The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Question about rabbits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
I just claimed one, which I would use first as a subject for my experiment (reaction time). I plan to use him in magic as soon as he gets trained with the basic stuff.

So here it goes...

He already knows how to go to the right place when he needs to 'go' and he hops whenever I call him.. the problem is, I can't make him jump over the ring I made. It was measured specially for him. He could hop over it, but if I command him to do so (i already did what they call 'conditioning'), he won't. Any tips on how to make him jump through?

And here's another query..

which effect using a rabbit is the easiest to do given my rabbit's current state?

answers are much appreciated.
cyssa
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
I had rabbits once.
I never tried to teach them tricks though.
This little boy rabbit I had once did a trick on his own.
He would jump up in your lap and want petting.
He would just lay there and enjoy it.
As soon as you stopped, he would pee on you and run away.

But as far as magic goes... easy to do...
Balloon to bunny and the bunny bucket comes to mind.
That is what I did with them.

Randi
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Production from a mirror box, and also something I swore I would never, ever do, because I thought it was way to "cliché": production from top hat.... I finally did it last month... People loved it! So much for promising yourself not to do something....

Have a nice day!

Louis
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I produce my rabbit out of a hat much like a hat load in a cups and balls routine. The only difference is that I have the bunny on a black plywood disk and then cover the rabbit with my hat.

Here's a link to the thread where I gave a full explanation:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......3&88

Page 3 at the bottom if you're interested.

Good luck!

Chad
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Cyssa:
You will notice that the responses you are getting to your question about “training” your rabbit to do tricks is not being responded to.

The most humane and entertaining way for a magician to use a rabbit, is as a production. Perhaps you are interested in doing an animal act where you have rabbits and other animals doing tricks. For the most part, people come to a magic show to see magic. Forcing (training) your rabbit to jump through a hoop has little to do with magic.

On the other hand, a rabbit appearing out of an otherwise “empty” box is always magical. Your rabbit does not have to do “tricks” in your show.

Incidentally, you did not “train” you rabbit to pill and pee in a spot in his cage, they do that eventually on their own when they decide to make housekeeping important in there life.

Bob
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
I don't know.
I use a parakeet in my show and I have been training it, and people love the tricks.

Animal tricks can have a place in a magic show.
It's entertaining. So why not?

Randi
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1610 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
You can only train a bunny if it's tame and use to having people around. The older the bunny, the easier it is to teach tricks.
It takes a lot of patience to do this. You cannot force the bunny to do what you want. They will do it on their own time.
It took me a long time to teach (Lucy) to stand on her hind leg on the top hat to the audience applause.
Give the bunny a treat every time he does something.
Richard (Tricky Ricky)
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Production techniques abound. I like the Wringer and Barry Mitchell's appearance box, which looks like a cage and has a hidden load. Gets 'em every time.

I have recently learned that if you stick a deck of cards in front of rabbits (at least my rabbit, and I hear others too), they will bite into one. So force cards and have them "pick" the right one. Watch out, though. If they do a good job you may have to raise their celery.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have many bunny production boxes. I like Abbott's Elusive Bunny Box best.

Richard, you just taught me something. I didn't know that older bunnies were easier to train. I guess the old saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" does not apply to rabbits!

Regan
Mister Mystery
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
As mentioned above, the standard mirror "flash production" box is a great effect, I currently using it in my show.

But if your looking for something a bit more "magical" I have a production box that has a small hole on the top lid. You first show the box empty, then show a silk with a "bunny" outline, put the silk in the box using the front door, pulling the corner of the silk up and out the top hole. You then pull the silk out the top of the box, showing the "Bunny" outline has vanished, open the front of the box to show the bunny.

If your interested in this PM and I will see if I still have a link to it.

As to why I don't use it, I link my current comedy routine with the standard mirror box. I am thinking of adding my second rabbit to my stage show next year, if I do I might use this, or I might use a fire cage production or might use a silk streamer covered production or .... Well you get the idea.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Billy, the box you described sounds like Abbott's Elusive Bunny Box. As I said above, that is my favorite bunny production box.
Mister Mystery
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Thanks Regan

That's it, I would also say it is my favorite, but I will continue to use flash production, do to how it works in my current show.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have the Flash Production Box also but I have not used it very much.
Mister Mystery
arkon476
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of arkon476
If you'd like to use positive reinforcement to train your bunny, here's the place to go.

Click here, then search on "bunny" and you'll find a load of helpful techniques and information.

Here's the link to the bunny book.
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Thank you so much for all the tips, and the advices on how to properly handle rabbits. The sites you guys gave benefited me a lot. Thank you very much.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Cyssa

You need to give the rabbits a bit more credit, The most humane thing to do is train your rabbit.

A rabbit is better off if you train him to do a few tricks, even if you never put them in a show. The training and rewards are play and exercise. My rabbit begs for practice (we play ball) to them it is play and the rewards you give as positive reinforcement are something they look forward to.

Rabbits do need something to stimulate both the mind and body, just like any animal for it to be happy and healthy.

Also in part of house breaking a rabbit you do train it were you want it to go. Usually the rabbit will pick the spot it wants to go, you put the litter box there, then start moving it a little each day until the little box is were you want it, and the rabbit is going were you want it to go.
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
“The most humane thing to do is train your rabbit.”
“A rabbit is better off if you train him to do a few tricks”
Amazing things to say:
I doubt if your rabbit would feel that way.
The humane and compassionate thing you can do for your rabbit is to give him a safe place to live, good nutrition, good exercise and activities to stimulate his senses. There should be safe toys and things to move around the cage and safe things to chew on to keep his or her teeth in good health.

Teaching him or her “tricks” benefits only your sense of control, not (I suppose) necessarily a bad thing.

Bob
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Another question... my rabbit seems constipated most of the time. Not really constipated but, his poop seemed to be less than normal. What can I feed him to make him normal again?

Hairball dissolvers aren't available here in the phils. the BioResearch owner didn't recommend that I use a cat's hairball dissolver for my rabbit, not unless I have a prescription.
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Cysssa,

What are you feeding him today? You mention BioResearch, that would lead me to guess pellets. Pellets are the food of choice for resource centers

Pellets are a good high nutrient food designed to give a rabbit everything it needs to grew fast but have a short life span. Timothy hay is the recommended food, I keep pellets in the cage as a backup food source for when they run out of hay

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego......sis.html
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2007-08-05 04:30, Cyssa wrote:
Another question... my rabbit seems constipated most of the time. Not really constipated but, his poop seemed to be less than normal. what can I feed him to make him normal again?

hairball dissolvers aren't available here in the phils. the BioResearch owner didn't recommend that I use a cat's hairball dissolver for my rabbit, not unless I have a prescription.

What do you mean by "less than normal" and what do you mean by “constipated most of the time”?

Rabbits can not have hairball problems as they can not throw up. To have hair in his droppings is normal and good. Hair balls are something a cat has problems with and are thrown up, not pooped out. Animals that groom will have hair in their droppings, and should.

How much and how often are you giving him fruit?

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Question about rabbits (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL