The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practice in front of a mirror... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gillesA4
View Profile
Special user
Brussels, Belgium
504 Posts

Profile of gillesA4
We've all been told to practice in front of a mirror; I realized a couple of days ago something that's probably obvious to all of you; hence my question: how do you place your mirror when working sitting at your table?
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. (A. Einstein)
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
It is recommended to have a three-way mirror. That way you can view yourself from the front, left and right side. And it will balance well right in front of you on the table.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I have mirrors ALL OVER. Mainly because I'm a LEO...lol

but seriously; I have full length mirrors placed so I can see myself at EVERY angle. I also use my video camera and set it up in all those same locations as the mirrors. This way I can actually see what the audience sees. I set up few rows of chairs and then place the camera in some of them to give me a sitting perspective. After I am happy with everything then I will do the effect in public. That’s why I NEVER flash!…Ever…LOL!
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
I have a mirror and a finance! She is my ultimate mirror and tells me if I flash something! It's like mirror mirror on the wall!
Peace
J
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I use the three mirrors positioned as James states above, but I also use a video camera. I discovered that it is very easy to blink deliberately or deceive yourself into not watching when you do a move. The camera won't blink. I practice until I think I have it smooth and down well in front of a mirror, then check it with the camera. I also move the camera to different angles to make sure of my angles. I have been surprised a time or two on angles when the camera was able to see a move in a position I presumed was protected.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Yes, the camera is the magician's second best friend. It can show you images you don't like to see. But it is telling the truth and that hurts. That is why we deceive ourself by blinking in front of the mirror during the execution of a technique.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
A small 3-way mirror is definitely the way to go. A video camera is also a very valuable tool.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Like James. Three foot square panels, taped together with duct tape is what I use for table practice.

I also have a nearly full length mirror that pivots backwards and forward.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I don't like glass mirrors. I've dropped my closeup mirror out of my second-floor window twice now. My mirror is plastic (or something). I rotated the middle section ninety degrees to make it taller.

The other night, I tried videoing from behind my shoulder, aimed at the closeup mirror in front. I was hoping to get a number of different views for the price of one. But each view was smaller than just shooting from in front, so I went back to that.

///ark
Justin Impossible
View Profile
Veteran user
Distant Land Of Shmooo
328 Posts

Profile of Justin Impossible
Mirror Mirror on the Wall who is the fairest magician of them all?

I saw that.

Stupid Mirror!
Justin Impossible
www.justinimpossible.com
www.facebook.com/magicianjustinimpossible

A pretty assistant is the most effective form of misdirection.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
You can NEVER have too many mirrors!

Big, small, wide, narrow.

On the floor, on a chair, table top, leaning against the wall.

If you ain't using all your mirrors, then you ain't covering all your angles. And if you ain't covering all your angles, then they will see the glare.

What glare?

The glare from the FLASH!

Know what I'm sayin'?

I get GREAT mirrors from clothing stores closing. Or go to a local Good Will or Salvation Army. You can get full-length mirrors. Only one problem: Getting them home in one piece. Be careful!
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
I would say practicing in front of a mirror is essential to magical success. Too many times magicians who don't use one have to ask one of their family members: Hey how does this look? Eventually, or inevetibly they say it looks good because they don't want to hurt your feelings. When they finally perform it for someone and it bombs, the magician is left with; that was a bad trick or some thing other than it didn't involve proper practice. The only thing in my mind better than a mirror is a Camera. As others have stated here...the camera doesn't lie, and it can't be misdirected. To be fore warned is to be fore armed. I just have to know if I look silly or what have you.
RabbitInDaHat
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of RabbitInDaHat
To add to all of this, performing in front of a mirror adds a new dimension to the effect. I can do quite a few colour changes, but they all look so obvious from my perspective. Doing them in front of a mirror adds SO MUCH to the effect. Not only is it a great way to practice, it revives the effect.

I am in the process of creating a 4 way mirror:
with left and right tilted mirrors (roughly 45 degrees or more, adjustable)
one mirror directly in front
and one mirror attached to the front one but tilting down, so that I can simulate an overhead view.

I am going to use 6x12" for the |one, and the rest will be 12x12" squares.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Sounds pretty nifty Rabbitindahat.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Can we view your 4-way mirror, when its done?
RabbitInDaHat
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of RabbitInDaHat
Can't guarantee when that will be but sure Smile

just need to know how to upload photos onto here.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Click on the bbcode link below for instruction. It is quite simple.
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Sometimes that isn't easy since we have to look at your hands when doing some moves ,I use a video camera also so I can see it later when doing a hard routine that requires total attention on the hands,I know seeing this is key to not flashing your gimick or coins ,many I seen in person flashes a coin or part of the trick you shouldnt see.I have a good observation on seeing detail in anny thing so I can pick up on this.My boss & old co worker are amaized the things I see on a mower,or anny peice of equipment that is not right that needs repaired.
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Quote:
On 2007-07-20 14:21, RabbitInDaHat wrote:
Can't guarantee when that will be but sure Smile

just need to know how to upload photos onto here.
The photos have to be a size that is hard to come up with, & be small in KB. The easy thing to do is put a link to the Pictures in your site like I did here with this Huge rabbit pic I took at the 4H fair last week,still looking for a tophat big enough for him LOL
http://www.flickr.com/photos/enginemagic
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I am guilty of not using a Mirror or Video camera. Too lazy I guess. Maybe it's time that I get it set up.

I remember going to this dance club once in a while, but everytime I got there this one guy was always standing somewhat in front of a mirror watching no-one but himself for hours. Yep, he was nuts about himself, I wonder what he does when gets home???

My room is a total mess, one way or another I am going to have to get those mirrors up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Practice in front of a mirror... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL