The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Markers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

musicgutbucket
View Profile
New user
South east UK
44 Posts

Profile of musicgutbucket
Hi guys,
what markers does everyone else use? I've heard that Sharpies are the best, but seen other guys using different ones. Like Mark Byrne, I don't think he uses Sharpies. What other ones are good? I understand Sharpies are good as they dry quickly. For the bigger things like eyes the stripes on the trunk of an elephants hat. Also white ones.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I use sharpies

they just brought out a retractable one (which is great) but for less nice places I have a keyring on a chain of small ones with key ring attachments so I cant loose them!

don't know about white though.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
I use markers and marking sticks. I'll explain.

Currently I use MarksALot retractable markers; Black, red, green and blue. Chisel point
http://www.officemax.com/max/solutions/p......36907931

the other thing I use is a meanstreak by sanford
http://www.durablesupply.com/sanmeanstrea.html

the mean steak comes in White, Yellow, Black and Red. it makes a a very wide bold stroke. it is similar to working with a china marker as it is not ink but a creamy paste that dries within less than a minute. Once dry you can mark over it with a magic marker.

A great advantage I like is the ability to twirl the marker to make circles and dots. There is a hole in the center of the stick like a roll on deodorant. By using a a paddle-like twist it creates easy small circles.

Most of the marking techniques I use can be seen on both my DVDs Bad to the Balloon #1 & #2 Available through me!! PM me if interested.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
I think the retractable Sharpie's are the best to use so that you can do it all with one hand and no capping is needed... Also, if you can attach them to a reel or elastic so that they shoot back to you after drawing, that would be nice. =]

-Vinnie
musicgutbucket
View Profile
New user
South east UK
44 Posts

Thanks for the info, it's great to get what other people use. Thanks Mark, I allready have both your DVD's, brilliant, the kids really like your hats I hear wow, your amazing..........well what can I say Smile

I must say I use the retractable Sharpie, it's just I saw BTTB use others.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Mark (or anybody) do you find the solvents which are naturally in paint will make the balloon more readily "poppable"?

Steve
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
I find crap in your marker will pop a balloon more readily than the chemicals in it. Wipe off dirty markers well if you drop it. Anything citrus based will pop a balloon. In fact Royal Sorrell is the one who told me citrus spray is how they pop balloons on big jobs.

The paint markers with press to use tips don't work well either. The Meanstreaks are available at OfficeDepot and officeMAx pick one up and try it.

Not much luck with metallic either...
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Lochlan
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Lochlan
I personally use sharpies but some twisters like dry erase markers. The dry erase markers dry just as fast and don't wipe off. They are available in the same colors. Most importantly, when the balloon deflates/pops the ink is still dry. With a sharpie if the balloon pops days later, the ink is wet again and can mark stuff unexpectedly.
musicgutbucket
View Profile
New user
South east UK
44 Posts

Wow thanks Lochlan. I didn't know that. So all this stuff about Sharpies being the best, is not strictly true ~:-)
Lochlan
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Lochlan
Like I said I still use sharpies because I also use them for magic.
musicgutbucket
View Profile
New user
South east UK
44 Posts

Same here. I just might try dry erase though. I can see the benefits though.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I've heard from a lot of twisters that they only use dry erase markers. As mentioned, they "dry" and that's that. Sharpies will become wet again when a balloon pops and could (potentially) ruin cloths or fabrics.

Mark.
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Quote:
On 2007-07-19 11:54, mrunge wrote:
I've heard from a lot of twisters that they only use dry erase markers. As mentioned, they "dry" and that's that. Sharpies will become wet again when a balloon pops and could (potentially) ruin cloths or fabrics.

Mark.

You know, I never knew that!

I always thought that dry erase markers would ERASE if someone rubbed it if it was on a balloon! Smile

Learn something new every day. =]
-Vinnie
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
They erase from a non absorbant surface - eg a dry wipe board
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
For all sharpie users blow up a balloon, draw on it, deflate it, and grab where you drew. Now imagine a kid getting it on their hands around their uptight mother, or worse it getting on furniture...and they know the source. I switched to the dry erase pens because of the sharpie liquification problem. I will say that when I spoke with a guy considered one of the major balloon types he never heard of the sharpie ink issue and was really surprised when he tested it.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On 2007-07-20 14:54, MagicSanta wrote:
For all sharpie users blow up a balloon, draw on it, deflate it, and grab where you drew. Now imagine a kid getting it on their hands around their uptight mother,

I thought that was the reason that you used a sharpie. Live and learn.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Now you know...you've been warned!

Don't let a parent start yelling at you for something you can definitely control.

Mark. Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It really is the darnest thing about those sharpies, which are great pens. I asked a Sharpie rep (at an office supply trade show) about it and they said it wouldn't happen and when I showed them they were shocked and had no clue that it would liquify. I had a kid get it all over them once but the parents just shrugged it off and said better the kid than a wall.
musicgutbucket
View Profile
New user
South east UK
44 Posts

Wow this forum is amazing isn't it. Were else would you get such a wealth of knowledge. I don't think the majority would have known this about Sharpies............even the reps Smile

I tried a dry wipe on a balloon......it was much better, it dried very quickly and no messing (as above) I'm certainly making the shift.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Markers? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL