The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » When a Child get hit smartly in the forehead from a prop. . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
It's the worst of all nightmares.

So I'm doing a holiday show at a local country club for children. It's my sixth year in a row. I'm very comfortable with the employees, members, and manager. Sounds like a picture perfect situation, right?!

The show goes fantasticly. At the end of my show, I introduce Santa (which I do a lot during the holidays. You'd think he'd remember me from show to show?)

Now, I use a footlocker to store my show. It's great because when I'm done, the lid shuts and no problems. Well this time I'm watching Santa come down the stairs and all the children oohing and aahing. It was a Saturday Evening Post cover I tell ya!

What I'm not seeing is a small child, probably 2 yrs old, just barely walking on his own, walk up to my footlocker, which I had inadvertantly left open, and go for a prop. He jarred the case, which sent the lid down, hitting the kid squarely on the head with the corner of the lid.

Of course the kid immediately starts bawling. I saw the whole thing happen, and actually, it wasn't that bad. Dad saw it happen too. Mom saw nothing. All she saw was her son, on the floor bawling, and dad quickly picking up the kid and whisking him into another room.

Later I find out that Mom will freak out over spilled milk. She's literally mortified. She seemed to be in some form of shock. As I said, it wasn't that bad. But dad took off with the kid, and left me there with freaked-out mom!

So I begin to take down my curtain, and get my stuff out to my truck. I get everything put away, and then came back in to see how everything was going.

The son was laughing. Dad appologized for allowing the kid to get away from him. Mom, is still in shock, but dad says she's "A nut case." Allllrighythen.

The manager wasn't at all concerned. Everything turned out just fine, thank goodness.

Troy Roark
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Couple of years ago we shattered a fluorescent tube in a hall over a party of kids with a flying marionette. We later found out that one little girl had gone to hospital later in the day to have a tiny slither of glass taken out of her scalp. We felt SO bad about it. We contacted our insurance company and they said: "do not apologise or make any contact with the parent". This made us feel ten times worse. Eventually I decided to phone the person who's party it was and ask her to explain the situation to the girl's parents. (We sent a cheque to the hall for a new light). No claim was made against us and we frequently see the same group. No matter how hard you try, how many years go by, something always comes along like this doesn't it? Toddlers can be a problem, - most responsible parents look after them, but some (very young mothers especially) can just let them go as if they are in a soft play area or such. Let's hope these are one off events for us both Troy. Smile

Cheers - Tony.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Public liability insurance is a must, especially whenb surrounded by incomitent parents who can't keep their ankle biters under control. One woman sued a local community centre when her toddler wanderd over to their disco unit and touched a flashing light and burnt it's hand. She blamed them, the fact she is responsible for looking after the kid didn't enter her head.

If a kid gets hurt by a flying prop, or walks into your table etc, you could end up losing your house if you don't have insurance. I'm with Equity and the membership includes £5,000,000 's worth of insurance.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I too have noticed what Equity (British Actors/Entertainers Trades Union) offers Clive. I binned my card way back in 1980 along with my Musicians Union card - whom I had even been on the English North West Council with at one time as an official. I think I was suffering from the symptoms of a heavy dose of Thatcherism at the time. Our current private policy costs £75 a year for £2M cover. I believe Equity offer this excellent benefit but do charge Union subs. according to your income. How do the two compare?

Smile
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Along with the Equity I get legal cover, I think you pay £75 up to a certain point, I think it's up to your net earnings from performing reaching £10,000 then it's 1% of your net earnings, I think it's worth it's wieght in gold. I get £5,000,000 of liability insurance, I also get help if I get the odd bad booker/payer. I've used them twice this year where I got to parties only to find there wasn't one. the booker had cancelled the party and told everyone but me. After they ignored my letters for payment, I contacted Equity who took up the case and I got my money back. Once I contacted Equity about it I didn't have to do a thing they took them to court etc and I got my money. It's all part and parrcel of the membership.

Your also on there entertainers database if anyones searching for an act for an event. My name Emazdad is also registered so no-one else can use it.

The union subs are all part of the membership fee but the union business is all based around the actors needs more than anything elseso you don't really notice it. I joined soley for the legal and insurance cover and have no complaints.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
I've been carrying $1,000,000 in liability for about ten years now. I've never used it, which is the point in having it I suppose.

Troy Roark
"hitting kids squarely in the head with props since 2002."
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2099 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Quentin Renolds is exellent at safety with children
Matt
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
This is why I carry public liability insurance. You just never know when something like this can happen to you. It is best to be prepared.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Worse I ever had happen was at a Lion's club Christmas party. I was doing the Ropes Through A Person and the kid stepped forward instead of backwards and got the stretching ropes right across the throat! He seemed to be OK, and nobody got mad.

Weird thing? This was the only time I've ever managed to get on television. (The event was being held for the Children's Cancer Ward and two stations were covering it.) Channel 6 had some small stuff (dye blow, color changing records) and what shot did Channel 12 show but the kid getting the ropes in the throat!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Hmmm if a child gets hit the head with a prop there is not much you can do...

To quote the simpson "Make sure you hit them an EVEN number of times so they don't get amnesia"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7376 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-05-28 20:14, mandrake01 wrote:
Worse I ever had happen was at a Lion's club Christmas party. I was doing the Ropes Through A Person and the kid stepped forward instead of backwards and got the stretching ropes right across the throat! He seemed to be OK, and nobody got mad.

I don't physically understand how this can happen. Can you explain?

When I perform it the ropes are at waist level, never near the neck. The volunteer that is being "passed through" doesn't move, just stands there holding the rings. The other volunteer holding the other end of the set of ropes, stands still or is asked to take a step backwards (away from me), therefor pulling the ropes through. I only ask the person doing the pulling to step back when it is safe for them to move on the stage (some stages are too small). All or most of the pulling and motion is done by me, so I am in control.

Do you use a different presentation?

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2004-05-28 21:20, The Gr8 DonaldD wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-05-28 20:14, mandrake01 wrote:

I don't physically understand how this can happen. Can you explain?

When I perform it the ropes are at waist level, never near the neck. The volunteer that is being "passed through" doesn't move, just stands there holding the rings. The other volunteer holding the other end of the set of ropes, stands still or is asked to take a step backwards (away from me), therefor pulling the ropes through. I only ask the person doing the pulling to step back when it is safe for them to move on the stage (some stages are too small). All or most of the pulling and motion is done by me, so I am in control.

Do you use a different presentation?

- Donald.

I do the ropes through the coat which I thought I'd made a major improvement by having a spectator wear the coat and have the ropes pass through him! (Mark Wilson put this idea in the Complete Course, but I was doing it over ten years ago.)
So the ropes come out of the sleeves and he stepped forward instead of back.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » When a Child get hit smartly in the forehead from a prop. . . (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL