The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Question about rabbits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
abbascup
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of abbascup
Rabbit systems are very, very delicate! Timothy hay is needed to keep the system working properly. I do not feed my rabbits no more than 1/3 cup of pellets a day. They will feed more on the pellets and less on the hay that is needed.
Pellets are used mainly by breeders to fatten up rabbits. Large doses of some greens are great to help jump start their system again. Only certain greens are good for the rabbits. I feed my rabbits kale daily. They love it. A lot of times hair balls are said to be the cause of the rabbit's problem, when actually it is improper diet.

Another great thing to do is give your rabbit what is called Laxaire. It is a laxative that can be bought from a vet over the counter. It is for hairballs for cats and dogs but works great for rabbits. Mine love to lick this off the edge of their bowl. A couple times a week.

Again, please limit pellets so that the hay is ate!!!! If a rabbit's system stops they can die in only a few short days.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
It was my understanding that feeding a little Alfalfa hay helps against furballs??
Max
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 06:45, abbascup wrote:
Rabbit systems are very, very delicate! Timothy hay is needed to keep the system working properly. I do not feed my rabbits no more than 1/3 cup of pellets a day. They will feed more on the pellets and less on the hay that is needed.
Pellets are used mainly by breeders to fatten up rabbits. Large doses of some greens are great to help jump start their system again. Only certain greens are good for the rabbits. I feed my rabbits kale daily. They love it. A lot of times hair balls are said to be the cause of the rabbit's problem, when actually it is improper diet.

Another great thing to do is give your rabbit what is called Laxaire. It is a laxative that can be bought from a vet over the counter. It is for hairballs for cats and dogs but works great for rabbits. Mine love to lick this off the edge of their bowl. A couple times a week.

Again, please limit pellets so that the hay is ate!!!! If a rabbit's system stops they can die in only a few short days.

How have you determined that your rabbit has a hairball problem?

Bob
abbascup
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of abbascup
I have had both of my rabbits to a vet. They have taken x-rays of both that showed some blockage of their systems . That does not not necessarily mean it is all hair.
Rabbits are exesive groomers.

My mini rex got to the point where he only wanted to eat pellets and not hay. My rabbits were starting to get fat because of too many pellets. Once a layer of fat starts to develope on their back it can push down causing pressure on their system not allowing the food to pass through the system properly. His poop started to become very limited. I took the pellets away for a couple days and once a day fed him a large pile of kale with plenty of Timothy hay always in the cage. It is very crical that rabbits eat the Timothy hay to help keep this hair from collecting. The hay also helps keep the digestive system working properly. His system came right back to normal. Now I feed him no more than a third cup of pellets a day and he continues to eat his hay. He also has lost a lot of the excess fat.

Both rabitts love the Laxaire and it can even be given daily. It is more of a preventative thing. I believe a lot of problems with rabbitts not pooping regulary is because of diet. This is clearly evident with my mini rex and dwarf.

I have heard that small amounts of alphalfa hay helps with hair balls. I don't give it my rabbits because it is very rich and too much is not good either.

At Rabitt Secrets.com you can download a great book for rabbit care. It will tell you what kind of greens are good for rabbits and what kinds aren't. These small rabbits are great animals with very distinctive personalities. My rabbits are both males and I love the crazy little guys they are.

All of this is from experience with my two rabbits
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
I have had both of my rabbits to a vet. They have taken x-rays of both that showed some blockage of their systems . That does not not necessarily mean it is all hair.

I have no idea what “some blockage of their system” is supposed to mean. I would want a better explanation than that from a good veterinarian.

Quote:

Rabbits are NOT excessive groomers. They groom about as much as any animal that has fur to keep clean. Rabbits should be brushed at least twice a day, even more often if they are in an inside cage. The need for this brushing is rather logical when you think that in our captivity they do not have all the environmental things like rain, wind, shrubs and plants “grooming “ their coat.

Quote:
My mini rex got to the point where he only wanted to eat pellets and not hay.

What your rabbit wants to eat has little to do with what he should be eating. Pellets are not good as a basic food for a rabbit. The pellets are very high in fat and afford your rabbit little chance to wear down his teeth the way he needs to. Alfalfa is almost as fattening as the pellets, Timothy hay, on the other hand, is excellent for a rabbit.

Quote:
Once a layer of fat starts to develope on their back it can push down causing pressure on their system not allowing the food to pass through the system properly.

What food system is anywhere near the rabbits back? Any fat on your rabbit’s back is between the skin and skeletal system, relatively far away from the digestive system. If you vet is telling you this kind of stuff you should look for a vet with a veterinary degree.

Quote:
. His poop started to become very limited. I took the pellets away for a couple days and once a day fed him a large pile of kale with plenty of Timothy hay always in the cage. It is very crical that rabbits eat the Timothy hay to help keep this hair from collecting. The hay also helps keep the digestive system working properly.

You may be making this whole thing more complicated than it has to be. Your rabbit should have Timothy Hay available all the time. Roughage is (and should be) his main food. Greens (almost all of them) are a grate additive to his diet as is occasional fruit. By greens, I do not mean the white part of Kale or Iceburg lettuce, they have little or no nutritional value to a rabbit. You are pretty safe feeding you rabbit any green things that grow out of the ground. Many greens that you may normally throw away are very good for your rabbit; such as the green tops of carrots, green top of beats, green tops of celery.

Quote:
once a day fed him a large pile of kale

Large quantities of Kale are not good for your rabbit, Kale is not roughage, and roughage is what your rabbits needs for a good working digestive system.

QUOTE] I believe a lot of problems with rabbits not pooping regulary is because of diet.[/QUOTE]
If your rabbit really needs a laxative every day, something is very wrong. Roughage, not medications should be the basic food in your rabbit for a good working digestive system.

Bob
abbascup
View Profile
Loyal user
265 Posts

Profile of abbascup
You have twisted everything I have said! What is your problem??? From the very first post I have said to limit pellets and feed Timothy hay to the rabbits. I never said I gave the laxative everyday!!! I said it could be given everyday with no problem!!!!

The x ray I looked at with the vet showed a circular obstruction which was probably hair. Then yes you could see right on the xray how the fat was developing on the back and pushing downward on the whole system. You didn't look at the xray and have you ever seen an xray of an obstruction in the system??? If their system shuts down they go down hill very very fast.

My rabbits are very healthy and happy. I would feed my rabbit kale or any greens that are healthy and good for them before I made them live on a steady diet of pellets. They always have a pile of Timothy hay in the cage!!!
Folks, if you take your rabbits to vets, make sure you take it to one that is qualified for all creatures. Have a vet that has experience with rabbits and you will find they preach to you about diet!!!

Please also check out Rabbit secrets.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Question about rabbits (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL