that each page of the 26 pages contains Six different images of childrens
cartoon and film characters, making over 150 different images they could choose from in total.

Its explained that you play a game with your indecisive daughter to helo her choose which DVD to watch in bed at night to go to
sleep to and this involves her randomly picking a number card, then finding the page in the book that relates to that number card
and finally then randomly picking one of the six images on that page which in turn relates to one of the many DVDs in her collection, which
then becomes the one she watches that night in bed.

You also explain how this helps to teach her numbers and words (names of the characters and films etc) so is educational as well
as fun for her.

Four people are randomly picked from the audience by tossing out a small stuffed toy, a lucky mascot that your daughter gave you before
coming to the show to wish you luck.

These four people each select a number card from a childrens nursery learning numbers set (makes sense as this is what you do with your daughter or son) and hold it against their chest, the book is handed to volunteer number one who then looks at their card, discovers the random number they have chosen and then finds that corresponding page in the book.

They are then asked to confirm that there are six DIFFERENT images on the page which they do, then are instructed to remember one of the DIFFERENT choices of character they have on that page (yes they have a free choice of which character) and then told to hand the book to the second volunteer...

This procedure is repeated with volunteer two and finally number three until the fourth person is left holding the book who you tell to
keep it closed for now.

You ask the first three poeple to think of the random characters that they freely selected and to project them in their minds onto a cinema screen etc...

You then after various presentational angles reveal the names of each of the three characters that are being thought of, and one by one
in turn they confirm that you have got them correct and as the audience applauds each correct revelation the voluneers are in turn sent
back to the audience.

You then explain that perhaps its possible that your so familar with the book, tis number of pages and the six different characters on each page, that perhaps by perhiphal vision you had uncosnciouly been able to estimate which page had been opened to, and from experinece with your daughter had a good idea which was the most often picked character on that page and so just in case, you decided to make it even harder for yourself and so will attempt the next one both blindfolded and also with your back to the volunteer.

You place a bag on your head and stand with your back to the final onstage volunteer and ask him to find his freely selected page and then to remember just one of the six (and yes there are six images on each page) and to concentrate on it...

You start to reveal things which the volunteer confirms are CORRECT and relate to the character they have in mind...

However then you name the character outright and get it WRONG - YES YOU GET IT WRONG...

The volunteer is asked to name the character they were actually thinking of and then to return to the audience
as they take a round of applause leaving you centre stage with a bag over your head apparently having failed and due
to the full patter story used (not fully detailed in this post) apparently having let your daughter down greatly..

You then say a few words which are the key to this routine (which obviously not going to reveal here as me and my colleague
want to be the only people performing this in our acts) which sets things up perfectly for you to remove the bag from your head
making the reveal that your head has now turned into a prediction of the exact character that they freely choose.

Also because of the way the patter story has been designed to truly Emotionally Engage the audienece on many levels, and also
due to the use of certain music at the very end of the routine, this has become a hugely entertaining and baffling ten to 12 minutes end of show routine that Always to date without fail has resulted in a Standing Ovation (thanks not just to the trick itself, but mainly due to the psychologically engaging manner of the patter used)

In fact now I think about it what we ended up with is very, very different to "Red Carpet" but the inspiration was taken from their so many thanks to Jason Palter for having released that, which was the inspiration for this routine.

Incidentally I've posted this here to a) Say Thanks for the inspiration to Jason Palter and b) to illustrate that with a little time and thought, routines you buy can be expenaded, adapted and made original to you.

I do not give permission for anyone (at this time) to perform the routine in this manner and in this way unless they first seek
written permission from me, as I am sure you'll understand.
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
326 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
This effect has been unavailable for quite some time, but I wanted to let people know that MJM Magic is now carrying this again! If you search for "Red Carpet" on our website, you will see it come up.

Glad to see Jason put this back on the market! Definitely a worker for professional stage magicians.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11565 Posts

Profile of John C
This has always been one of my favorite effects. Requires zero focus so it is all on the presentation. Tons of room for humour and interacting with the audience and spec. And a wonderful final amazement.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hello all:

Thank you for the kind words Jeff and John. Yes it is true, I have just completed a second manufacturing run for "The Red Carpet", and it is back in stock!

You can order directly from our site, or get it from your favourite magic dealer (and if they don't have it in stock, tell 'em to contact me and I'll get them some right away! lol).

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

Jason Palter
(416) 410-5766
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Re-viving this topic, how is this effect holding on years later. Has anything change with the ever growing celebrity pool?
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
I've performed this effect a few times recently. It gets a pretty strong reaction, particularly at Superhero themed birthday parties! Smile

I play a theme song (Richard Cheese version) right after the reveal (makes me smile).
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Quote:
On May 1, 2016, paisa23 wrote:
Re-viving this topic, how is this effect holding on years later. Has anything change with the ever growing celebrity pool?

It still plays very well. I've been working it since it came out. Everyone still knows the main celebrity and will do for many years. It's a bit of a coincidence, but just before I read this post I was preparing two more celebrities to add to the drawing book for a show this week.Just add new celebrities when needed.

Chappelly
Bamboozled
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Bamboozled
Is this currently available?
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Yes...
Bamboozled
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Bamboozled
Thank You!
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I agree this is holding up very well. I use it if I get a birthday party show or something on that level. I normally have one big show in the San Diego area once a year and then very few small parties pop up. So I keep this at the ready and it does get really nice reactions.

Good magic to all,

Eric
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11565 Posts

Profile of John C
I used it twice this year. To the best applause.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hello all:

Just wanted to let you know that my "The Red Carpet" is still alive and well, and available from my site (or your local dealer) if you are interested. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your time,

Jason Palter
alan1954
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of alan1954
I've been performing Red Carpet for a couple of years now and it has never failed to deliver a tremendous audience reaction. For this reason, I usually make it the finale of my show. To try to do anything afterward would be a letdown! If you buy Jason's deluxe version, it comes with several outcomes. This is one of those effects that will fuel your imagination due to its versatility and comic potential. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Jason Palter
View Profile
V.I.P.
335 Posts

Profile of Jason Palter
Hello all:

Thank you alan1954 for your positive comments. "The Red Carpet" has been one of my bestsellers since it was released in 2007, and they are almost always in stock due to the demand. I still perform it in my shows all the time, and as you said, the reaction from the audience is always amazing. Thank you again!

Jason Palter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » "The Red Carpet" by Jason Palter (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL