The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » No props few props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Many a fella has said that The Tempest is Shakespeare’s goodbye to the theatre. I am not sure what they mean by that, does it mean goodbye to the magic of words?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have a look at the last issue of Gaiman's "The Sandman".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
How would you answer question 8.

http://www.teachit.co.uk/attachments/5382.pdf
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Following up on the Sandman reference, here is a link for those who've not yet looked it uu: http://www.enjolrasworld.com/Annotations......ions.htm

Now on to that teaching aid Tommy cited...

I'd argue that Prospero's Tempest is the climax of the actual story and the rest of the play is a sort of "clean up" or consequences.

As to "magical effects"... no idea what the writer of the question had in mind. The earth and air elementals are what they are and serve a more allegorical purpose in the same way as the island itself.

IMHO most of the questions are "leading" and not so helpful to the student.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I thought the answer might tell us what Shakespeare thought of magic effects.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

You might find that answer reading that linked source cited.

Still no comment on the implied wordplay about "props" ?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ealier I used the word props to mean any object or clothing that is used in or for an effect.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Yes tommy, and that is facile reading of the phrase. No props for that one.

Reading is not such a passive skill as sounding out words or looking for the most likely definition in an online dictionary. It's still a fundamental skill. Especially in magic.

Where words announce worlds, both the writer and the reader serve sentences adjudged by their language.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I did not look in the dictionary on line or otherwise. I was explaing what I was thinking when I used the word prop as I think props are not only what we use as you said, but a prop can be something that has no use. It can be something that is there for effect. To take the notion to an extream it could be colour in my opinion.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Without getting into a discussion of production design, I happen to agree that color can be used effectively in set design. There was a Shakespeare in the Park (Central Park NY) production of Midsummer Night's Dream using an all red set that got great reviews.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Fancy clothes and furniture or whatever I think of them as objects that can used to effect the mind without me doing anything with them or saying anthing about them. You seem to think only words and actions can give meaning to things and I do not.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I assert that meaning comes from context.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If different descriptions reflect the difference in different viewpoints on the same thing, then it‘s a matter of how you see it is the way I look at it. Smile

Tommy
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Words do mean things. I agree with you Johnathon.

I think what tommy sugests has merit as well.

I submit into evidence example 1:

The phrase "Luke, I am your father" has meaning. But add to that a death mask and an the character's established evil history and the the phrase move from meaningful to chilling. I still get goosebumps when I watch Empire Strike Back.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Unless you know about Star Wars the sentence is not particularly meaningful. Context!

Gotta admit that hearing James Earl Jones intone those words to a blond blue eyed white kid was quite amusing.

Till we can work with the frame of reference (and sharing that creates the perspective) is difficult to discuss meaning.

For example, how many folks get goosebumps reading this sentence: "Calling Sister Midnight, what can I do about my dreams?".

Not too many, but if you look up the video clip via YouTube and play the thing loud a few times you will likely have the context and the response, (anchoring for those studying)
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Oh, so now you wanna talk context do ya?

Well, context is established by several things... Here I'll go first!

Story/Script
Setting/Time Period
Characters (which includes physical appearance)

What else? Smile
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Ricky Jay used to do a full evening show using nothing but items borrowed from the audience.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
One can conjure up magic with words as Lewis Carroll did. "magic with no props" so to speak. Read The Magic of Lewis Carroll by John Fisher. Or talk to Martin Gardner who has book called The Annotated Alice. Also I have seen Lennart Green conjure up magic with a few words using logical fallacy and math. See the openers on his Lite DVD for examples.

Tommy
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Wow, what a roller coaster! Smile

Tommy, just so we can get back on track, can you be a little more explicit about this article you read about magic with no props? What was the gist of the article? What did the author mean by "props?"
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I'm not referring to any articles but books George.

The Magic of Lewis Carroll by Fisher in particular, a snip from the introduction: “As early as 1850 Carroll, realising even then that pen can be more potent than the wand in conjuring up the impossible, had practising how to convey in narrative form the special aura of a successful magical performance with its own individual blend of mystery, suspense and tongue in check humour.”

And Lennart’s humorous opener and the only non card routine on the Lite DVD. The routine sets the scene for the card tricks as it opens by talking about mathematics, probability and statistics such as: if there are ten people in a room and 12 of them leave, then do two of them have to return before the room is empty!

Green does not deck it out with such interesting characters so much as Carroll did but roughly he does the same thing.

That should give the gist of what I mean. I think Martin Gardener is something of an expert on this sort of thing. I am not sure if he is a member here but I think he is at Genii. The introduction which is about a dozen pages long in the Fisher book explanation the concepts better than I can.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » No props few props (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL